Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 118
biggamejk
Member
biggamejk Dec 30, 6:12pm - #75284 

Member
2001 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 118
Australia
car feels stuffed...suspension issues


hey guys, i got a 1.25" lowering about 6 months ago and i have serious rear negative camber issues (as in my tires visibly titled in) and my ride feels heaps bumpy, so bumpy everything in my car is creaking cracking and rattling...

i was wondering if you any of you guys had similar problems after lowering... (or is it just my car?? confused)

and if you did.. what did you do about it? what mods did you do to fix the problem...!

thanks!! ^^
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
Speed4TheNeed Dec 30, 6:20pm - #75285 

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
not sure about the camber issues...but the bumpy issue is normal.

when you lower your car, you obviously lowering your springs. lower spings = less give. you can't have the same stock give on a lowered spring or else your car would scrape the ground when you hit a bump. as a rule of thumb..the shorter your spring is, the more bumpy your ride will be because the less it can give.
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,043
trog2233
ECelica Staff
trog2233 Dec 30, 6:21pm - #75286 

ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,043
Williamsport, PA
yea you will have some negitive camber..thats normal...i wouldn't worry about it...u can get the hotchkis camber links if you want but from ur drop you shouldn't have any problems
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 118
biggamejk
Member
biggamejk Dec 30, 6:44pm - #75287 

Member
2001 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 118
Australia
can the camber problem get any worse???
like totally flip in one day?? hahahaha
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,043
trog2233
ECelica Staff
trog2233 Dec 30, 6:50pm - #75288 

ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,043
Williamsport, PA
Originally Posted by biggamejk
can the camber problem get any worse???
like totally flip in one day?? hahahaha


lol no it won't get any worse
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,061
carbon_blue_gt
Specialist
carbon_blue_gt Dec 30, 7:52pm - #75289 
2001 carbon blue Toyota Celica GT
Specialist
2001 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,061
Wyoming
Actually, if you take it to an alignment shop, with only 1.25" of drop, they should be able to correct most of your negative camber with the stock camber plates. I have Tein S-Tech, with a 1.4" drop, and I had it aligned after installing the springs. I now have .5 degrees of negative camber. The guy at the shop told me he could have corrected it a little more, but that .5 degrees wouldn't hurt the tires too badly, and would give me a little more cornering traction for Wyoming's sh!tty a$$ streets. As far as the rattling goes... the only thing you can do is to go around your car, and make sure that every bolt is tight, and nothing is rubbing, or vibrating where it shouldn't be.

[Linked Image]
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,295
Steven
ECelica Staff
Steven Dec 30, 8:16pm - #75290 
2001 Spectra Blue Mica Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,295
Riverside, CA
The factory negative camber is like -1.1 not -.5

Setting your camber closer to 0 than -1.1 will make your car sit taller.

If you're worried that your negative camber will wear your tires out unevenly, then get a 4 wheel computer alignment to 0 toe in the front and back. Toe is what eats tires worse than really bad neg. camber.

Originally Posted by carbon_blue_gt
Actually, if you take it to an alignment shop, with only 1.25" of drop, they should be able to correct most of your negative camber with the stock camber plates. I have Tein S-Tech, with a 1.4" drop, and I had it aligned after installing the springs. I now have .5 degrees of negative camber. The guy at the shop told me he could have corrected it a little more, but that .5 degrees wouldn't hurt the tires too badly, and would give me a little more cornering traction for Wyoming's sh!tty a$$ streets. As far as the rattling goes... the only thing you can do is to go around your car, and make sure that every bolt is tight, and nothing is rubbing, or vibrating where it shouldn't be.
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,295
Steven
ECelica Staff
Steven Dec 30, 8:19pm - #75291 
2001 Spectra Blue Mica Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,295
Riverside, CA
Actually, negative camber can be a good thing.

I am going to get a custom alignment with -1.4 to -1.5 degrees camber in the back and -1.75 to -1.80 in the front to eliminate my understeer.

That way when i turn the body roll of the car places the tires more flat onto the ground creating more traction and less pushing, I hope. cool
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 5,346
spaztikid
dikitzaps
spaztikid Dec 30, 8:31pm - #75292 
dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 5,346
LA
Originally Posted by Steven
Actually, negative camber can be a good thing.

I am going to get a custom alignment with -1.4 to -1.5 degrees camber in the back and -1.75 to -1.80 in the front to eliminate my understeer.

That way when i turn the body roll of the car places the tires more flat onto the ground creating more traction and less pushing, I hope. cool


your theort is correct...and you will have better turning for the above reasons...but it will eat at the inner portion of your tires WAY faster.
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,295
Steven
ECelica Staff
Steven Dec 30, 8:36pm - #75293 
2001 Spectra Blue Mica Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 3,295
Riverside, CA
It won't be as bad as you think. It's a good thing I have a set of racing tires and rims! thumbsup

Originally Posted by spaztikid
Originally Posted by Steven
Actually, negative camber can be a good thing.

I am going to get a custom alignment with -1.4 to -1.5 degrees camber in the back and -1.75 to -1.80 in the front to eliminate my understeer.

That way when i turn the body roll of the car places the tires more flat onto the ground creating more traction and less pushing, I hope. cool


your theort is correct...and you will have better turning for the above reasons...but it will eat at the inner portion of your tires WAY faster.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 753
blackcel
Senior Member
blackcel Dec 30, 8:45pm - #75294 

Senior Member
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 753
Southeastern, Illinois
I recently put on the Eibach Sportlines, and my rear tires are visibly tilted inwards, so when you decide to get yours fixed, update on what you did.

[Linked Image]
Join the conversation - Register now or Sign in to add your comment


Moderated by  isaac 

Customize Your Toyota CelicaPrivacy Policy · About · Contact
CelicaHobby.com is an independent Toyota Celica enthusiast website. CelicaHobby.com is not sponsored by or affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. in any way. The Toyota and Celica names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
© CelicaHobby.com, 2001-2016