Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
hey guys i'm in a little problem. my exhaust is giving off this horrible smell. i mean i know you r supposed to smell carbonmonoxide fumes, but seems like for the last 4-5 days it's giving off excessive amounts of these damn fumes, hence a lot stronger smell. i have an aftermarket muffler, w/ about 35k miles on the exhaust. i can't take it to the dealer as it is an aftermarket exhaust. i can't even put groceries in my trunk or take them out, while my car is running. what should i do about this problem. does n e one know wut this might be. plz, help b4 i die from this pungent smell. thnx in advance for ur help.

slik

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
check to see if the inside of the tip is excessivly black and if the exhaust fumes looks black as it is coming out the pipe.check to see if the tip is not burning the coating on your bumper.if the exhaust fumes are black(darker than usual)it means that something is causing you to run rich.it could be the packing in the exhaust as well.i know of cases where the packing in exhaust gets soaked with water from the exhaust and clump together(sometimes thats the reason why some exhausts seem to get louder as time go on)when they compact together they trap this smell,it smells like a real sharp burning smell,like plastic or burnt rubber.one time some of the liquid got on my hand and it was difficult to get rid of! take a whiff of the muffler tip(when car is off) and see if its coming from the tail pipe itself.

HYBRID:resulting from the combination of two or more mechanically dissimilar origins!
"...... code":every man is a shadow,let him be treated as such,until proven otherwise by a show of character or code!

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
you can't smell carbon monoxide...its odorless. that said it isn't uncommon for your exhaust to produce some fould smells.

check out this from the ecelica "featured articles" forum:
bad smell from exhaust

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
thnx for the help guys, and i read the article that you posted the link for speed, but i don't think that's the case. c i only smell it when my car's running. as soon as i start up my car i start to smell it. but when my car's turned off i can't smell n e thing. my bumper is fine the paint on the bumper is fine as well. i don't know wut the deal is. i'm going to go clean the exhaust tip is you guys said that might be the case or something. man this bugging me out. plz, if you can think of something else, lemme know. thnx for all ur help.

slik

dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
sometimes carbon deposits make bad smells come from the exhaust. Try taking it on a long ride and the smell may go away.

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by spaztikid
sometimes carbon deposits make bad smells come from the exhaust. Try taking it on a long ride and the smell may go away.

long, fast ride. find a freeway.

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
a burned out or damaged cat will cause some nasty smells also ... a lot like rotten eggs/milk!!!!

1995 Toyota Celica ST
1995 Toyota Celica ST
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
you can't smell carbon monoxide...its odorless. that said it isn't uncommon for your exhaust to produce some fould smells.