Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#7663 Aug 15, 1:35pm
2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Just wondering if any of you guys bought one of those things and I'm just wondering if makes any difference. Also wondering if taking the butterfly off makes any difference?(what's it's purpose?)

2000 GTS
BOMEX FRONT BUMPER
R2 SIDES (MOLDED-IN)
BUDDYCLUB BACK BUMPER
18" WHITE ADR GT SPORT

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
I heard it doesn't work.

The theory behind it is that if air travels in a funnel behavior more air will get through the intake tube. Which means air from the filter(point A) will get to the throttle body(point B) quicker if it was to pass through those flaps like that.

It may or may not work, the only way to prove it works is to do a dyno test for HP gains and to check on your miles per gallon.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
My friend just installed it yesterday on his celica gt (he also has a fireball muffler) and he said that he definitely notices a big increase in power. He noticed a major difference right away.

Makes me kinda wonder ya know. I've heard a lot of people say it doesn't work, but the funny thing is, most of those people never even tried it.

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
i wanna see a dyno

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Originally posted by Steven:
i wanna see a dyno
yea i wanna see a dyno too to know for sure. but my friend insists it's a big difference. he's gonna let me drive his car today after work. i'll get back to you, because i drove it before the tornado was installed.

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
I also wonder how it performs on the GTS.
Of a GTS w/CAI, i wonder if it will fit.
That would be great if it could raise my MPG, i go through gasoline as if there was a hole in my gas tank. shocked

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
I think that whole theroy of spinning the air through the pipe works because they developed new air intake filters that do the same thing.

HKS Super Mega Flow Systems
[Linked Image from modacar.com]

HKS Super Mega Flow Air Filter Systems have been engineered to dramatically reduce inlet restrictions posed by today's sealed factory air boxes. It represents the ultimate in filtered air flow. A typical performance air cleaner construction is bigger funnel = better air flow. HKS has created a supreme funnel design using this concept. This design creates maximum air flow with the least amount of restriction. The end result is a smooth and even air flow with increased engine response, horsepower, and fuel mileage.

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
I've seen many turbo applications at shows with this kind of filter instead of the traditional air filter.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hey guys GirlsRSXer's talking about me.. I just installed tornado in my car and reset my ECU I could not believe it my self... It gives me more boost. I'll let you know how much gas I can save after a week...(If I will).

[ 08-16-2002, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: kingter ]

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Hey kingter,
Give us an update on the miles per gallon.This would help me a lot if we can get more miles per gallon considering I drive a total trip of 120 miles a day to work shocked . Would be better if we can get this on dyno. by the way, how much did you end up paying for the tornado anyways and where did you get it?

[ 08-16-2002, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: vvtlr ]

2000 GTS
BOMEX FRONT BUMPER
R2 SIDES (MOLDED-IN)
BUDDYCLUB BACK BUMPER
18" WHITE ADR GT SPORT

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
wow. i just drove kingter's car at lunch. it was a lot faster than last time i drove it. i am impressed. i may have to get one of these 60 dollar mods. heheh
do you guys think there are any risks involved or na?

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
I dont think there's any risk bacause there are no moving parts involved. Well... you've convinced me, It's just a matter of looking for the best price! thanx, and keep me updated.

On second thought, spineyes I'll wait untill somebody dynoes their gts.

[ 08-16-2002, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: vvtlr ]

2000 GTS
BOMEX FRONT BUMPER
R2 SIDES (MOLDED-IN)
BUDDYCLUB BACK BUMPER
18" WHITE ADR GT SPORT

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
Originally posted by kingter:
It gives me more boost. I'll let you know how much gas I can save after a week...(If I will).
It may just be in your heads. I would like to see if possible, dyno's. Until then, im not sold.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I thought it was in his head, but when I drove his car, I could tell a difference. I wonder if you can find any dynos online. I'm sure people have dynoed with it. People are usually so against it because it's so cheap and sounds like a scam, but I'm not lying when I say his car is definitely quicker. Search for dynos with tornado. I'm sure you'll find some results.

Or i may do that

[ 08-16-2002, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: GirlRSXer ]

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
i know you shouldn't believe everything you read, but here's something:

http://tornadoair.com/road.htm

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
frankly im 99% sold, it sounds like a nice idea,and worth the gamble, $69 kinda pales in comparison with the $1500 i just paid for my body kit and carbon fiber hood, i was just wondering if it would fit snugly in an injen cai??

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
OK...#1 this is BULLSHIT... the tornado and similar products that spin your air flow DO NOT increase horsepower, if they do anything at all, they restrict it. I posted this topic a LONG time ago in newcelica.org... and everyone said its bogus... and they tried it on their cars or people who used it said it did jack. on the commercial they show an excursion dynoed... STOCK... then they show with the TORNADO...a gain...yes BECAUSE they also added a K&N intake system... on a v8 that should have a significant horsepower & torque increase, the INTAKE does the gain, not the tornado.

also...when you fill ur gas tank full, and you drive do you notice a power gain? if so its psychological... believe me tornado is a waste of money, if it worked everyone in the IMPORT world would be raving about how cheap this is and what a power increase it had... think about this.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
keep in mind that this product was more designed for fuel economy than for power... There is one on ebay now from someone who claimed to have it on his GT. He doesn't say anything about power increases, but boasts increadible fuel economy gains.

