Celica Hobby
Posted By: GTS2003BLK Color of old transmission oil? - Oct 13, 2004 7:53pm
Changed my manual transmission oil yesterday, and I was shocked at the color of the old oil that came out; looked like river mud, sort of dark greenish brown in color.

Caught some in a clear glass jar and held it up to the sun and could not even see any light through it. Is this what other people are seeing when they change theirs?

Only 12.8K miles on the original oil.
Posted By: Chelica815 Re: Color of old transmission oil? - Oct 13, 2004 7:55pm
Man, I think I need to change mine pronto then.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Color of old transmission oil? - Oct 13, 2004 7:56pm
your tranny oil is good for 100k. Dont worry about it
Posted By: GTS2003BLK Re: Color of old transmission oil? - Oct 13, 2004 8:24pm
^ Maybe so, but I noticed big improvements after changing the tranny oil; smoother shifting, squeaking noise when shifting 1st to 2nd went away, overall the gear box is quieter.
Posted By: sxyimports125 Re: Color of old transmission oil? - Oct 13, 2004 8:41pm
Did mine 2 weeks ago and it didn't come close to what you described your tranny oil to look like.

I have 75k miles on my car before I changed it. Looked darker but normal looking if you know what I mean.

Good thing you changed it thumbsup
Posted By: Haulin_A_Doo Re: Color of old transmission oil? - Oct 14, 2004 2:40am
Have your tranny cooler pressure tested; you may be getting some antifreeze mixing with it. That is if your manual tranny has a tranny cooler? confused
Posted By: slidr Re: Color of old transmission oil? - Oct 14, 2004 2:45am
Originally Posted by GTS2003BLK
^ Maybe so, but I noticed big improvements after changing the tranny oil; smoother shifting, squeaking noise when shifting 1st to 2nd went away, overall the gear box is quieter.
The squeaking does not come from the gear box. It's under the hood, and it should be back.
Posted By: hephaestus Re: Color of old transmission oil? - Oct 14, 2004 3:18am
I didn't notice any difference with new trans oil per say MT-90 for normal driving especially in squeaking noise or shifts. Only when I pushed the Celica hard and I mean hard for long period of say over at least 5 mins. that I noticed a difference and not with noises or a sh*ty shifter. Also, how many people that drive Celicas have a transmission cooler? I would love to install one and an oil cooler and Prodrive pump with a baffled oil pan.
Posted By: Haulin_A_Doo Re: Color of old transmission oil? - Oct 14, 2004 3:19am
All autos have them, don't the manuals?
Posted By: GTS2003BLK Re: Color of old transmission oil? - Oct 15, 2004 3:05pm
Originally Posted by slidr
Originally Posted by GTS2003BLK
The squeaking does not come from the gear box. It's under the hood, and it should be back.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but odly enough the noise is gone, maybe when my funnel hose setup leaked oil everywhere I got some on the linkage, who knows, I'm just glad the noise is gone.
Posted By: GTS2003BLK Re: Color of old transmission oil? - Oct 15, 2004 3:11pm
So to anyone else who has changed their manual trans fluid; what color was it, and could you see through it?
© Celica Hobby