New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#67671 Dec 10, 7:09pm
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Is it even possible to produce this from a celi. If it is i will find the money and get it so dont worry about that. I would be running: 2 12 inch Rockford fosgate power HX2's with 6 infinity kappa 63.5. What do i need to this. Recommend a head unit and amps. For an amp i was thinking Rockford Fosgate power 1051S amp but i would need a couple. What would i need for power new alternator, battery?

Last edited by spyder00367; Dec 10, 2003 7:11pm.

Originally Posted by Marco_L
[quote=JLATD]Ohm's Law can help us determine how much current we will need.
Current (Amps) = Power (Watts) / Voltage.

This isn't what they told me when they explained Ohm's law grin
Ohm's law: voltage = current x resistance

Well, we can't use that formula because we don't know current or resistance in this case. That is why we are looking for current.

Voltage = current x resistance
Voltage = SqRt (power x resistance)
Voltage = power / resistance

We already knew Voltage (12.5V) the question was what can the car handle (current).

Current = voltage / resistance
Current = power / voltage
Current = SqRt (power / resistance

Because we only know the amp's power and the available voltage, the formula to use was correctly stated as
Current (amps) = Power (Watts) / Voltage.

The opinions expressed by JLATD in this forum are his and do not reflect those of ownership of JL Audio, Inc.

Originally Posted by Marco_L
Originally Posted by JLATD
Ohm's Law can help us determine how much current we will need.
Current (Amps) = Power (Watts) / Voltage.

This isn't what they told me when they explained Ohm's law grin
Ohm's law: voltage = current x resistance

But besides from this, the story is true of course.
Allthough your calculating with maximum values. When someone uses their install to the max the car will use less current I guess. And during 'normal' driving the install will use less current (unless you drive around with earplugs).

So I don't think you'll need a different alternator with an install of 1000Wmax.

What is the capacity of our alternator by the way?
The average power usage of an abusive user (SPL all the way) is 50%. The average efficiency of an amplifier is 50%. So basically, the amount of power extracted for the electrical system by someone who wants to know what the max possible is 100% of the amplifier's capabilities. If the guy was going to listen to sine waves clipped by 3dB all the time, the damand would be 200% of the amplifier's power.

The opinions expressed by JLATD in this forum are his and do not reflect those of ownership of JL Audio, Inc.

#67674 Dec 15, 1:04pm
Originally Posted by spyder00367
So what does this mean? This isnt possible? I also need recommendations on a good headunit that would be able to handle this.
The point of my reply was to show you what was possible. Take whatever amp you want to install and review my post. Whatever you decide, you will know how much current you'll need and what size alternator you will need to install.

I was trying to show you how to fish instead of just giving you food.

If you are and abusive listener (loud or off) the stock electrical system will support 480 Watts. Average power used: 50%
A normal listener's stock charging system can support 1200 Watts. Average power used: 20%
This assumes a 90 amp alternator which I believe can be found in the Celica GTS.