Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

hey guys i know the turbo setup is not out yet but i have a question...you could actually build one your self right? ok there is a toyota turbo on ebay came from a 4AGZE engine from japan. comes with everything the guy used it on..manifold,downpipe etc... what is the diff. between that engine and say the newer engines? couldnt you just make a custom manifold and do all the pipe binding and intercooler work your self and turbo it? The other question is why doesnt toyota make a supercharger for the cars? the make them for the trucks and suv's..welll TRD does what ever you know what i mean. Any help would be get thanks guys...later

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
People should really research whether or not a car has a produced turbo kit PRIOR to purchasing the car if they are SERIOUS about going the f/i route.

listen people that is for a GTS will it fit a GT? you guys sure are harsh on new people to the board...maybe i should have stuck with my honda because they are a lot more willing to help out . By the way i really didnt want to spend #4,000 on a turbo that is insane

plus you never even answered the questions i ask !!!!!

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Sorry, I don`t think anybody wanted to hurt you.

I do think it`s possible to build a custom turbo, but very difficult and not that much cheaper.
Most of the turbos wich are designed for a 1.8 engine are a good start. Than as you said you have to make a right sized downp. and manifold. Than you need oil (and water) lines to the turbo a blow off valve ( set on the right psi),electrical and fuel mods.
If you can get the theese parts for cheep and have time to fabricate try, but if you are not expert, you risking to blow your engine.

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
I`d rather suggest to buy a kit from a 1zzfe engine MR2 and modify that. But that is still ~3500$.

05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
Yes, you are risking for any damage. The degree of difficulty of installing a turbo is hard. The celica engine was not made for a turbo anyway. It is a naturally aisperated motor with a higher compression than most engines. Because the car does not come stock with a turbo from toyota, isn't that kinda saying, "we built this car without a turbo because we did not want to and because of our design of the engine, makes it difficult to get a custom installed."
I have seen celicas with turbos, but GT's got em and they weren't cheap to install. That is why TRD is making a supercharger for the celica and matrix engine, so you can get that added hp gain for the same price or actually in some cases cheaper. Some cars are simply not designed for turbos or superchargers, it's either one or the other or none if no one makes anything...

SUBARU TECNICA INTERNATIONAL

ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
look, turbos are not cheap, custom made is even expensive, theres that MAX IT OUT video that has the red GT on it, HKS did fully customized his turbo, and spent 5k i guess, im not sure but if theres anyone with an article regarding this please post, and i guess i saw one on Super Street issue last year, are you lookin for a turbo for 500 bucks? i dont think so if theres one for that price, its crazy... good luck on your search thumbsup if not: maybe you should have stuck with your honda because they are a lot more willing to help out: if you think were not. peace.

[Linked Image]

well thanks t those that reply..no one hurt me just that i am ask-n- a question and all i get it shit like..." ya what this then" or " maybe you show read up on your stuff before ask-n- questions" that is what a board like this is FOR. not starting any beef with anyone just ask-n- a simple question that is all. i have many friends that have built custom turbos for there Hondas for way less than a $1500.00 bucks. all i am ask-n- for is stuff like... use this manifold it would be easier to mod...or use a T3 turbo or one of a Supra better for Toyota...stuff liike that. all i want to know is to get to know thisa engine i have in my new ride. i picked the Celica because the sipmle fact that EVERYONE wants Honda and i though i would try and represent the Toyota market out here. thats all. so whatever and thanks for the info...later

thats the exact same reason why i got a celica, cause everyone has a honda, but you gotta take in mind that the high compression ratio is hard to FI, if compression was a low as the gt its a lot easier, the high compression also helps us rev faster. It was built to be NA not FI. thats why its so hard to do it. Plus no one wants to touch it cause of the high compression, What if a company just put out a turbo to say they have one, but every engine it gets put on blows cause of the high compression. There goes their rep for FI and they wont sell anymore. So if you want to FI your gts than get lower comp pistons and it will help alot. IF you stick around for a while you will also notice the aftermarket support for us celicas is a lot smaller than honda, why do you think honda is for most begginers on cars, cause its so easy to work on and there is so much support for it. Thats why when you see a beefed up celica it means a ton more than a beefed up integra or rsx. we are all here to help but if you use the search button you will see this was talked about a ton of times.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Custom turbo... Basic decent custom setup is going to cost you around $6,000. Fully modified with laptop control (yep like that damn Fast & the Furious movie) with internals done doing 1/4 mile under 10 sec will cost ya around $14,000 from someone who use to be partner of Area51 (well know company that does these work)

MIKE-LU...you have a turboed Celica right? ok then could you use a turbo off of one of the old celicas and custom it to a new one? My friend owns a custom performance shop here in town so the work would be done by us three. but none of us know Toyota as well as honda...thats is my basic question..what manifold would be easier to customize and what turbo would work the best?my friend owns FLATLANDMOTORSPORTS INC. i get all my parts and things from him and he has pipe benders all the crap need etc...i just need some basic knowledge of the engine . if you have a better place where i can get this all please let me know. My car is a 2000GT. thanks for the reasponse and your help..i really need it i guess..later

