Celica Hobby
Posted By: supra_celica Which gauges and roof spoiler - Apr 29, 2003 10:38pm
Well, I decided to get the roof spoiler and gauges from the Lost Rican. I'm trying to sort my differences out with him/them. I am ordering the gauge pod and roof spoiler. 3 questions...
1) Which gauges should I put in there with only a CAI, exhaust, flywheel, clutch, and Hotchkis suspension as mods?
2) How difficult is it to install the pod and the gauges themselves?
3) How difficult is it to install the roof spoiler and how much should it cost to be painted? Can I install this myself after it's painted? Thanks again guys.
Here's the pod: https://celicahobby.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=99
and here's the roof spoiler: https://celicahobby.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34_23&products_id=121

[ 04-29-2003, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: supra_celica ]
Posted By: Satoshi Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - Apr 30, 2003 1:32am
http://plaza.umin.ac.jp/~satoshi/mod01Gen.html

[Linked Image from plaza.umin.ac.jp]
Posted By: RicePowered Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - Apr 30, 2003 1:43am
for the gauges a lot of people use a Voltmeter and Air/Fuel Ratio ... that's what I have, these two are the easiest to install.

Other good ones are any type of Temp Gauge but they're harder to install.

As the the gauge pos itself, if you plan on doing it yourself your gonna half to do some sanding and fitting. It's not that had to install
Posted By: supra_celica Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - Apr 30, 2003 1:24pm
Thanks satoshi and Ricepowered. Can you paint fiberglass parts yourself? If it is possible I would love to know how. I hope it's not that difficult. If it saves me lots of money, then I wanna try. If it doesn't save that much, then I'll just get it paited by a professional. Let me someone, thanks.

[ 04-30-2003, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: supra_celica ]
Posted By: RicePowered Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - Apr 30, 2003 1:26pm
I painted mine by myself ... after a week a hated it and had it professional painted to color-match my car.
Posted By: supra_celica Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - Apr 30, 2003 1:27pm
you have this same part? How much did it cost to paint?
Posted By: RicePowered Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - Apr 30, 2003 1:32pm
yeah I bought the gauge pod from lostrican ... took some finishing like sanding to a smooth finish ... sanding out the openings for the gauges to fit ... doing a filling glaze.

Stupid little things that any bodyshop will do before painting.

As for costs I'd guess no more than $30.00 but I don't know because I got mine done for free. I know the shop.
Posted By: supra_celica Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - Apr 30, 2003 1:57pm
I ment the roof spoiler, but that works, too. Thanks.
Posted By: Satoshi Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - Apr 30, 2003 2:10pm
sanding, priming, paiting red, and finishing with clear urethane
of course you can do it yourself, but the professional's painting is worth to pay

in japan, only paiting will cost over $100 !
Posted By: supra_celica Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - Apr 30, 2003 2:11pm
I thought it camed primed, ready to be painted? I'm confused. Thanks.
Posted By: RicePowered Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - Apr 30, 2003 2:21pm
Originally posted by supra_celica:
I thought it camed primed, ready to be painted? I'm confused. Thanks.
it will probably be close ... but nothing ever comes full primed and ready to paint there's always something that has to be done. Either a final sanding or maybe some pin-hole filling.
Posted By: supra_celica Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - Apr 30, 2003 6:43pm
some pin-hole filling.

What is that? I bought a hood scoop from him a while ago. The prime looked good to me, but it had chips in the corners. What is some pin-hole filling, though?
Posted By: RicePowered Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - Apr 30, 2003 6:51pm
they are just fine surface imperfections or small little divits about the size of a pen-tip. You really can't notice them until the piece is painted and clear-coated. Then they become really noticable.
Posted By: supra_celica Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - May 1, 2003 7:19am
Got any pics of that stuff? I think the hood scoop is free of those, but I don't know. If I were to take it to a bodyshop, then we both know they'd tell me that it has to be re-primed or whatever. The surface is smooth. I can send a pic if you want. Just email me and I can send it.
Thanks again, Rob
Posted By: RicePowered Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - May 2, 2003 1:19pm
confused spineyes
Posted By: supra_celica Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - May 2, 2003 1:41pm
I can send pics of the hood scoop to see if it has any of those pin holes in it. The roofspoiler and gauge pod are on the way as well. I can post pics of those, too. Let me know if you wanna' see 'em.
Posted By: RicePowered Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - May 2, 2003 2:06pm
you can post pics if you want even though we probalby won't be able to really make anything out.

I say if you want it done right and perfect just have a shop do it. thumbsup
Posted By: DeeJayX Re: Which gauges and roof spoiler - May 2, 2003 2:18pm
ha ha...I owned 'every' thread. I knocked the locked topics down to the other page wave thumbsup
© Celica Hobby