Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

I'm new to this site and I posted this in the general forum but I guess It belongs here...hope you guys can make my money go a long way :

If I end up with a 2003 Celica GTS TRD, which PERFORMANCE mods would you recommend I make under the hood (engine) alone? I've possibly got a $3000 max budget here(including taxes)...and that's Canadian funds, I know, I know, BRUTAL!!! anyways...The (my) sole purpose being lowest 0-60 time possible. Please provide the exact model/brand name If/where possible. I'm completely new to the world of Imports... so your expertise and opinions are more than much appreciated...I'm looking for quality parts here too.

Thanks again to all those who responded to my last post!!!

PS, I'll be getting a full custom dual/dual exhaust system as well as upgrading the MAS/Filter system before the $3000 engine mods...(just thought I'd mention that incase It affects or changes any of the advice you have for me on the mods I need help with above.

I know which MAS/Filter I'm going with, but I'm also always curious of what others may swear by??? Let me know. Thanks to all...and If anyone ever wants any opinions on good old American Muscle Cars or Domestics, feel free to ask.

Talk to you all again soon, Dunka.
Lates,

Cali

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
dual exhaust will lower your torque...if you want good 0-60 times i wouldnt get dual exhaust...i am putting an Injen CAI and trd extended exhaust on mine...but thats about all there is until the turbo comes out...oh yeah...you can put new pullys on...i think that is about all you can do...

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
oh yeah...another way to make up some good time...lose some of the weight of the car...back seats, spare, etc etc etc...and get you some Volk gram lights...and change your suspension...the better the suspension the better the grip = more speed off the start...but with the volks and suspension you are almost at $3000 us dollars

Perfection is 60' 6"...on the Black.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Don't forget the clutch, lightweight flywheel, Limited Slip Differential upgrades!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Welp, first thing first. Get an intake/exhaust. I personally prefer the AEM/TRD combo, and thats the one I've been currently using for a year.

That'll cost you around 1300$ cdn.

With the remaining 1700$, you could pick up a flywheel/sport clutch combo and have some cash left for some suspension work.

If you budget a little bit more (say 1000$), grab a limited slip differential.

With a lsd, clutch, flywheel and I/e, it should put you in very low 14, and if your a potent driver, with lightwheel 15 wheel with good race rubber, you shouldnt have problems hitting 14.0/14.1.

There also the header but the gains are somewhat small. I should not be on your priority list, yet.

Thats basically where I am ... except I dont have the TRD header.

If I'm undertstanding this correctly, you'll have a TRD exhaust, springs and short shifter with the car when you purchase it? If you don't mind me saying, the TRD performance package is a rip off. Save yourself some money there by getting a GTS then buy the short shifter (45 min install anyone can do), the springs, and exhaust (bolt on job). You can easily do the short shifter and if you have any mechanical inclination at all the exhaust. Installing lower springs can be a pain from my understanding.

If you decide to go with the TRD GTS, I'd suggest an Injen Race Division CAI (~$200US) first of all. Some nice light weight rims, if you're going for looks and performance, get 17s. I would not suggest a dual exhaust at all, you will lose too much back pressure, which is why I'm still not sure if I'd do new headers either. I'm not familiar with how the TRD headers effect performance. A lightweight flywheel would help a bit, TRD has a JDM one, but TOMs Lightweight Flywheel is even lighter (~$500US). Limited Slip Differential would definitely help your 0-60 time, too (~700 to 800US).

Basically, this is what I would do if I wanted a short 0-60 time, had a TRD GTS and $2000US. Injen CAI, TOMs flywheel (get the TRD if you'd like to keep your warranty), front strut bar, limited slip differential and buy a round of beers for whoever helped you with the installs.

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
Talked to the guys at West Covina Toyota, they said that Injen will be producing a bypass valve for their intakes in late January. Also THERE WILL BE A TURBO FOR THE GTS AVAILABLE IN 2003. TOYOTA HAS BEEN WORKING ON IT FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD, SO YOU WILL BE ABLE TO TURBO A GTS thumbsup WITHOUT HAVING TO MOD THE PISTONS Ect...( when i hear more on it i will let you all know, they told me they wouyld let me know as soon as it's coming out.)

