Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
i'm kinda short on money, but my friend says that a simple k&n cone air filter makes the gts's rev sound so awesome, so i figured i'd get one, they are only like 30 bucks online...but the thing is, does anyone know if it'll fit without a special 'adapter'? Also, if you know a cheap place to get the filter, let me know. Thanks a bunch thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Not just another girl's car...

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
no it does need adaptor. Better yet get Short Ram intake system or Cold Air intake system. They average around $200 (includes filter).
Cold air intake gives more HP however it is dangerous to drive this in areas that rains alot, because they rout the filter all the way to the front of the wheels which is around 2" above ground. If it sucks in water then you are screwed.
Short Ram intake is safer because less likely to suck in water, however it is close to engine which means it sucks in hot air. Hot air hurts performance of the engine, thus gives less HP.

05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
Get the Injen Shortam, my bro and I just took my celica out and red lined it, ohhh man the intake sounds soo sweet, and when the lift kicks in, shhhhabam.

SUBARU TECNICA INTERNATIONAL

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
I would, but i just spent all my money on some other shit, and i have bout 100 bucks, and i was gonna start smaller on the mods first, so i was just considering an air filter...

ct
C'mon & hit me!
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
C'mon & hit me!
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
DON'T BOTHER WITH A DROP IN FILTER!! I DID JUST WHAT YOU DID AND NOW I REGRET IT. I PAID 40-50 FOR A DROP IN ...THEN WEEKS LATER I PAYED 200 FOR A SHORT RAM. I COULD HAVE SAVED 40-50 BUCKS, TAHT MONEY COULD HAVE BEEN USED ON MY INTAKE..OR ANY OTHER MODS. BE PATIENT, BESIDES A DROP IN ONLY GETS YOU 1-2 HORSES...NOT WORTH IT. YOU WON'T EVEN FEEL IT. WHY DON'T YOU PUT 100 CASH AND 100 ON A CREDIT CARD? DON'T WORRY..THAT INTAKE IS WORTH THE WAIT

ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Originally posted by ct:
DON'T BOTHER WITH A DROP IN FILTER!! I DID JUST WHAT YOU DID AND NOW I REGRET IT. I PAID 40-50 FOR A DROP IN ...THEN WEEKS LATER I PAYED 200 FOR A SHORT RAM. I COULD HAVE SAVED 40-50 BUCKS, TAHT MONEY COULD HAVE BEEN USED ON MY INTAKE..OR ANY OTHER MODS. BE PATIENT, BESIDES A DROP IN ONLY GETS YOU 1-2 HORSES...NOT WORTH IT. YOU WON'T EVEN FEEL IT. WHY DON'T YOU PUT 100 CASH AND 100 ON A CREDIT CARD? DON'T WORRY..THAT INTAKE IS WORTH THE WAIT
I disagree K+N filter's add more than 1 or 2 hp I think CAI's are over rated more for look's than anything else. If he just got the K+N filter and took out the butterfly valve, trim down the plastic in front of the airbox inlet he'd get the same or better performance as a short ram not to mention the stock air box suck's cool air from the front of the car not under the hood. You know the reason those high dollar pipe's seem so bitchin is because they have high flow air filter's on them whitch is exactly what a K+N is ,But that's just my opinion.

"They don't make no seatbelt for the mind. So I can't buckle up for this ride!"

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Originally posted by CID498:
I disagree K+N filter's add more than 1 or 2 hp I think CAI's are over rated more for look's than anything else. If he just got the K+N filter and took out the butterfly valve, trim down the plastic in front of the airbox inlet he'd get the same or better performance as a short ram not to mention the stock air box suck's cool air from the front of the car not under the hood. You know the reason those high dollar pipe's seem so bitchin is because they have high flow air filter's on them whitch is exactly what a K+N is ,But that's just my opinion.
Cold Air Intake has been dyno proven to give atleast 4HP (almost always higher than that and this was done with same environmental conditions) which shows it works so it is not an eye candy. Drop in Filter however have not really proven that it works well to the point driver can feel the difference, that 1~3HP gain can be easily manufactured by different engine temperature because it is such a small value. However I do know K&N are reputable company so their filter does work but that little HP is not worth it.

ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Originally posted by Mike Lu:
Originally posted by CID498:
Cold Air Intake has been dyno proven to give atleast 4HP (almost always higher than that and this was done with same environmental conditions) which shows it works so it is not an eye candy. Drop in Filter however have not really proven that it works well to the point driver can feel the difference, that 1~3HP gain can be easily manufactured by different engine temperature because it is such a small value. However I do know K&N are reputable company so their filter does work but that little HP is not worth it.
Mike I wasn't putting down the CAI my post was mainly directed at the short ram. As "twisted" said he is on a budget and $30 to $50 for a K+N is reletively cheap horsepower and you know as well as I know an engine that breathes well performs well.

ct
C'mon & hit me!
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
C'mon & hit me!
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
SO YOU'RE SAYING THAT A SHORT RAM GIVES (OR FREES UP ) THE SAME AMOUNT OF HP THAN A DROP IN FILTER?! DAMN...IF THAT'S TRUE THEN I WASTED 150 BUCKS! ARE THERE ANY DYNOS TO PROVE THIS? IF WHAT YOU'RE SAYING IS TRUE THEN THAT'S PRETTY DEPRESSING FOR ME.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
actually it may be alittle better than drop in because it allow more volume of air in, just that its basically sucking in same hot air thats all. The difference between drop in and short ram is not very much you can barely feel the difference.

so if people however DO have the money, should they get the short ram intake instead of the drop in... or doesn't it matter.

GT300 body kit on, getting fitted, doing install myself.
pics comin as soon as my kit is here and painted...

ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Dude if you got the money get what ever you want.

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
if you had the money, i'd tell you to go for the short ram or cold air instead of a measly drop in, but the price is definately the deciding factor.

I have the K&N drop in. Wasn't really worth it. I noticed a little more jumpiness. Probably more torque than HP. After doing it though I should have just waited. I want the CAI. no worries concerning water cause I will enjoy dodging puddles because the Celica handles oh so well.!!!

Wheezy Joe
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Wheezy Joe
2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250
I had a drop in in my Hyundai elantra, $40 and it gave me 3+ mpg and probably 3 or 4 HP and some more torque...

It's cheap, it's ok by the dealer for warranty, and it's easy removable if you sell the car...

hard to beat that...

To have played and laughed with enthusiasm
and sung with exultation
To know even one life has breathed easier
This is to have succeeded.