Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Masta OC
2003 Toyota Celica
Masta OC
2003 Toyota Celica
About selling the Celi for something that's more fun to drive. Before you guys say I'm crazy, remember that I was uninformed and purchased the automatic GTS.

I paid something like 23k for my car before tax. Current bluebook is somewhere close to 21k... if I don't keep stacking up miles, it might not be that big of loss. I'm thinking of many options for my next car that would be in the same price range as what I'd be selling it for... either a 2004 GTS 6-speed, 2003 Miata 6-speed, or something along those lines...

I'm a little torn because my parent's helped me pay for the car after I complained about needing a new one for over a year... now it's only six months old and I'm thinking of dumping it off for something else. Plus it will more or less throwing out the few thousand dollars my car depreciated. I guess that I'm just unsatisfied with how slooow I discovered the auto to be. frown

My other thought is that I might be able to afford something better in a couple years if I stick it out with the Celi; maybe a base Audi TT or 350Z. If I sell the car now I'd be looking at something in the same price range again.

So what would you guys do if you were in my shoes? I'm all ears.

I'm just a crosshair
I'm just a shot away from you

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
I would either trade the celica in on a new rsx-type s or a 2000 or 2001 6-speed manual Celica with low miles(they are out there) and dump the remaining money in mods like I/E/H/P to give you some go. You're right though...autos blow and are good for nothing but show. I wouldn't get an 03 or 04 celica because they have that "drive by wire" that no aftermarket companies seem to like. I also wouldn't get an 02 Celica because you will have to do an ecu and knock sensor swap like me and that will cost you $400. I think you could be equally happy with either of those decisions.

02 GT-S R.I.P.
00 S2000

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
keep your celi. from a totally mathematical standpoint its a bad idea.(i'll keep my celi opinions to myself--this is a celica forum so go figure what i personally think about you selling your car. it's only 6 months old so theres no reason you shoud sell it. (even if by some chance you don't like it...you will have lost a LOT of $$ by selling this early)

a totally loaded auto gts w/6000 miles (1k per month X 6 months = 6k) will go for about 20,000 if you go private party. obviously if you trade-in, it will be far less.

so you are taking a 3k hit just on the devaluation, plus about another 2k hit on tax/title/license.

so for just driving your car around for 6 months, you will 'lose' about 5k. definately not worth it. thumbsdown

source: kbb.com [kbb.com]

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Keep it for one year. Change it to 8th gen model (2005) thumbsup

ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
i think the celica is one of the funnest(i know its not a word) haha cars to drive out there... thumbsup

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by trog2233
i think the celica is one of the funnest(i know its not a word) haha cars to drive out there... thumbsup

definately.

(most fun)... (not that i'm the caringest person though rofl)

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
I wouldnt do anyting with it...your still driving a nice car so whats its auto...If your parents helped stick with it for a year and look at your situation then...next car...i dont know how much u'd go...but id say wrx...or 300zx..audi or sumthin with more hp...rsx type-s is same car really not big difference like 10-15 hp to wheels different...waste of an opportunity

ECelica Jester
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Jester
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
"Re: So lately I've been thinking... "

I got an idea

Don't think

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by beans
"Re: So lately I've been thinking... "

I got an idea

Don't think
rofl

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
get a used 350z? That would be the only other car i would want to have other than my celica. (reasonably priced) Cameros, firebirds, and mustangs are a dime a dozen. Corvettes are hot, but expensive. Type S is just like the celica without the good looks and good suspension. I think you should be able to get a slightly used 350z by now for like 23?

[Linked Image]

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
I think you should do it. I also purchased the auto GTS, and I turned around and traded it in for a 6 speed GTS a few months later. I agree, it does suck to lose a lot of money on the depreciation when it could have been avoided by simply getting the more inexpensive 6 speed in the first place.

But in the end it all boiled down to this...I did not want to pay lots of money in car payments and insurance for the next 5 years for a car that I regretted purchasing. I decided that the thousands of dollars lost in depreciation was a small price for me to pay to have a car that I enjoyed driving.