TRD extended Exhaust, S2000 Antenna: MAN I LOVE THIS CAR!!!

also get an Apexi S-AFC and get an intake(i prefer AEM CAI), TRD exhaust, and get headers and a downpipe(TRD would be real expensive, check AMSS.com, they have headers and down pipes) thentake it to a shop to have it dynoed and the S-AFC tuned, get yourself a good set of spring too, they'll help quite a bit, AEM tru-power pulleys, that should give you enough power, then save up some money and work on clutch, flywheel, LSD...

I'd be afraid to lose too much back pressure doing all of that...

you won't lose a lot of back pressure unless you go with dual exhaust besides the S-AFC helps control that

Thanks to all who put their knowledge/expertise on here to help a fellow carnut out...I'll let everyone know what I end up doing. Thanks again for all the help, It's just cool to know that some people actually take the time to help another person out. You're all good people in my book.
Lates,

Cali

s-afc only controls your fuel/air mixture, unless I'm missing something.

ok here it is... with only $3000 dollarsu can be weel into the thirteens. first start with the obvious... cold air intake... perferably. aem... get TRD exhaust.. or rod millen. remove cat. trialor trd headers... that right there is about $1300 dollars... you should be well into the mid to low 14's with that... next get a jun clutch flywheel uprade.. that shit is outta hand... after that get a NX wet kit. dont pass a 50 shot. unless you got fuel and upraded ignition... so now ur probably into the high 13's range... next the more important is tires.. get falken azines... um yoko parades ... um... bridgeston s03's or if you just wanna be straight drag just get sum drag radials... with this setup you will definetly hit mid 13's

CHOP CHOP

ok here it is... with only $3000 dollarsu can be weel into the thirteens. first start with the obvious... cold air intake... perferably. aem... get TRD exhaust.. or rod millen. remove cat. trial or trd headers... that right there is about $1300 dollars... you should be well into the mid to low 14's with that... next get a jun clutch flywheel uprade.. that shit is outta hand... after that get a NX wet kit. dont pass a 50 shot. unless you got fuel and upraded ignition... so now ur probably into the high 13's range... next the more important is tires.. get falken azines... um yoko parades ... um... bridgeston s03's or if you just wanna be straight drag, just get sum drag radials... with this setup you will definetly hit mid 13's
if ur looking at zero to sixty... you'll probably be into the low high 4's low 5's.

i just have a aem cold ait intake. flakens, and a nitrous express wet kit, 35 shot and my best tiem was a 14.1 @ 100 mph. i owe most of that time to the tires... good grip thumbsup

CHOP CHOP

Hey Honda Fighter, is the nitrous with stock internals?

get an eclipse AWD, stock 0-60 is like 5.7 seconds, with the extra 3 grand you could do it in 4.

Scott
1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (blue)
1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD (red)
2000 Toyota Celica GT-S (red)

you should do some work on the tranny also. like the flywheel, clutch, short shifter, and that kind of stuff. i have to say, thank you. most people who ask for opinions on what mods they should make they ask about body kits and wheels for their cars that dont have any performance parts, nothing against you guys i just think that performance should come first. just my 0.02

Hey, its a celica. What else do ya need to know?

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
hauhan, yea, you can use stock timing intervals unless you're planning on doing a lot of other really high performance mods too, like new pistons and head gaskets and stuff. By this point, you'd probably need a new fuel pump and injectors too. nitrous applications are designed for stock engine setups. if you changed the valve timing, you'd end up w/ bad idling and it wouldnt b a very practical day to day street car.

"Q: What type of cam is best suited for use with nitrous oxide?
A: Generally, cams that have less exhaust overlap and more exhaust duration. However, it is best to choose a cam tailored to normal use (when nitrous is not activated) since 99% of most vehicle operations is not at full throttle. There are special cam grinds available for nitrous competition which have more aggressive exhaust profile ramping, etc. Since cam selection depends largely on vehicle weight, gearing, etc., it is best to stick to cam manufacturers' recommendations for your particular goal. " --holley.com

http://holley.com/HiOctn/TechServ/TechInfo/NOSTech5.html