Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#9001 Mar 3, 3:45am
I know its recommended that body kits be installed professionally, but has anyone installed their kit themselves? I'd love to install it myself but I don't know how hard it would be and I really don't want to mess it up. Anyone have any luck self installing a kit?

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
How difficult is it to install a body kit?

[Linked Image]
Wings West side skirt attachment

If you have to ask, we'd have to say you probably can't do it on your own. The degree of difficulty for body kit installation can range a large amount. Generally speaking, Kaminari, Bomex, CWestin, Greddy GRACER, and Wings West body kits will be the easiest to install as they are manufactured to very high quality standards and usually include installation hardware and instructions. Other body kits may require more modification to obtain a perfect fitment.

We always recommend that you have your body kit installed by a professional who is experienced with custom fiberglass body work. A normal auto body/collision repair shop may not be able to install the aftermarket body kit properly.
From...
https://celicahobby.com/feature/bodykits_faq.html

Bodykit install requires drilling for side skirts and rear bumper - unless you are familiar with drilling through fiberglass/urethane into car body's metal... I'd recommend leaving it to a professional - you only get one shot and if you screw that up, you cannot just go down to the dealership and ask for another car - you are stuck with that screw-up cry

Second, a professional is going to know exactly what areas to shave (if required), and will also know how much tightening a bolt needs before it might be too much and cause cracking to the fiberglass (or tearing of the urethane)

On brand new cars (First time bumper removal), some pieces might be tight/difficult to remove and require an extra amount of force to pull-off... white the amateur / inexperienced installer may still be looking for that "last bolt" to unscrew, when there really isn't one.

I would always recommend a "Test-fit" before painting ANY body kit - because 9 out of 10 times (even with Kaminari), there will have to be something shaved down to make your new kit fit correctly... and once you shave something that has already been painted, you will have to do another repaint - to cover that area you just shaved to make fit. It's better to know the first time, instead of having to spend extra $$$ for the same exact job that could have easily been done RIGHT the first time, for free.

-isaac

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com

Yeah I kinda figured. Does anyone have any reccomendations on a place that installs kits in NY, preferrably in or around the Nassau County area?