After I discovered how negative the auto affected the performance of the GTS, I wished it was a 6 speed every time I got behind the wheel. If I held on to the auto instead of trading it in, I would probably straight out hate my car by now. Instead, I got a 6 speed and I love my Celica.

BOTTOM LINE: If you lose $2,000 in depreciation, then it would cost you $33 more a month to make up for that loss over a 5 year loan. Is it worth $33 more a month for you to drive a 6 speed? It was for me.

Also, if you are considering getting a Miata instead of the Celica, you should also consider getting a new MR2. If I were in the market for a new car today, I would definitely get an MR2. thumbsup

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by chameleon
I think you should do it. I also purchased the auto GTS, and I turned around and traded it in for a 6 speed GTS a few months later. I agree, it does suck to lose a lot of money on the depreciation when it could have been avoided by simply getting the more inexpensive 6 speed in the first place.

But in the end it all boiled down to this...I did not want to pay lots of money in car payments and insurance for the next 5 years for a car that I regretted purchasing. I decided that the thousands of dollars lost in depreciation was a small price for me to pay to have a car that I enjoyed driving.

After I discovered how negative the auto affected the performance of the GTS, I wished it was a 6 speed every time I got behind the wheel. If I held on to the auto instead of trading it in, I would probably straight out hate my car by now. Instead, I got a 6 speed and I love my Celica.

BOTTOM LINE: If you lose $2,000 in depreciation, then it would cost you $33 more a month to make up for that loss over a 5 year loan. Is it worth $33 more a month for you to drive a 6 speed? It was for me.

Also, if you are considering getting a Miata instead of the Celica, you should also consider getting a new MR2. If I were in the market for a new car today, I would definitely get an MR2. thumbsup

well, he will lose about 5k in depreciation + tax/title/license. thats almost 100 more a month.

like i said..soley froma mathematical standpoint, keep your car.

Masta OC
2003 Toyota Celica
Masta OC
2003 Toyota Celica
As a sidenote to this discussion...

I went to my dealer today to check out their selection of '04s. They had the perfect yellow (VERY rare in CA) GTS with the action package and 6 speed. While hagling with the guy over what they might sell it for, he mentioned that they could give me a trade in value for my 03. I figured it would be good for entertainment, if nothing else (since I'm going to sell mine private party if I do get rid of it).

Verdict: $17,000.

What a joke. KBB has mine at almost 21k private party and 18k trade in, WITHOUT the action package. thumbsdown

Eh iono. I'd end up paying about 23k for the car... then tax/title/liscense again. So it'd be like I just leased my car for 6 months and paid 4 grand for it. confused

I'm just a crosshair

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by RevMonster
As a sidenote to this discussion...

I went to my dealer today to check out their selection of '04s. They had the perfect yellow (VERY rare in CA) GTS with the action package and 6 speed. While hagling with the guy over what they might sell it for, he mentioned that they could give me a trade in value for my 03. I figured it would be good for entertainment, if nothing else (since I'm going to sell mine private party if I do get rid of it).

Verdict: $17,000.

What a joke. KBB has mine at almost 21k private party and 18k trade in, WITHOUT the action package. thumbsdown

Eh iono. I'd end up paying about 23k for the car... then tax/title/liscense again. So it'd be like I just leased my car for 6 months and paid 4 grand for it. confused

dealers will always give you a lower trade in value than kbb...this is always the case because car buying is almost all about bartering (unless you are saturn..they are the only car company that doesnt hedge on their prices).

they will always start low and tell you things like "oh, because they are so hard to sell we can't give you full trade-in" "they have such a finite market because this market is for 18-25 men" and will often point out a couple things that are "wrong" with the car.

you can get them to come up to kbb, but they will almost never go over that value. show them the printout, and don't budge.

2003 Toyota Celica
2003 Toyota Celica
Uninformed?? Usually Stick is faster than Auto. What more is there to say? U shoulda put more thought into getting the Celica the way you wanted it if you were dying to get one. Not to sound like an ass or anything but I was an automatic driver before I got my 6-spd GTS and I knew I would definitely regret getting an auto... so I bought the stick and learned it as quick as I could. If I were you I'd stick with it and just try to get mods that'll make it fast.

