Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
I know there are a lot of topics about springs and coilovers and shocks. I have search and read all of them and did not really find my answer. I did find another post with my same question un answered. So here goes.

If you lower your car with coilovers everyone this will cause premature wear of your shocks becuase the shocks are being compressed, corect? And the same thing can happen with springs if you go low enough. My questions if you had coilovers set at the same height as a set of springs will either cause more or less wear to your shocks? Why? Could it be the sleeve and perch of the coilovers?

If you had coilovers set to it highest setting (no drop) how would this affect shock wear? How much degraded would the ride quality be with coilovers set to highest setting?

Thanks,Great Board.

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
Anybody.. I am going to feel like an a$$ if someone points out the answer in another thread, but I would rather know the answer and feel like an a$$ then not know the answer at all.

what's up... i'm also a novice at suspension and i've posted my share of questions which were answered by helpful folks on this board. so i guess it's my turn to try and answer yours =)

to my understanding, when you lower your car with coilovers, they replace your shocks. coilovers are special shocks that allow you to adjust your ride height. you may be talking about coilover 'inserts', which are just springs with an adjustable screw for adjusting your ride height. as far as shock deterioration using these coilover 'inserts', i would imagine they would be worse for your shocks than lowering springs. don't ask me why, it's just my intuition since these inserts are purely cosmetic and are just a cheap way to get an adjustable ride height. i hope this helped...

//2k3 zephBlue celica

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
Thanks for trying to help... I am aware that a "real" set of coilovers that replace the shocks and all is better. But my questions was geared a little more towards weather or not a set of cheap coilovers are bad becuase most people slam them or if the perch and sleeves have some barring on shock wear?

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
adamj5

Let me give my 2 cents...

If you have a coilover conversion kit (inserts)...But your car is not extremly low...I dont see it wearing the shocks out, and if there was wearing, it would probobly be minimal, in other words, you wouldn't notice.

If it were a race car yeah, any wearing would be a problem, but your talkin a daily driver or street car. Don't worry about it, I've had coilover kits and lowering springs, they all wear the shocks the same amount, depending on the ride height. The lower the car, the quicker the shocks wear, obviously.

If your still worried about it, Ground Control makes a coilover kit that fits Koni shocks. Check out this link.

http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm...20Suspension%20Suspension%20Kit&vaffid=0 [nopionline.com]

By the way, I don't see the point in anyone buying a coilover insert kit and keeping the car factory height...Its pointless, the stock springs handle good... probobly even better.

[ 12-26-2002, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: redracer ]

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
That pretty much answers my question... I will probably go with coilovers since I will only drop my ride on select weekends. And the roads around here are crap. Plus I plan to get kit and would hat to have to buy another set of springs when I get my kit. I might buy new shocks before my kit but thats a ways away anyhow.

Thanks guys.