Just a thought... smile

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
it's not b.s.
it works
i drove his car before and after and it is definitely faster
believe what you guys want but for 60 something bucks, you guys are missin out if you don't give it a try.
i did hear something about it not working as well for power with a stock exhaust. that the power increase only works with an aftermarket muffler. i'm not sure why this would be. anyone?? the celica i drove had a fireball exhaust so this could explain the reason why the tornado thingy worked so well.

later

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
so does anyone have any first hand experience or at least some answer either way weather or not i should get one?, and how it works with a cai?

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
Good points h0l0grafik thumbsup

I went to the website a few days ago and it says they dynoed it on a few cars and only gave numbers, I didnt see the actual dyno chart. thumbsdown

I will only believe the claim of added HP if I see a dyno with this product installed in a celica. I don't really care too much that they claim to squeeze 5 hp out of a domestic vehicle.

SHOW ME THE DYNO

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
hey kingter,
just wondering if you calculated your miles per gallon with the tornado yet.

2000 GTS
BOMEX FRONT BUMPER
R2 SIDES (MOLDED-IN)
BUDDYCLUB BACK BUMPER
18" WHITE ADR GT SPORT

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
vvtlr,

I'll get back to you next on the exact calculation. but here's something for now, Before, I fill up my tank every end of the week but this week lasted for addtional 3 days approximately 18 miles more.I'll keep you posted.

[ 08-23-2002, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: kingter ]

im curious how it will work with an AEM cai...does anyone know if it will fit?

Black 02 GT
AEM cai
TRD exaust
hotshot header
TRD body kit
Tanabe sustec tower strut bar
eibach sportlines
2 JL 12w3v2's 500 watt JL amp and 300 watt amp for the pioneer insides
17" konig tantrums wrapped 215/17/45 Kumho supra ecsta 712's

so what happens when the little propeller breaks and the pieces happen to get sucked into your motor? rice

Originally Posted by RACarboy
so what happens when the little propeller breaks and the pieces happen to get sucked into your motor?
The pieces will make your engine go crazy

2005 Toyota Celica SX
2005 Toyota Celica SX
lol could you get a law suit against them for this? if it in fact actually happend?:rotf:

"girls like it when you have a six pack but not after you have finished one"

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
I am sorry this is so long!!

Originally Posted by Steven
I think that whole theroy of spinning the air through the pipe works because they developed new air intake filters that do the same thing.

HKS Super Mega Flow Systems
[Linked Image from modacar.com]

HKS Super Mega Flow Air Filter Systems have been engineered to dramatically reduce inlet restrictions posed by today's sealed factory air boxes. It represents the ultimate in filtered air flow. A typical performance air cleaner construction is bigger funnel = better air flow. HKS has created a supreme funnel design using this concept. This design creates maximum air flow with the least amount of restriction. The end result is a smooth and even air flow with increased engine response, horsepower, and fuel mileage.

The "Bell Mouth Intake" has been proven since the 50's (Divergent aspect of the Bernoulli's Principal). Almost all turbo shaft helicopters that do not exceed 80 VNE is equipped with them.

The most dramatic testimony for the Tornado is the bottles where the water is passed from one to the other and the air is more uniform.

Stop and think!
Is there a TWO WAY flow in your intake?
Will anything causing a mass of air to change directions cause drag?
Why have they not sought approval for aviation applications?
Remember! Sub-sonic air is UNCOMPRESSABLE in a venturi!!!

Optional Unit VI: Fluid Mechanics
E. Bernoulli's Principle

Key Concepts!!!!
Streamlining involves reducing the turbulence that results when a fluid flows. In streamlined (laminar) flow, the fluid behaves as if it consisted of thin sheets of fluid. The interchange of fluid between the sheets is minimal in streamlined flow.

When turbulent flow occurs, whirlpools and eddies form. Turbulence results in extra drag on objects moving through a fluid.
The study of forces and pressures that change the motion of fluids is called hydrodynamics.

An incompressible, inviscid fluid which moves into a region having a different cross-sectional area (A) undergoes a change in speed (v). The product A - v remains constant.
P1A1v1 = P2A2v2
If the fluid is incompressible, P1 = P2 and they cancel to give:
A1v1 = A2v2 (equation of continuity)

^^ this proves that all the "Tornado" does is induce drag! No compression!

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
my dad got one for his car. he said it works. He has a 04 pontiact bonnaville

cant say ive done that before... ahh crap

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I posted about this thing along time ago and got mixed reviews on it, but i bought it anyway and to be honest it's been about 4 months and i really didn't notice any power but i do get a lot more miles to the gallon.

Sounds to me like the turbonator worked...it took yer money! cry spineyes

"I will be merciful.........and quick!"