Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Hey guys Toyota just put a new 6-Speed in my Celica GTS because my synchro's had gone bad. I had them put a TRD Clutch in the car since I would not have to pay labor. My only concern now is that the car shifts different going from 2nd to 3rd gear. It is like the stick does not move over into position to go into third and if you try to shift to quickly you "hit a brick wall" trying to shift. Is there an adjustment that you can make to get the stick to move over into position better? I don't mind too much cause I am just glad to have the car and with time I am sure I will learn to adjust to the way it shifts, but if I could get it to shift like it did before they replaced the tranny that would be great.

Thanks

2003 Toyota Celica
2003 Toyota Celica
I'm pretty sure your used to shifting in the older transmission with narrower shift gates. I believe the 02+ have wider gates to shift because toyota got too many blown (misshifted) trannies. I guess they just decided to make the shift gates wider to avoid this problem in the future (yet people are still misshiftin...) Just take some time to practice. If your still hitting this "brick wall" then there may be something wrong (but I doubt it, if it's a brand new tranny).

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Thanks...I think you are probably right. I figure when I put a short shifter on that ought to help out too. So I will go with the flow cause the thing shifts smoothly, I am just hitting that shift gate from 2nd to 3rd.

2003 Toyota Celica
2003 Toyota Celica
Did you get the 00-02 tranny or the '03-04 one which is differant.. much smoother.

Hows the TRD clutch anyways, good, notice an improvement..?

~* Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep *~
- Nocturnal Supremacy -

Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
i have a 2000 gts and my shift gates are waaay too narrow. i "hit a brick wall" all the time and it makes me keep my foot on the clutch longer than i should have to.

and yeah, its a b*tch to race with sometimes when the stick doesnt go where you want it to go. thumbsdown

ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
thumbsup

[Linked Image]

1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe!!! not a
1990 Nissan 240SX Coupe!!! not a
Originally Posted by ayoung02
Hey guys Toyota just put a new 6-Speed in my Celica GTS because my synchro's had gone bad. I had them put a TRD Clutch in the car since I would not have to pay labor. My only concern now is that the car shifts different going from 2nd to 3rd gear. It is like the stick does not move over into position to go into third and if you try to shift to quickly you "hit a brick wall" trying to shift. Is there an adjustment that you can make to get the stick to move over into position better? I don't mind too much cause I am just glad to have the car and with time I am sure I will learn to adjust to the way it shifts, but if I could get it to shift like it did before they replaced the tranny that would be great.

Thanks

Dumb Question.What are synchros?(i should really know what these are)

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by BHayes____ZZT231
Originally Posted by ayoung02

Thanks

Dumb Question.What are synchros?(i should really know what these are)

www.howstuffworks.com [howstuffworks.com]

2003 Toyota Celica
2003 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by sPeEd4tHeNeEd
i have a 2000 gts and my shift gates are waaay too narrow. i "hit a brick wall" all the time and it makes me keep my foot on the clutch longer than i should have to.

and yeah, its a b*tch to race with sometimes when the stick doesnt go where you want it to go. thumbsdown

If your shift gates are narrower, wouldn't it be more logical that you could shift without hitting the "brick wall" because the shift gates are closer... confused Maybe you hit the 3-5 shift gate shiftin from 2-3... I personally have the 2003 tranny with the wider shift gates and a TWM ss so I have no problems hitting the shift gate (only the first week I had my car, I needed to get used to it). And OCCASIONALLY I'm not fully in gear, pop the clutch half way and rev it because everything is done so fast and my tranny grinds. cry I think I would do this less w/o the SS... oh well.

Last edited by 6speed; Dec 5, 2003 1:19am.

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Yeah if the shift gates are narrower it would be easier to shift, I had the 00 manual tranny and I only would hit the gate from 1-2 and that was the reverse gate cause it seemed to get in the way a lot until I got used to it. I have been driving the car for two days now and I am used to the wider shift gate going from 2 to 3 and I have no problems now. I think the TRD clutch kicks butt. The thing just seems to grab ahold of the gears and launch. Overall I am happy with the new TRD clutch and Tranny and I think with a short shifter I will be having some real fun!