Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

I need a write up on installing eibach springs using strut springs compressor (hand-cranked). I just want to know the set up and info on taking it out and installing it. Like what the go about, stepwise please grin . I"m doing it this Sunday w/ my brother and just rented the strut spring compressor today. and thanks much for all your help!!!

P.S. i'm posting in other celica forums too, so that i can get as much info as possible thumbsup

Life is like a dream...Hopefully when you wake up it isn't like mine.

The fronts are pretty straight forward just remove the strut assembly and take it to a work bench compress the spring now take the strut apart, pull the spring off the strut and decompress the spring. Be very careful that the spring compressor doesn't move around while the spring is clamped, if it does the spring could fly off. Now compress the new spring put it on the strut assembly and reassemble the strut. Now decompress the new spring and reinstall it on the car. Now the backs are a little bit more tricky. To take the strut off you need to pull some of the interior plastics off to get to the top nuts. The strut is going to be a little hard to get off the back. An extra person is needed on the back. To get the strut off without having to take anything else off you will need to wiggle and move it around to get it our(it is a very tight fit) when you get it off remove and reinstall the spring the same as on the front. Then put the strut back on the car again it is a tight fit getting them on. Good luck and if you have anymore questions just ask.

EDIT The bolt holding the back struts on at the bottom is going to be on tight as hell. I'd suggest spraying those with WD-40 and let it sit on them while you do the front and then use a 1/2" breakover bar. Also on the strut compressor if you have access to air tools those will help when compressing the spring.

[ 03-05-2003, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Silver GTS ]

where are you going to do it this sunday?

probably in Elgin (my brother in law house) he has a 2 car garage. If you're interested in doing the installation PM me your cell, i'll call you Sunday morning and let you know. BTW i rented the strut spring compressor, we just need tools to take out the struts. Equipments already have ( 2 jack stands, 2 hydraulic jacks, and various tools). well let me know if you're interested. thumbsup

Oh man!!!!! The bolt holding the back strut is a pain in the asss! i couldn't get it off! So i'm sitting and eating now while waiting for the oil to soak in. Hopefully we can get it off. DAMNNN i'm pissed.

ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
yeah... that was a pain in the ass... we had to use an air gun on it. Good luck, man. smile

[ 03-08-2003, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: tony ]

[Linked Image]
Really BAD reality TV is the reason I stopped watching MTV.

You think it'll be possible to unbolt using hand tools instead of airgun?

ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I am sure it is possible. But, we couldn't do it.

[Linked Image]
Really BAD reality TV is the reason I stopped watching MTV.

yea i couldn't do it too, holly shieet it's hard. the front is easy though. thanks much Tony!

2003 Zephyr Blue Celica GT
2003 Zephyr Blue Celica GT
rock it a bit while someone helps you hammer it out...

Originally posted by AM03GT:
rock it a bit while someone helps you hammer it out...
BADDDD idea. if you hammer and the bolt teeth get smush, then installing springs is out of the question grin . I have to cut the bolt and put a new one back in its place. And how do we go about rocking it?? The thing we did was jacked up the rear disc brake system up so that there isn't a lot of weight on the bolt but it still didn't work. oh well. lemme see if i have any luck today.

Try putting either a rachet or breakover bar on the bolt and then put a piece of pipe on the rachet and use that for more leverage. I had to have my brother break it off on my car.

same here. My brother and I did hell of a job. We tried like what you said last night, using a piece of pipe but it didn't work. So this morning we went and got a long breaker bar and bought a new socket (18 dollars socket) and it finally came off. The work is finished. just wait for a test drive and re-align everything thumbsup