Celica Hobby
Posted By: Solarian I think I found the car that fits my butt! - Apr 10, 2004 5:34am
Yeah, yeah, I know this is a Celica forum, but I just got back from test driving a 2003 mr2 spyder. OMFG I LOVE THIS CAR! The handling is perfect, it feels like it has a little better speed than the Celica GT (most likely due to it's weight), and, to me, it has more room in the driver/passenger area than the Celica. Yes, this car lacks in cargo space, but that's not an issue. I've been driving around in a reg. cab Tacoma, which I never use the bed.

So, what do you guys think of the spyder? I'm really considering getting this car, not the sequencial (sp?), the regular 5 speed manual. Do ya'll know anyone that has one?
Posted By: Vampyre Re: I think I found the car that fits my butt! - Apr 10, 2004 5:44am
Why not go for a late-mid 90's MR2 Turbo? Or perhaps try and Celica GTS and adjust the steering wheel and seat level this time..?
The new 6 speed is comming out for the spyder real soon! It actually might already be out! GET THAT! thumbsup
I would still get the Celica
Posted By: Vampyre Re: I think I found the car that fits my butt! - Apr 10, 2004 5:53am
Originally Posted by gtscelica05
I would still get the Celica

Same.. I know the MR2's were a hassle to work on and kind of expensive, don't imagine much has changed, plus always having a rag top may not be that great.. then again I'm not much of a convertible fan.
Posted By: Solarian Re: I think I found the car that fits my butt! - Apr 10, 2004 6:00am
Why not go for a late-mid 90's MR2 Turbo? Or perhaps try and Celica GTS and adjust the steering wheel and seat level this time..?
For the late-mid 90's MR2 Turbo: I want to buy new (one year old max) and I'm not looking for incredible speed. This car felt just right in terms of Performance. The Celica's are nice, but I'm not 100% thrilled with the body design, and the interior just feels cramped. Ya gotta get a car that looks perfect to you and feels perfect to drive. Also, the Spyder's handling and visibility was better than the GT, to me. On a final note, I'm not a fan of 6-speed.

know the MR2's were a hassle to work on and kind of expensive, don't imagine much has changed, plus always having a rag top may not be that great.. then again I'm not much of a convertible fan.
I'm not going to be doing any mods on this, maybe a roll bar and momo shift knob, but that's it. I also take my truck to an auto-shop out here that's been nothing but great to me and my family for five years now, so the most I'll be doing is an oil change, but one thing to keep in mind is that the Spyder actually has a Celica engine. I LOVE convertibles!
Posted By: Vampyre Re: I think I found the car that fits my butt! - Apr 10, 2004 6:15am
Spyder has the GT engine I take it? As far as I know the only other cars out there that have the GTS engine (2zz-ge) are the Matrix XR-S & Lotus Elise.

But hey man, if the vehicle feels right for you then go with what you think, as that's the only opinion that counts. I had one hell of a hard time finding a vehicle I was happy with, and even then.. the Celica was my last resort, I even bought a vehicle, had it for three weeks and I didn't like it so I traded it in and lost out big bucks, so make sure you love that car before you get it. But sounds like you are already convinced that you enjoy the MR-S so go with it, and then get some pics and show us! smile
Posted By: MptGlw69 Re: I think I found the car that fits my butt! - Apr 10, 2004 6:28am
Go for it then. It's a pretty nice looking car stock. thumbsup
Posted By: aspen Re: I think I found the car that fits my butt! - Apr 10, 2004 6:55am
do whats your hearts says.. thumbsup
i have one (well my dad) but i drive it sometimes, he also bought an SUV because the mr2 spyder is too small for an everyday car...

its an awsome ride, but its more of a weekend vehicle IMO

Posted By: v3n0m Re: I think I found the car that fits my butt! - Apr 10, 2004 8:00am
MR2's have a bug-eye look to them and they're kind of a chick's car.
Originally Posted by v3n0m
werd
Originally Posted by kimchiman201
werd

and the celica is also predominantly a 'chic's car' whats your point?

the mr2 spyder is a good car..you'll enjoy it i'm sure.

kinda curious how it has more room up front than a celica..i've been in those myself and it's more or less the same i feel. (maybe the steering wheel is higher so your legs fit it better, perhaps?)

it also has a decent aftermarket if you're interested in that thumbsup
True. I don't think they look better than the Celica. But if you're happy with it then go for it. You're gonna be the one driving your car, not anyone else so go for what YOU want. thumbsup

Posted By: Solarian Re: I think I found the car that fits my butt! - Apr 10, 2004 5:06pm
i have one (well my dad) but i drive it sometimes
What do you think of it spaztikid, besides it being more of a weekend driver?

Posted By: oas Re: I think I found the car that fits my butt! - Apr 10, 2004 5:10pm
some 18 on the mr2 and its sweet
Go for it dude...Those are nice cars!

It's a Toyota, so you'll be fine...BTW, is it a new or used one?
MR-S is on my list of cars to get before I drive. Yes, I really do have a list.
nice man!!get it!! screw the celi!!
Posted By: xmangt1 Re: I think I found the car that fits my butt! - Apr 11, 2004 3:21am
Way too small for me. But if you really want it, get it thumbsup
what color?
Let's see, mid-engine 1zz-fe, rear wheel drive, light as hell, handling like it's on rails, convertible, sexy as hell with the right body kit (pretty damn hot stock too), convertible, available JDM carbon fibre hardtop (which looks hot too). Soon to have a 6spd tranny. What's not to like? Go for it! I want one!
Posted By: Solarian Re: I think I found the car that fits my butt! - Apr 11, 2004 4:38am
I'm going used, and probably the dark blue. There's this NICE dark gray w/ red leather interior and top (you can see it on the site), but those are rare. If I can find that and take a look at it in person, I'll go with that color. I'm kinda undecided on new vs. used, since they have awesome depreciation, so new might be the way to go.
Originally Posted by Solarian
I'm going used, and probably the dark blue. There's this NICE dark gray w/ red leather interior and top (you can see it on the site), but those are rare. If I can find that and take a look at it in person, I'll go with that color. I'm kinda undecided on new vs. used, since they have awesome depreciation, so new might be the way to go.

and to add to that depreciation: the mrs is supposed to be discontinued for the '05 model year
Posted By: Solarian Re: I think I found the car that fits my butt! - Apr 11, 2004 6:18am
Well then, I'm going USED! Shooting for a 04 model, of course.

What do you guys think will come in 05? New Celica, new Supra, new both?
Originally Posted by Solarian
Well then, I'm going USED! Shooting for a 04 model, of course.

What do you guys think will come in 05? New Celica, new Supra, new both?

it's speculated that toyota will reveal a new celica for 05. (nothing solid)

new supra is nowhere in the picture as of yet.
MR2 is a nice car, the low horsepower can easily be made up for because of the low weight and handling better than the celica. I also like the look of it, looks better than a boxster. Only defects that I know of- Pricey for such low power- Doesn't come with a hardtop. With a hardtop it looks a lot better, plus this way you can race. thumbsup

Attached picture 1869927522-2.jpg
Originally Posted by BReakinDrifTs
MR2 is a nice car, the low horsepower can easily be made up for because of the low weight and handling better than the celica. I also like the look of it, looks better than a boxster. Only defects that I know of- Pricey for such low power- Doesn't come with a hardtop. With a hardtop it looks a lot better, plus this way you can race. thumbsup

ditto the hardtop.

they have a jdm hardtop though that you can order (it's expensive, but worth it, imo). i'm definately not a fan of soft tops.
© Celica Hobby