1995 Toyota Celica ST
wil it fit easily

ECelica Staff
ECelica Staff
Whats the question ?

1995 Toyota Celica ST
1995 Toyota Celica ST
will a GT engine fit into an ST.

someone told me that the engine bays are different, and you would have to cut the firewall

is this true or will it fit without to much modification

1995 Toyota Celica ST
1995 Toyota Celica ST
i got the car, and i love it but i am still wandering about the engine, does anybody have an idea if it will fit or not

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
It should have the same engine bay because all they did was take the same car and put either motor in, the only troublesome thing may be different size motor mounts or locations of them. Try a 6th Gen celica site like toyotacelicas.com [toyotacelicas.com] and ask them the same question. THIS site is specifically for 7th gen's

Last edited by OOSilver_S; Feb 17, 2004 9:20am.

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by Celicaracer18
will a GT engine fit into an ST.

someone told me that the engine bays are different, and you would have to cut the firewall

is this true or will it fit without to much modification
no it wont fit that easily!st 7af gt 5sfe.7af sits straight up and 5sfe sits at an angle.the mounts have to be changed(i'm talking about the actual mounts and bosses on the body.the swapp isnt too hard but possible.if you are about to do it why dont you go all the way and put a 3sgte or even the 3sge non turbo.

HYBRID:resulting from the combination of two or more mechanically dissimilar origins!
"...... code":every man is a shadow,let him be treated as such,until proven otherwise by a show of character or code!

1995 Toyota Celica ST
1995 Toyota Celica ST
well how much would that engine cost

what car is origanlly in

1995 Toyota Celica ST
1995 Toyota Celica ST
well how much would that engine cost

what car is it origanlly in

can anyone tell me

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
3s motors were original equipment in earlier celicas. the 3sgte was in the All-trac turbo, the 3sge n/A motor was in older GTS models, either should fit just fine.

the 1zz isn't that big of a motor, it shold fit okay, it's finding motor mounts that will be a challenge; you may have to get them custom made.

Just go with a 3s motor, either should swap in fine with the correct motor mounts (look at earlier celicas to source out the parts)

Most wrecking yards will have 3sge motors, many were put into circulation. 3sgte will be a bit harder, as not many all-trac's were made for US export, However, if you are seriously considering this swap, you can contact some engine shops that import JDM motors and forint clips, you can usually get a JDM 3sgte with tranny for about $500-$2000 depending on how much mileage is on the motor, or if it's been rebuilt or not. you can get parts easily, and a rebuild shouldn't set you back too much, maybe about $500-$1000 depending on how much work needs to be done, less if you find a good shop that's willing to cut a deal.

Bust out the phone book, and start making some calls. I don't know how much you're willing to spend, but if you call around, ask plenty of questions and stick to your project goals, I'mm pretty sure you can stay within your budget.

1995 Toyota Celica ST
1995 Toyota Celica ST
thanx man that truly helps me out, i def think i am going to try and swap to the 3sgte if i can do it for less than 5 grand. i am getting at least 8000 for graduation, if you ask how, it's b/c my grandfather opened a Pioneer fund for me when i was bor and ivested into it ever since then. it is currently over $6000, and wil most likely be higher by June. my parents also have told me they will pay me $2000 when i graduate(hopefully more) since the owe me over $1500. and i am hoping i will get close to $1000 from other relatives and friends from church and such put together.

however i am not going to invest this into an engine swap. i have decide i am going to try to buy a 7th gen celica. i really like the GTS. before i was thinking about trading this car in and i still may, but if i have enough i would like to keep it and do the swap later and make it just for racing, where as my new one would be my daily driver. aside from all money given to me, if i make nearly $800 a month and have no bills (tuition is free at my local junior collage fo anyone in lauderdale county, and my parents will pay for books, and i will still live at home) i shoul be able to save 10,000 by the time i graduate from junior collage. of coarse i will never be able to save that much driving a stock celica. so at least half of that will be invested into the newer celica. at some point before i leave Mississippi, i should be able to do the swap, but i really would like for my drag car to be rear wheel drive, if i can't

