Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 105
7th_gen_celica
Member
7th_gen_celica Jan 7, 3:07am - #77891 
Member

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 105
NS
Are these bulbs too hot? [PICS]

I think these are too hot for the celica headlight housing.. What do you guys think?

Linked Image

Yellow '02 GT.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
slidr
Specialist
slidr Jan 7, 3:10am - #77892 

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
Saint Louis, MO
I think the 100w with the arrow pointing to the 140w or whatever it was means it operates at 100 watts with the look of a 140 watt bulb. I had a pair of jap lights like that that burn at 100 watts, and they make the headlamp really hot, but I havn't had any probs with them yet. I think 100 watts is the maximum recommended for our cars.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force...number one in the hood, G
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 105
7th_gen_celica
Member
7th_gen_celica Jan 7, 3:14am - #77893 
Member

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 105
NS
Originally Posted by slidr

I think the 100w with the arrow pointing to the 140w or whatever it was means it operates at 100 watts with the look of a 140 watt bulb. I had a pair of jap lights like that that burn at 100 watts, and they make the headlamp really hot, but I havn't had any probs with them yet. I think 100 watts is the maximum recommended for our cars.


Our stock lights are only 55w i think. I used 85w in my corolla 2 years ago and 6 months later the housings were melted and cloudy. the stock bulbs for the corolla were 55 as well.

Yellow '02 GT.
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,454
Elec-FuYu
Specialist
Elec-FuYu Jan 7, 3:52am - #77894 
2003 Silver Toyota Celica
Specialist
2003 Toyota Celica

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,454
B.C. Coquitlam
you better watch out for that bulb on ur housing

I am a HID Maniac!!
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 975
xXMaGNuSXx
hookah-meister
xXMaGNuSXx Jan 7, 3:58am - #77895 
2000 Liquid Silver Toyota Celica GT
hookah-meister
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 975
Smog City LA
I have bulbs like that. You need to install wire protectors if you want to protect your housings. You can get them here: http://www.caltrading.com/store.html look on the bottom of the page. If you don't want to install the wire protectors (you have to do some cutting), just get some MTECs from the ecelica store which are standard wattage (55W/65W). My H7 bulbs are rated at 12V100W > 150W and my 9005 bulbs are rated at 12V100W > 160W.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,154
beans
ECelica Jester
beans Jan 7, 4:01am - #77896 
2000 white Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Jester
2000 Toyota Celica GTS

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,154
Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by xXMaGNuSXx
I have bulbs like that. You need to install wire protectors if you want to protect your housings. You can get them here: http://www.caltrading.com/store.html look on the bottom of the page. If you don't want to install the wire protectors (you have to do some cutting), just get some MTECs from the ecelica store which are standard wattage (55W/65W). My H7 bulbs are rated at 12V100W > 150W and my 9005 bulbs are rated at 12V100W > 160W.


nice to know
thumbsup
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,007
isaac
ECelica Admin
isaac Jan 7, 4:10am - #77897 
2001 Absolutely Red Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,007
Los Angeles, CA
I have done much research on the 4x lighting and found that it runs at exactly the same temperature as the stock Celica lighting (2x runs at a lower temp than stock).

I have been using 4x lighting in my high-beams since Mid November after reading that the temperatures were equal to stock lighting temperatures and as of 4:45pm this afternoon when I made a third check at the housing to confirm all was well - there were absolutely no sign of an issue

I have done allot of research to look out for any problems that may arise, and I am still looking for a sign that there may be the slightest of issue - believe me, if I thought there was even the slightest chance of there being a problem, I would NOT have put them into my own Celica rice

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 975
xXMaGNuSXx
hookah-meister
xXMaGNuSXx Jan 7, 6:08am - #77898 
2000 Liquid Silver Toyota Celica GT
hookah-meister
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 975
Smog City LA
Originally Posted by isaac
I have done much research on the 4x lighting and found that it runs at exactly the same temperature as the stock Celica lighting (2x runs at a lower temp than stock).

