Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Just got new sys installed. CDT Cl-61 comps rated max 90w rms X 2. Running on US Acoustics 2100 at 100w rms x 2. I'm overall happy but get lots of low end distortion at about 55% volume. Installers used existing 18 gauge wire and when I asked if I should get a larger gauge they assured me that 18g was sufficient. Also they said distortion could be due to crossover "turne on" at the amp to prevent frying the speakers. But all research I did on these comps said they could take all 90rms and more! Is there a problem or do I need to get some subs? Or wait til they break in?

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I had similar problems.

Try installing a powercap.
Worked for me, better than I dreamed of

2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Make sure the ground wire is properly installed.
It should be no longer than 8 inches long and should be tight against a meatl surface that connects to the frame. Also make sure the area it touches is not a painted surface. Sand it down so that the connection touches bare metal... That might help...

ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
yea it definitely couldn't hurt to get a bigger gauge wire...i dont' know why they would use that in the first place...but yea i'd check ur ground... confused

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Sorry to sound like a dick, but you get what you pay for. Us Acoustics and CDT sucks. I know from experience for sure on the amp, but i heard CDT blows. You can run 8 awg wire just to those highs and its not gonna help. Get better equipment.

Thanks for the advice other than to throw my new system away...doesn't help a thing.

I don't know a lot about installing (why I paid for it). What ground wire? Is there one from the head unit and the amp? Which should I check? And do you think I should take it back to installers to check and also demand heavier gauge wire to the speakers? Sorry to sound nieve but I guess I am here. lol.

ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
go tell them ur problem...u bought all that product from them...they should have enough customer service to help you out thumbsup

Also ...there is a ground wire that runs from the amp to the frame of the car somewhere

Now this powercap...what does it do and where do I get a good one online? Easy to install myself? Thanks again.

ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
a cap isn't gonna do anything...if its distorting its lack of current or lack of equipment performance

all a cap does is store power and keep the strain off ur battery thumbsup

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
My sound was distorted too at higher volumes.
My powercap fixed that for sure.

I am not doubting Trogg's judgement, but it worked for me.

If it won't work it will at least look cool smile

Sara Sucks :P
Sara Sucks :P
Before jumping the gun, try this:

Check the phasing of the speakers. If your speakers are out of phase you will get distortion because the speakers will be basically working against one another instead of working with each other.

How to check if your speakers are in phase:
Make sure that the wire they used for the positive is the same for each speaker. So what i mean if they so used the red wire for positive on one side but for some reason sitched the red to be negative on the other side then your speakers will be out of phase.

I know it sounds stupid but i was a Car Audio installer for almost 4 years and this is a very easy mistake to make and is probably on of the most common errors!!! Hope that helps!!! thumbsup

I am sorry but, if yu do not know what the ground wires are then you really should take it back to the shop.
Everything that has been said in this thread could be the cause but, you cannot know for sure until a professional looks at it.

Good luck...

1997 Nissan Pathfinder
1997 Nissan Pathfinder
Originally Posted by ronmcfeaters
Sorry to sound like a dick, but you get what you pay for. Us Acoustics and CDT sucks. I know from experience for sure on the amp, but i heard CDT blows. You can run 8 awg wire just to those highs and its not gonna help. Get better equipment.

WTF are you talking about? CDT makes some of the best speakers available. Get a clue

Anyway, check the gain setting on the amp. If that's cranked then thats your cause. Next check your headunit, flatten out the bass and treble boosts.

Caps are totally unrealted. If you have a poor ground then it could create bad continuity but still that wouldn't cause the amp to clip the signal as far as I know.