Masta OC
2003 Toyota Celica
Masta OC
2003 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by LiGhTniNgGTS
Uninformed?? Usually Stick is faster than Auto. What more is there to say? U shoulda put more thought into getting the Celica the way you wanted it if you were dying to get one. Not to sound like an ass or anything but I was an automatic driver before I got my 6-spd GTS and I knew I would definitely regret getting an auto... so I bought the stick and learned it as quick as I could. If I were you I'd stick with it and just try to get mods that'll make it fast.

Yeah, I knew stick would be faster than auto. What I didn't take into account is the way that lift and our powerband make the auto speed loss so much greater than it usually would be.

According to Road and Track, a stick GTS and a stick IS300 run the quarter mile in identical times. I drove my dad's auto IS300 before I got my Celi, and it seemed pleeeanty fast. With the R&T info, I wrongly assumed that if the stick Celi is as fast as a stick IS300, an auto Celi would be as fast as an auto IS300.

Basically I screwed up. I really was on my way to the dealer to purchase the Mazda 6-s when I decided to take a look at the Celi for one last time and sort of bought it on impulse because of how much I like the design. If I had known about this site( thumbsup) before I purchased, I would have known what I was getting into...

I'm just a crosshair

2003 Toyota Celica
2003 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by RevMonster
Originally Posted by LiGhTniNgGTS

Yeah, I knew stick would be faster than auto. What I didn't take into account is the way that lift and our powerband make the auto speed loss so much greater than it usually would be.

According to Road and Track, a stick GTS and a stick IS300 run the quarter mile in identical times. I drove my dad's auto IS300 before I got my Celi, and it seemed pleeeanty fast. With the R&T info, I wrongly assumed that if the stick Celi is as fast as a stick IS300, an auto Celi would be as fast as an auto IS300.

Basically I screwed up. I really was on my way to the dealer to purchase the Mazda 6-s when I decided to take a look at the Celi for one last time and sort of bought it on impulse because of how much I like the design. If I had known about this site( thumbsup) before I purchased, I would have known what I was getting into...

I heard auto IS300's were kinda slow actually. But iono, that's just takin a person's word for it, never got the numbers. Maybe you should stick this out... and learn from ur mistake so that the next car you purchase will be one you want the way you want.

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
1) Consider the insurance increase if you buy a faster car like the Z or WRX.
2) NEVER buy new unless you are RICH. On average, based on what I've heard, you lose about 3 grand on a car (rather, off a car) as soon as it leaves the lot in your possession. Plus, if you ever wreck your car, which is always a possibility, you won't feel half as bad as if you wrecked a new car. Insurance will be lower. Tax will be lower. Plus, all that stuff said previously about mods. I thought about a newer Celica until I found out how hard Toyota made them to mod over the past few years. Get the 2001 w/ low miles. Add a body kit other than the Action Package because 1/3 of the Celicas out there have the thing. It does look good, but it's becoming as common as clear outs and a muffler tip on a Civic.

Sorry, just trying to help.

1996 Geo Prizm
1996 Geo Prizm
i would trade it in for a 350z or new celica thumbsup

Masta OC
2003 Toyota Celica
Masta OC
2003 Toyota Celica
Thanks for the advice everyone... good to know that people are willing to offer some help and give their input when you need it.

Basically, I discussed the whole prospect with my father tonight. Since he helped me out with my '03 Celi, I figured that I owed it to him before I decided to just go getting rid of the car.

Basically, he made me realize how tough it would be to sell the car private-party and get full value for it. Then even if did and bought the '04, with the total redesign coming out in a year I might well regret not waiting for the 8th gen. Beyond all that it'd be costing me no less than $4k more out of savings to complete the deal.

Soo... for now I've decided to just stick it out with my '03 GTS. I'm going to work a few more hours a week and just stuff away the money... then this summer when school is out I'll look at all my options again. Like LightningGTS said, I should make sure I learn from this. The next car I buy is going to be so well researched and test-driven that I'll be able to work every audio and climate control knob in the car without looking at them before I'm even off the lot.

I'm just a crosshair

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
^^ good thinking. wait and see what comes out next at least.