Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#52106 Oct 8, 2:37pm

aight. i know i've bothered many people with the issue of self-painting the bodykit, but i need some recommendations on painting products.

Pro painters out there, please let me know what products you have used that worked well. (for body kits as well as center consoles) i'm taking satoshi's advice and so i'm going to paint my center consoles first to get some experience in painting.

i'm thinking white interior for my blue celica. what do you think? I personally enjoy high contrast in colors.

thanks man! this website is mad fun!

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
MOstly use PPG paints, primers and topcoats.
House of kolor makes some nice exotic finishes.

3M makes good masking products, rubbing compounds, polishing supplies, sandpapers and glaze

I use Meguiars Mirror glaze show car polish (#7) after painting until the paint has cured, it's paint-shop safe (which means it can be used between coats) and leaves no dust or residue. comes in a tan bottle, and ain't cheap, but must be used until the paint is cured (at least 4 months after painting). No wax, period! it will seal the pores of the finish, and won't allow it to dry properly if you do.

invest in a quality paint gun and compressor. I still reccommend PPG for your spray gun. practice on an old hood or something to get the feel for how it operates, and to get your coats looking perfect. I suggest you buy a book on auto painting to find out how to lay down primer paint and clear, as well as how to mix up your paint/reducer, etc. it will become invaluable. the automotive section at any large bookstore should have plenty of books on the subject, as well as your library.

Last edited by Rave669; Oct 8, 2003 3:40pm.

Rip the Jacker
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Rip the Jacker
2002 Toyota Celica GT
if ur still not sure on how to paint it, then just get a professional to do it, because its always better to be safe than sorry. especially when it comes to your car.

isaac and rave,

geez man. Thanks! you guys are awesome!

as far as the painting goes, i'm not afraid to mess up. Yeah i could mess up (some of you think that it is most likely to happen) but it doesn't really matter. I always like learning something new, and i know it always takes some failures. But i think it's unavoidable if you want to acheive skillz like these. I'm going to take these advices and go shopping tomorrow. How exciting!!!

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by hanshinji
as far as the painting goes, i'm not afraid to mess up. Yeah i could mess up (some of you think that it is most likely to happen) but it doesn't really matter. I always like learning something new, and i know it always takes some failures. But i think it's unavoidable if you want to acheive skillz like these.

I agree...I painted my side skirts and it was the first time I had ever painted anything on this scale. The side skirts didn't really come out as good as I hoped they would and I want to re-paint them, but it was fun painting them and I learned a lot doing so.

ok, i have removed my center console. i'm getting my testors tonight.

but i have a question about acrylic clear coat. Is it also a spray can, or do i have to brush them?