Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#9891 Mar 18, 6:54pm
hey, i was wandering...
What would it take to swap out the gt engine and tranny for the gts with 6speed. This is down the road, but it's never to early to research. I know i would need the engine, tranny, ecu, all the connection stuff also(usually comes in a package with the engine/transmission). But would any thing else be needed? Would the knew engine drop right in where the old one was? what about the transmission, any problems there? Also, how much would it end up costing for this whole setup? kind of vague, i know, but thanks to anyone with help.

~~Ryan~~ `n stuff

Honestly...the whole thing is gonna cost you alot...and the smartest thing to do is trade your car in for a gts...You should of thought about it before you bought the car cry

Its not what you think...its what you do..

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Smartest thing is save up and buy a turbo kit for the GT instead of doing engine swap. A turboed GT will be way faster than stock GTS, a turboed GT will have more HP than a turboed GTS because GT engine can handle more pressure than GTS.
Use the money you saved up build up the engine to take more boost smile

#9894 Mar 18, 8:08pm
Honestly...the whole thing is gonna cost you alot...and the smartest thing to do is trade your car in for a gts...You should of thought about it before you bought the car
man would i have loved to have had the money for a gts, but unfortunately patience flew out the window when i saw the 2000 gt. i just couldnt wait, and though i regret it know, i guess i am stuck with it. so i guess i'll just make due with what i have. It sucks though that just about any honda civic shoot its hp up 50% by swapping out for the vtec b18 from an integra, but i cant do the same with the same car. frown
grrr. oh well.
And btw, Mike Lu, what kind of turbo do you have on your gt? and what is necessary internaly in the engine to add the turbo? thanks alot

~~Ryan~~ `n stuff

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
I dont know what Mike Lu is talking about more pressure? I think he means the GT has lower compression needed when adding any forced induction such as a turbo...but he is right less work to add a turbo to a GT due to its lower compression ratio.

Good luck, thats the way I would go dude
TURBO all the way

redracer #9896 Mar 19, 12:52am
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Yeah I am running at 7.1psi and already dynoed at 223.1HP to the wheels, however MR2 Spyder forum people said they have boosted a spyder up to 15psi without changing internals (325+HP to the wheels which is kinda dangerous at that high boost)
I would say 10psi is safe for a GT engine which yields around 275HP to the wheels and thats about as much as one need on a sub 2500lb car smile

#9897 Mar 19, 12:53am
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Originally posted by redracer:
I dont know what Mike Lu is talking about more pressure? I think he means the GT has lower compression needed when adding any forced induction such as a turbo...but he is right less work to add a turbo to a GT due to its lower compression ratio.

Good luck, thats the way I would go dude
TURBO all the way
yeah I am talking psi (pressure) Because of the lower compression piston in a 1ZZ engine it can handle more boost to get more HP out of the engine.

#9898 Mar 19, 4:05am
Originally posted by Mike Lu:
Smartest thing is save up and buy a turbo kit for the GT instead of doing engine swap. A turboed GT will be way faster than stock GTS, a turboed GT will have more HP than a turboed GTS because GT engine can handle more pressure than GTS.
Use the money you saved up build up the engine to take more boost smile
wo0t.. that's what i like to hear grin i actually had the opportunity to get a GTS, but i bought a GT at the last minute solely for this reason $$

//2k3 zephBlue celica