Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#8651 Jun 26, 2:40pm
I really cannot recall if i've posted already about this anywhere else..so before you flame, I'm sorry?

I'm so doing this myself... do you sand? if so, how fine of a sand paper? primer? how many coats of prime/paint did YOU use? I found a sweet candy apple blue fleck paint that I'd love to splash on my plastics...

NOBODY?? come oooooon..i thought i was the only one who hasn't painted yet...

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
What plastics? Interior or engine bay?

I haven't done the interior, but if I did, I'd take it to a bodyshop to do it. But for the engine bay... Well, we didn't sand mine down or primer it. Just made sure to clean it extremely well. Then coated it with a few coats of paint and then clear coated it. smile

#8654 Jun 28, 11:21am
ooooooooo shnap! sorry, my bad...i didn't even realize i failed to specify...yes, engine plastics...

thanks...nice pix by the way...

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
wash with simple green

dry realy well

apply a thin coat of your paint, wait about 15 minutes and then repeate four to seven times

wait 24 hours and then apply a thin coat of clear acrylic, wait 15 minutes and then repleate about five times

wait 24 hours and then install back into your car.

NOTE: after painting your color, a wait time of ATLEAST 24 hours is nessasary or else your clear-coat will "melt" your paint and it will be uneven.

NOTE2: after adding the clear-coat, you should wait another 24 hours befor installing into your engine bay, or else pebbles and dirt will get attached to your fresh coats of paint... and also, your plastic clips will stick to the freshly painted plastics and will be a pain in the arse to remove when you descide to take the plasics out again.

if you are going to paint your engine cover, contact GT2000quebec about these http://216.102.149.4/cgi/everythingcelica/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000088

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
PERSONALY THOUGH; I used 1200degree CHEVY-RED with 3 layers of paint across the large passenger-side and smaller front plastics... and I didnt use any clear coat.

The paint job was good for about 4 months... but now I need to redo it again because its realy dirty with water spots that the bodyshop left when they rebuilt my entire passenger side of the car.

If you are going yo paint your engine plasics - each time you wash your car wipe down those plastics with your damp cloth so that you dont get the water spots im talking about smile

[ 06-28-2002, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: isaac ]

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com

you rock Isaac

you get that often?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
damn isaac, did gt2000quebec use car paint or spray paint. that looks waaaaaay to fresh to be spray on.

#8659 Jul 2, 5:14am
okay...can you all say "overspray"?
i jacked one or two pieces up over the weekend...should i just strip and redo? or should i try and sand out the nasty spots? I tried (too soon) w/ one piece and ripped an area clean off...just peeled off like a banana wink