Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
Ok, I don't want to sound like I'm bragging or anything, but... I appreciate when some of you guys share your good as well as bad experiences with Celica. First of all, it's lame that we can't get a freaking Supercharger or a Turbocharger from every single manufacturer including the makers of Russian cars. The reason I'm saying this is because Celica is a kick-ass car. That, and I'm sick of driving with two squirrels under my hood, even though it's a GTS.
At any rate, this is about a short shifter. I got a B&M Short Throw Shifter Kit because TRD got their head too far up their own asses trying to figure out how to add half a horse to the one and a half they put in a fucking Corolla.
Snap out of it, idiots. It's a Corolla, or Matrix, or Tundra for that matter. Why the fuck would a redneck need a supercharger on a fucking truck?! Is he going to do time trials at Tzukuba circuit, or he needs to take his fat ass, as well as his fat-ass woman, to Chinese Buffet?!
So thanks B & M. You share my pain. It's a 150 bucks and it worked on my GTS. TRD had one but it was for, I don't want to say the wrong thing so check for yourself, I think 2001 or 2002 and down, so mine was a year younger and it had a redesigned shifter or some shit like that. So B&M install was fairly quick, considering I'm a complete dumb-ass when it comes to those things. It would be even quicker for someone who has any idea what he is doing. The good thing there were directions in the box as well as on their website so short of installing it themselfes they did a good job on making sure I don't fuck anything up.
One thing I would suggest though, is to to put either a grocery bag or a clear plastic wrap they used in Booty Call to make sure nothing falls down and slides down the floor under the carpet as it happened to me. I had to take out a passenger seat just to find out later that they included the part I was digging for. Once you remove the plastic console and all of that crap, and you just have that white plastic shifter base sitting on it's own, before you drive any pins out put a bag over it so that when you remove pins and clips if they do slip from the base or your hands they won't go under the carpet and make sure you got all of the tools, except for the punch to push out a retaining pin on a shifter cover with a hammer. If you have it that's great. I didn't, but for that you just need a phillips screwdriver that's big enough to push the clip and small enough to fit into the hole.
Few things that gave me trouble.
1.Make sure you are prepared to battle the push nut on the shifter cover, but don't worry about it getting bent because they don't list in the parts but it comes with the kit.
2. Putting the round part of the bottom of the rod into it's little housing at the end of the bottom shifter cable is a little weird at first. I almost shit my pants because I thought it didn't fit. But I just grabbed it with both hands and pushed it in with my thumbs into the housing.
3. Putting the retaining clip on the bottom of the shifter is a bitch! Pure and simple. It's a pretty tight squeze for the hands under the shifter base so it will take you more patience than talent to get it back on. I would suggest to get your shlomo friend into the action like I did. I just had him hold the shifter rod steady as I was working the retaining clip back onto the cable. Take a good look before you put it on to see which way it goes around the rod and cable before removing it or if you have a digital camera take a picture with that and make sure you can make out what you took so you don't cuss your ass off later.
4. A spring that goes on a shifter arm on the driver side of the shifter base. The arm connects the second cable to the shifter. You have to spread two ends of the spring and push it over little extrusion on the base. You'll figure it out unless you are dumber than me, which is highly unlikely.
Just look for these four things before you take everything apart and note on how it sits before. That way you won't have too many problems putting it back together.
And make sure to be patient and don't try to skip steps so you can drive sooner because if you fuck up you'll spend extra time redoing it.
Bottom line, I like it. I can switch into even gears (2,4,6) without moving my arm, just flick it with a wrist. Soon I'll add a clutch adjuster from arospeed.com and it should make life easier in traffic and shifting quick without making the car sound like a fucking rig taking off at the stoplight (Ghrhrrrr...) Now that I think of it, maybe TRD should give quick shifter to Peterbuilt and Freightliners instead of Celica. Peace, and hope I was of any help. Let me know if you have any questions. Angry SpeedShifter.

dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
dikitzaps
1974 Toyota Celica
lollol :whatever:...glad your happy with your B&M.

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
next time i want to read a book ill go to the library. i think there are 3 turbo kits out now and 1 supercharger. one thing is for sure they are a hell of a lot more expensive than your shifter. and why would you want a turbo kit from every place? it would just make it very difficult to sort out the really good ones from the ones that are just a waste of money wtf

a kid told me that celicas handle like crap... i laughed

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by fastceli2001
next time i want to read a book ill go to the library. i think there are 3 turbo kits out now and 1 supercharger. one thing is for sure they are a hell of a lot more expensive than your shifter. and why would you want a turbo kit from every place? it would just make it very difficult to sort out the really good ones from the ones that are just a waste of money wtf

Because at least you'll have more choices on which ones to choose from. As of right now you only have a choice of three.
Regarding the prices, I'll pay what I think it's worth, one thing I won't do however is put bunch of lame B&M stickers on my hood and make everyone feel like they don't deserve to have an opinion.
I try to help out whoever is interested in my opinion, and if you aren't, you don't have to let the world know about it. Just don't reply.
238037-3875-6.jpg

Last edited by murzin82; Nov 11, 2003 7:39pm.

02 Toyota Celica GT
02 Toyota Celica GT
whats this clutch adjuster that arospeed makes? explain please

Team Shoganai...

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by hi ho silver
whats this clutch adjuster that arospeed makes? explain please

Basically it is an item that goes on the pedal to make the clutch travel distance shorter. Think of it as a door with a door stop with the clutch pedal being a door. Once you install the clutch adjuster it supposed to shorten the distance between the "door" and the "doorstop". I've gotten it already but because I'm out of town, my friend is sending it to me so I'll get it by the end of the week and install it then. Once I do, I'll let you know how it worked out. You can e-mail me infact, that way I'll add you to my buddy list and reply once I get it installed. rice

http://arospeed.com/product_info.php?products_id=570