I have been using 4x lighting in my high-beams since Mid November after reading that the temperatures were equal to stock lighting temperatures and as of 4:45pm this afternoon when I made a third check at the housing to confirm all was well - there were absolutely no sign of an issue

I have done allot of research to look out for any problems that may arise, and I am still looking for a sign that there may be the slightest of issue - believe me, if I thought there was even the slightest chance of there being a problem, I would NOT have put them into my own Celica rice


This is from the bulb right and not from the wire? I have the bulbs for the highs, but I'm hestitant to install them since I'm afraid they might melt the wires or damage the housings since they're rated at 12V100W > 160W and since the DRLs also use the highs at 40%, I'm pretty much going to have the highs on all day.
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,007
isaac
ECelica Admin
isaac Jan 7, 6:16am - #77899 
2001 Absolutely Red Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 6,007
Los Angeles, CA
i drive with my lights on 100% of the time... when I checked today - no problems and everything was still a lot cooler than the heat the actual engine was generating after my 60 mile drive back from Industry

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,454
Elec-FuYu
Specialist
Elec-FuYu Jan 7, 11:25am - #77900 
2003 Silver Toyota Celica
Specialist
2003 Toyota Celica

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 2,454
B.C. Coquitlam
arent the H7 MTECHs in ECelica store 2 times?
only the H3 MTECH Super Yellows in ECelica store are 4 times arnt they?

by the way...my H3 Mtech Super Yellow burnt out on my on the 2nd week...i think the installer accidentally touched the bulb idunno~
using PIAA super yellow now

I am a HID Maniac!!
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 610
Spread Eagle
Senior Member
Spread Eagle Jan 7, 10:48pm - #77901 

Senior Member

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 610
South Sweden
Just get the MTEC bulbs thumbsup


Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,899
Gen7fan
ThE iRoN mAiDeN
Gen7fan Jan 7, 10:56pm - #77902 
2003 silver streak Toyota Celica GT
ThE iRoN mAiDeN
2003 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,899
Maryland
Originally Posted by Spread Eagle
Just get the MTEC bulbs thumbsup
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 105
7th_gen_celica
Member
7th_gen_celica Jan 8, 1:51am - #77903 
Member

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 105
NS
Originally Posted by Spread Eagle
Just get the MTEC bulbs thumbsup


those are mtec's. That is what Isaac was talking about in his first post.

Yellow '02 GT.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
slidr
Specialist
slidr Jan 8, 2:26am - #77904 

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,077
Saint Louis, MO
Originally Posted by Elec-FuYu
arent the H7 MTECHs in ECelica store 2 times?
only the H3 MTECH Super Yellows in ECelica store are 4 times arnt they?

by the way...my H3 Mtech Super Yellow burnt out on my on the 2nd week...i think the installer accidentally touched the bulb idunno~
using PIAA super yellow now
You didn't do it yourself?

Aqua Teen Hunger Force...number one in the hood, G
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,230
FloydianSlip6
Specialist
FloydianSlip6 Jan 8, 7:16am - #77905 

Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,230
Massachusetts
My friend has a Taco and he got some super bright lights similar to those. He totally fried his housings. Prolly a diff housing than is on our celi's but it might not be a bad idea to replace em just in case. He fried a housing and two sets of bulbs before it stuck. He wasn't too happy since those bulbs cost him a small fortune. thumbsdown
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 753
blackcel
Senior Member
blackcel Jan 8, 7:22am - #77906 

Senior Member
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 753
Southeastern, Illinois
Gotta love the mtecs!!! Does anyone know the bulb number on our DRL's???

[Linked Image]
Join the conversation - Register now or Sign in to add your comment


Moderated by  isaac 

Customize Your Toyota CelicaPrivacy Policy · About · Contact
CelicaHobby.com is an independent Toyota Celica enthusiast website. CelicaHobby.com is not sponsored by or affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. in any way. The Toyota and Celica names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
© CelicaHobby.com, 2001-2016