1995 Toyota Celica ST
1995 Toyota Celica ST
but i really would like for my drag car to be rear wheel drive, if i can't convert i will probably trade in the 95 celi and get a rear wheel drive vehicle (possibly a supra) but that would mean i wiould have to wait longer before i fix up that engine

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
but i really would like for my drag car to be rear wheel drive, if i can't convert i will probably trade in the 95 celi and get a rear wheel drive vehicle (possibly a supra) but that would mean i wiould have to wait longer before i fix up that engine
dude it was long time since i have been on this site and just saw the posts.
you can pick a 3sgte up on ebay for around 1100.00 to 1800.00 depends on whether its 2nd gen or 3rd gen and whether it comes with tranny and ecu.i will suggest that you buy the mr2 3sgte with the tranny,the tranny from the mr2 can be used in the celica.but the awd tranny from the gt4 cannot be used in the celica unless you intend to go awd.i think you can do the swappe for the 5 grand that you have if you do work yourself.and note.if you get the 2nd gen get the maf one time and if you come across the 3rd gen 3sgte even if it costs up to 400.00 more,buy it.if you really want a rear wheel drive celica.you can still use the 3sgte with a w 56 or 58 tranny and back half the celica, put on some ladder bars or four link and get a ford 9 inch rear end off ebay for cheap and cut it short.you dont even have to change the shafts get a machine shop(the same one who will cut it)to cut the shafts and respline them.that way its done cheap.the 3sgte would still not have the power to bust the 9 inch even if it has the 28 spline shafts.
4 link 400.00,ford 9 inch 200.00 adjustable chassis engineering coilovers 350.00,plus the labour to cut and weld everything.it could be pretty cheap if you are doing some of the work yourself.me and a few buddies of mine backhalfed a 1993 celica and put a gnx motor in in only two weekends.the hardest part(that took some real time to get right which shouldnt have been)was getting a custom aluminum drive shaft in with the right angle.the name hybridcelica came because of that project,of turning the 1993 celi rear wheel with a grandnational package.scary fucking fast,but i had to sell it(without my motor though)would have killed me,almost did a couple of times too rofl

HYBRID:resulting from the combination of two or more mechanically dissimilar origins!
"...... code":every man is a shadow,let him be treated as such,until proven otherwise by a show of character or code!

1995 Toyota Celica ST
1995 Toyota Celica ST
Originally Posted by hybridcelica
i think you can do the swappe for the 5 grand that you have if you do work yourself.

is this for the entire swap, including engine, tranny and RWD swap

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by hybridcelica
i think you can do the swappe for the 5 grand that you have if you do work yourself.

is this for the entire swap, including engine, tranny and RWD swap
the 5 grand can do the 3sgte in the celica swappe,front wheel only.thats if you happen to get a 3sgte from an mr2 with the transmission.the only hard part is that you need to bring the altinator back up to the top(its location is diffrent on the celica 3sgte )and get an aftermarket intercooler.the rear wheel drive will cost more,since,the added expenses will increase the cost.it all depends on how much of the work you can do yourself.if i had to do a 3sgte swappe in a gt as opposed to an st celica it would cost me about 5 grand including rear wheel drive conversion.but thats because i would do some of the work and my buddies would help me.(these guys build 8sec race cars from from "i have a 502 big block i'm gonna turbo charge it and build mysef a car")so it all depends on what kind of resources you have.just dont go spending the money in a stupid way,take your time.oh.forgot,dont by the first gen motor,you can recognize it by the intercooler on the top it looks red and grey and its water to air.the latest version would have 4 big intake runners as opposed to the 1st and 2nd gen that have 8 small runners.
in the rear wheel conversiion that i did with my celica,i used an aluminum motor plate for mounts it simplifies everything(instead of cuttting and welding new mounts)it works great for the 3sgte,cause remember that where the turbo and manifold sits is where you would have to fabricate something to hold the motor in rear wheel drive applications.

1995 Toyota Celica ST
1995 Toyota Celica ST
ok, thanx.

what year MR2 specificly would be the best