Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Where did you connect the power for your reverse indiglo gauges?

Sorry, I know this has been talked about a lot before. I have searched the archives, but I'm not finding a consistent answer.

Some people say to go through the firewall and connect to the parking lights in the engine bay. Others say to connect to a wire under the dash. Others say to connect to the cigarette lighter. Others say NOT to connect to the cigarette lighter. Still others say to use a fuse tap. I'm confused!

I want to do this as simply and easily as possible without having to drill holes or string wires over long distances. I don't have other gauges or neons or anything. What's the easiest, yet reliable power source?

ECelica Staff
ECelica Staff
Simplest way to get power ...

Go to here, on page 2
https://celicahobby.com/tech/tsb2/ARTICLE_FUSEBLOCK_DIAGRAM.pdf

use a "add-a-fuse" (fuse tap) on Fuse #18 @ 5 amps

It's for the tail lights.

ThE iRoN mAiDeN
2003 Toyota Celica GT
ThE iRoN mAiDeN
2003 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by RicePowered
Simplest way to get power ...

Go to here, on page 2
https://celicahobby.com/tech/tsb2/ARTICLE_FUSEBLOCK_DIAGRAM.pdf

use a "add-a-fuse" (fuse tap) on Fuse #18 @ 5 amps

It's for the tail lights.

Don't think that would work, a fuse tap is always on unless you have a switch hooked to it. Its like taping right into the battery, its on when the car is on.

I want to be wrong about this, I went to the parking lights and I would much rather just do a tap.

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
I connected mine to my cig lighter, but you have to switch it on and off all the time. I think thats the easiest way thumbsup

I don't want the gauges to be on all the time, but I don't want to have to switch them on or off either. I just want them to come on automatically when the headlights come on.

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
I tapped into the headlights..through the firwall..its really not that hard.

Take out the battery and you will have easy access to the firewall..push a hanger through the gromet..and get it out from under the dash. Really is easy.

And if you dont want to cut the wire to the headlights..you can do what i did and just strip the wire at a certain point..no cut wire.

If you tap into the headlights like i did they will cut on when its dark or you can turn them on at the steering column.

Last edited by adamj5; Oct 17, 2003 9:06am.

2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
If you want them to come on with the headlights then your gonna have to go through the firewall and splice it into the headlight wire itself. It really isn't that hard at all. When I got my celi I had never done any kind of work on a car and my gauges were my first mod and I pulled it off great. I know if I did it then you can do it. thumbsup

ThE iRoN mAiDeN
2003 Toyota Celica GT
ThE iRoN mAiDeN
2003 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by adamj5
I tapped into the headlights..through the firwall..its really not that hard.

Take out the battery and you will have easy access to the firewall..push a hanger through the gromet..and get it out from under the dash. Really is easy.

And if you dont want to cut the wire to the headlights..you can do what i did and just strip the wire at a certain point..no cut wire.

If you tap into the headlights like i did they will cut on when its dark or you can turn them on at the steering column.

Thats what I did, all inside the car would be a faster install but I guess if it aint broke don't fix it.

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by Barrett
If you want them to come on with the headlights then your gonna have to go through the firewall and splice it into the headlight wire itself. It really isn't that hard at all. When I got my celi I had never done any kind of work on a car and my gauges were my first mod and I pulled it off great. I know if I did it then you can do it. thumbsup

I did the same thing, and I was in the same situation. Never did any type of wiring or installation work on a car before, but this was fairly easy.

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by Doppelganger
I don't want the gauges to be on all the time, but I don't want to have to switch them on or off either. I just want them to come on automatically when the headlights come on.

get a fuse tap and use it on this fuse. (top row, last one to the right)

your gauges will turn on whenever your lights turn on.

209028-fuse box.jpg

Last edited by Karrion28; Oct 17, 2003 11:18am.

Pimpin aint easy
03 Toyota Celica GT
Pimpin aint easy
03 Toyota Celica GT
Back from the dead. Oh shit the last post was on my B-day! Anyway, my gauges dont have a ground wire comming out if it but it does have the power inverter box. Does the box allow me not to have a ground wire or should it really have one?

Last edited by fonz182; Jun 13, 2004 1:27am.

Blue MnM
2003 Toyota Celica
Blue MnM
2003 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by fonz182
Back from the dead. Oh shit the last post was on my B-day! Anyway, my gauges dont have a ground wire comming out if it but it does have the power inverter box. Does the box allow me not to have a ground wire or should it really have one?
the ground wire IS on the inverter box gauges dont have a ground wire only a wire to connect it to the inverter thumbsup

2004 Subaru WRX
2004 Subaru WRX
tap into headlights, they will come on when the headlights come on, the red is hot and i believe the green is the ground, super easy, and you can mount the power control unit right behind your gauge assembly.

works great

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Wait back to this wire-tap thing. Are there different sizes or are they all the same.

Pimpin aint easy
03 Toyota Celica GT
Pimpin aint easy
03 Toyota Celica GT
Thanks for all the help. I guess the problem was i didnt know what exactly the ground wire was.
Oh btw does installing these and/or changing leds void any waranties?

Last edited by fonz182; Jun 13, 2004 11:25am.

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
what color is the wire you draw power from in the head lights

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
I tapped mine into the cigarette lighter. Everytime the headlights come on it comes on. It was an easy tap. Spliced the wires and used wire crimps to connect.

On the road to life there are drivers and passengers, Volkswagon. I just gave that person the finger for going so slow. Toyota For Life!!!!

Berraquísima!
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Berraquísima!
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by cosmo6
To power my gauges, I tried splicing the power wire into the existing wire harness. Works like a charm! No additional cost for a fuse tap, and the lights come on with the gauges and interior lights. I did buy the wire splice ($.99 for a box of 6). But then I didn't need any additional wire. I have a '02 GT and the green wire with the black stripe on the blue harness worked. I grounded the gauge overlay to a screw behind the gauge cluster, so I saved a lot of time by not running wires behind the dash or through the firewall. Installation took me roughly 30 minutes, mounting my switch took me another 10.
thumbsup

Hello there I'm new on this forum and I was searching info on how to install this indiglo gauge cluster. I found a tutorial but reading at all your comments I like the idea on wiring them to the headlights. My question and concern is do I need a resistance attached to the red wire???