Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3
newbracer
New Member
newbracer Jan 18, 11:57am - #85374 
New Member

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3
how do you adjust the headlight horizontally?

Sup y'all.. Today I got new PIAA bulbs and after I installed them, I noticed that my right headlight's horizontal aim is way off. I read online on how to adjust the vertical aiming but there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust it horizontally. Does anyone have any expertise in this area? Thank you in advance!
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed Jan 18, 10:25pm - #85375 

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
american spec celicas only have one nob--for vertical adjustment. you cannot adjust them horizontally, sorry thumbsdown
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,007
isaac
ECelica Admin
isaac Jan 18, 10:28pm - #85376 
2001 Absolutely Red Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,007
Los Angeles, CA

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3
newbracer
New Member
newbracer Jan 19, 12:04am - #85377 
New Member

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3
Hmm.. so do i have to take it to the dealer to have them do it or is there a way that i can do it myself and save myself some money? And btw i've read that PDF file many times but it doesnt seem to tell me how to adjust horizontally.
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed Jan 19, 12:08am - #85378 

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Originally Posted by newbracer
Hmm.. so do i have to take it to the dealer to have them do it or is there a way that i can do it myself and save myself some money? And btw i've read that PDF file many times but it doesnt seem to tell me how to adjust horizontally.


take it to a dealer or check to see if you installed the lights correctly.

btw, it doesnt tell you how to adjust horizontally..because like i said earlier (assuming you have an american spec celica) you can only adjust them vertically.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3
newbracer
New Member
newbracer Jan 19, 1:12am - #85379 
New Member

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3
Oh damn that sux.. how the hell did i missalign it in the first place confused
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed Jan 19, 3:37am - #85380 

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Originally Posted by newbracer
Oh damn that sux.. how the hell did i missalign it in the first place confused


when you say 'way off'..is it really THAT obvious? try adjusting them vertically just to see if it helps any. if it really is off by a lot..i'd take it to a dealer thumbsup
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,007
isaac
ECelica Admin
isaac Jan 19, 5:11am - #85381 
2001 Absolutely Red Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,007
Los Angeles, CA
Toyota Celica Left-Hand-Drive Headlight Spec is...

Driver's side should be facing directly forward - best for seeing the road and NOT blinding oncoming traffic so horribly.

Passenger Side will be the same height and facing very slightly to the right - best for viewing signs and notifying pedestrians that you are headed towards them.

...

From G.E., is the recommended way to check headlight aim...

1. Put your car on a 35-40 foot stretch of flat or evenly sloped pavement such as a driveway facing a wall or garage door.

2. Shine your low beams on the door from 2 to 3 feet away and outline the bright spots on the door with a pencil or tape.

3. Back the car to about 25 feet from the door. The top of the low beams should shine no higher than the top of the marks on the door or lower than the center of the marked circle. If you have only two headlights, the high beams are automatically aimed when you aim the low beams.

...

For most accurate aiming take your vehicle to a professional. If, on the other hand, you're a "do-it-yourselfer", follow these instructions from G.E.:

Remove the outer trim for access to the adjustment screws. To raise the beam turn the top adjustment screw clockwise; counter clockwise to lower the beam. Turn the side adjustment screw clockwise to move the beam to the right and counterclockwise to move it to the left.

Bring each beam into its final position by turning the adjusting screws clockwise so the headlamp will be held against its tension springs when the operation is completed.

If your lights continue to be out of adjustment, consult a service technician.

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed Jan 19, 5:30am - #85382 

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Originally Posted by isaac
Toyota Celica Left-Hand-Drive Headlight Spec is...

Driver's side should be facing directly forward - best for seeing the road and NOT blinding oncoming traffic so horribly.

Passenger Side will be the same height and facing very slightly to the right - best for viewing signs and notifying pedestrians that you are headed towards them.

...

From G.E., is the recommended way to check headlight aim...

1. Put your car on a 35-40 foot stretch of flat or evenly sloped pavement such as a driveway facing a wall or garage door.

2. Shine your low beams on the door from 2 to 3 feet away and outline the bright spots on the door with a pencil or tape.

3. Back the car to about 25 feet from the door. The top of the low beams should shine no higher than the top of the marks on the door or lower than the center of the marked circle. If you have only two headlights, the high beams are automatically aimed when you aim the low beams.

...

For most accurate aiming take your vehicle to a professional. If, on the other hand, you're a "do-it-yourselfer", follow these instructions from G.E.:

Remove the outer trim for access to the adjustment screws. To raise the beam turn the top adjustment screw clockwise; counter clockwise to lower the beam. Turn the side adjustment screw clockwise to move the beam to the right and counterclockwise to move it to the left .

Bring each beam into its final position by turning the adjusting screws clockwise so the headlamp will be held against its tension springs when the operation is completed.

If your lights continue to be out of adjustment, consult a service technician.


wait, so there is a horizontal adjustment? confused or is that just a general rule?
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,007
isaac
ECelica Admin
isaac Jan 19, 6:21am - #85383 
2001 Absolutely Red Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,007
Los Angeles, CA
thats from G.E.'s website... its General (ie; General Electric spineyes)

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed Jan 19, 12:39pm - #85384 

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Originally Posted by isaac
thats from G.E.'s website... its General (ie; General Electric spineyes)


lol, oh allright thumbsup
Join the conversation - Register now or Sign in to add your comment


Moderated by  isaac 

Customize Your Toyota CelicaPrivacy Policy · About · Contact
CelicaHobby.com is an independent Toyota Celica enthusiast website. CelicaHobby.com is not sponsored by or affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. in any way. The Toyota and Celica names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
© CelicaHobby.com, 2001-2016