I am definitely looking to turbo my GTS, I know that www.turbo-performance.com [turbo-performance.com] has a turbo for the GTS, which I believe is only around 5 psi...someone correct me if I am wrong...which I also heard is pretty safe for the GTS, even with the high compression. I am gonna wait a couple more months though, b/c i also heard that some other companies are also developing a turbo kit for the GTS. I hope it works out great, b/c I really want a turbo. later guys

2002 Absolutely Red GT-S 6-speed
AEM CAI
AEM Pulley
Tanabe Super Racing Medallion Exhaust

Coming soon:(As soon as I save up)
Custom Turbo Setup

you have a gt well than thats a whole new story, hell yea definitely make a custom kit than, mike lu would definitely be the guy to talk to, also browse the forums in Newcelica.org in the FI forum, some peeps have turbo cars there. you can get all the info you need there as well as here, but more peeps post on nc.org. And the turbo performance kit is crap from what i have heard, go with XS turbo, it even comes with a apex power FC stand alone ecu tuned for you. if you have a gts i would wait till spring to see all the new goodies coming out

HUNGSTER...thats what i am taking about thanks for the info man...laters

DOC - Be VERY VERY careful if ordering from turbo-performance.com sometimes they do not send all the pieces or send the incorrect pieces (manifold) for the application and their customer service is horrible.

Hungster and Utkdawg, thanks for the info about turbo performance, I definitely am not gonna get one from them now, wow, I am really glad that I wrote that response in this post before I bought it...I would have so pissed off, the hell with turbo performance. What do guys think I should do? I really want a turbo, but I want one that is made by a well-known and trustworthy company, and definitely reliable. If you guys can help me out I would really appreciate it, I don't really know a whole lot about turbos yet, but I am doing my best to get educated, and any help would be awesome. Thanks guys

AEM CAI
AEM Pulley

Custom Turbo Setup

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Doc! Have you checked this page?
http://www.i-m-racing.com/xsenturkitce.html
I think it`s a good kit, cos coming from XS and they not just selling the turbine and the pipes, but also the apexi in that price.
If you want really high boost and pass ~250HP, buy low comp. pistons (also rods recomended)from here:
http://monkeywrenchracing.com/wiseco_pistons_toyota_celica_gts_2zz_ge.html
They might have turbo kits as well.
Good luck!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
XS kit should be a decent one but it is for a GTS and will not go well on high boost, our stock MAF sensor sucks it will send crazy signal to the ECU when going past 5psi boost (why most kits are at 5psi wastgate setting). Though XS-Engineering kit will come with PowerFC preprogrammed, it will not work for high boost either because it uses stock sensors and our sensor is the problem.
Now taking turbo from older model Celica, you do have to do a custom manifold pippings. Our space for turbo manifold is way too limited (engine space is too small). You can use the turbo charger (if small enough to fit back there (should not be a problem), intercooler (if it has one) but thats about it. Add on parts is as follows: Pipping, manifold, downpipe, straightpipe, management system (for people who want to run above 5psi, and must have a replacement for MAF sensor or send stock signal to deceive stock ECU), oil pressure gauge, Emission Gas Temp gauge, boost controller, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Return Fuel Line, Bigger Injectors, and bigger fuel pump.
GTS require building bottom end of the engine.
Options: Boost gauge, Blow Off Valve.
These are essential parts to run right and safe, now I may have left out some things but I doubt it.
Its not a small project, should give it to someone who has modified a Celica before.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Oh! my comment on XS-Engineering kit is based on Apex Power-FC design right now which uses all stock sensor, thats why I said it will not go high boost. However if Apex make a PowerFC for XS that includes bigger MAF sensor it will work for high boost.
BTW this is why Blitz is keeping their kit under 5 psi, as well as every kit out there for Celica because of our stock MAF sucks.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Originally posted by thedoc092:
Hungster and Utkdawg, thanks for the info about turbo performance, I definitely am not gonna get one from them now, wow, I am really glad that I wrote that response in this post before I bought it...I would have so pissed off, the hell with turbo performance. What do guys think I should do? I really want a turbo, but I want one that is made by a well-known and trustworthy company, and definitely reliable. If you guys can help me out I would really appreciate it, I don't really know a whole lot about turbos yet, but I am doing my best to get educated, and any help would be awesome. Thanks guys
You are in NY, just so happens there is a reputable shop that did a MR2 at 400+HP. If you want go to www.newcelica.org [newcelica.org] go to Forced Induction Forum and find andrewmva, he can do a custom setup for ya.

Thanks a lot guys...for your help. Man I love this forum, you ask a question and you get a response so fast, Mike Lu, about how much will a custom turbo run me, and will I still have to replace the pistons, because I would like to run higher than 5psi, but if I can't, I would still be happy with the 5psi. And also, will going with the custom turbo setup be better than the XS one? I would imagine that it would, but I wanted to ask you just to make sure. Thanks again guys, you're the best. Peace.

AEM CAI
AEM Pulley

Custom Turbo Setup