Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#88294 Jan 22, 12:48pm

you guessed it right. i got pulled over by a police and got a repair ticket for my tint to be tested by MVA. my tint is way below the legal limit, so i need to remove them in order to pass the test.

the problem is, i don't know how to remove the tint film. i need experts' help. thanks!

ps: there goes my $175 ... what a bummer

ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
peel back an edge and rip it off...then take some goo gone or cleaner and clean ur windows thumbsup

05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
i think you can just pull it off, maybe heat it a bit...

then use window cleaner with ammonia, spray it on, and use a steel wool pad made for windows and a razor blade.

SUBARU TECNICA INTERNATIONAL

ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
Originally Posted by VSGTS14

then use window cleaner with ammonia, spray it on, and use a steel wool pad made for windows and a razor blade.

DON"T USE STEEL WOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that will scratch the hell out of ur window eek eek

05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
Originally Posted by trog2233

DON"T USE STEEL WOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that will scratch the hell out of ur window eek eek

made for windows. I work at toyota, do you think i don't know this? MADE FOR WINDOWS...if you can find it, there are many different kinds...just make sure you get the right kind.

ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71

made for windows. I work at toyota, do you think i don't know this? MADE FOR WINDOWS...if you can find it, there are many different kinds...just make sure you geo the right kind.

HAHAH ok just makin sure he knows that...normal steel wool would mess that up BAD!! grin rofl

05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi

made for windows. I work at toyota, do you think i don't know this? MADE FOR WINDOWS...if you can find it, there are many different kinds...just make sure you get the right kind.

HAHAH ok just makin sure he knows that...normal steel wool would mess that up BAD!! grin rofl

definately and never use steel wool on your mirrors...obviously...

but if you decide to get steel wool, make sure it's the right kind thumbsup

thanks all.

i tried to just rip it off, but the film was strongly attached to the window, as if it was super-glued on it.

i'll try ammonia and and other stuff that you mentioned.

thanks for the info.

if anyone has any other method, let me know. thanks again

2004 Infiniti G35 cpe 6spd
2004 Infiniti G35 cpe 6spd
I ran a tint shop for 3 years and the best way to remove the tint is as follows. First you peel it all off and becareful on the rear window not to tear your rear defrost off. then get a mask and put straight amonia in a spray can and spray the window down, you will ony want to do 1 window at a time and let the spray soak in for 2-3 min then take a S.S razor blade and just slide it on the glass (you dont need a lot of presssure here)until you have worked all the way down the glass. You will need to clean the blade a lot and keep spraying the glass to keep it wet. Try to get the under the window molding too and keep the glue from running down there. Dont worry if you cant get it all down there because you can always take your pannel off to get the rest. Before you roll the window down clean it well and the molding too. Then roll the windown and clean the molding. Follow for all the other window but NOT for the hatch glass, For that the best thing for that just soak that thing down and climb in the back and clean it. The best thing you can use that wont scratch the glass or rear defrost is a WHITE Scotch brite pad and start rubbing but not to hard (remember rear defrost) I hope this helps and make sure you wear a mask otherwise you will get verry short of breath due to the amonia. thumbsup

"Anyone who tells you money is the route of all evil DOESN'T have it- They say money cant buy happiness, well check out the fucking smile on my face, ear to ear baby"

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
if you want an easier way, just take a razor, one of those little ones that are like an inch by 2 and peel the tint like you would with your fingers, starting at a corner. This wont scratch your window if you do it right and keep the blade level on the glass (if you tilt it you will dig into the window). the only thing is that you cant do you rear liek this cause ull mess up the defroster

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
o yeah and goo gone when ur done, works real well

dang... sounds a lot harder than i thought puke

well.. gotta start working tomorrow...

thanks all for such a great info! so helpful.

ECelica Jester
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Jester
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
Originally Posted by GTStick
if you want an easier way, just take a razor, one of those little ones that are like an inch by 2 and peel the tint like you would with your fingers, starting at a corner. This wont scratch your window if you do it right and keep the blade level on the glass (if you tilt it you will dig into the window). the only thing is that you cant do you rear liek this cause ull mess up the defroster

razor blade thumbsup

ECelica Jester
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Jester
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
Originally Posted by GTStick

razor blade thumbsup

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
When I took mine off, I used one of those puffy pot scrubbers that you buy from the dollar store on the rear window. They are made out of plastic. They are like 3 for $1 or something like that. I just sprayed ammonia on the window and scrubbed the glue off with the pot scrubber. For the other windows, I used a razor blade and ammonia to get the remaining glue off. Hope this helps. Be prepared for your arms to hurt tomorrow night from all the scrubbing and scraping.

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
hahah thanks beans forgot what they were called

I used that 2 sided 3m half yellow foam and the other side is green kinda ruff to take off my rear tint in my old car and it scratched the window. i say try peel off one corner and some spray to take off the excess goo.