Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
First of all, don't mind my spelling, my right hand is disabled at the moment, makes it hard to type well. i need a few answers, one is simple, and the others are fairly complicated, any help anyone can provide would be great. here goes:

1.) is the celica an OBD 2 Car?

2.) how exactly does our speedometer work? im assuming it is a mesaure of voltage that connects to the gauge cluster.

3.) basically the same question as number 2, but about the tach. also, how exactly does a shift light know when to light up? im looking for the most technical information anyone can give...

thanks for any help you can give

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
don't know that i explained that all very well. but what i am getting to is i need to know where the speedo/tach signals come from and how to interperate the signal.

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
OK, let me try being a little more specfic. could someone scan in the install instructions for an after market tach? that might get me started, some tach install pics would be great.

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
what exactly are you doing???? This might be a bit rice but i wanted to use an OBD2 interface connected to a computer that reads your tach and advances a video loop based on your RPMs.

Simply put i wanted to display a stripper on an lcd and as you got closer to redline she would strip more and more based on your rpms.

kinda stupid way to waste good engine managment but i would still have access to all those nice OBD2 features.

But back to helping you...I think on one of the OBD2 software sites it has a list of compatible cars..do a search..ill try and find my old link.

ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
the stock speed / tach dont show correct value.
100mph in speed = 95mph in real

most accurate method is installing digital meter. it will read the pulse signal from ECU, and shows the correct value.

http://plaza.umin.ac.jp/~satoshi/modframeen.htm

click RSM and autogage tach

Satoshi from JAPAN

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
OK, im not quite getting the answers i am looking for here. i know if i told you all the application it would help, but i am trying to keep it a secret. but here is what i will do:

Anyone you can provide me with vital development information for this project i am working on will recive the new unit (if desired) at cost (right now in the neighborhood of ~ $150.00 or so. i am planning selling it for around $300. it all depends on the end product.

This is what i will tell you. it will involve a new Tach, like none you have ever seen. and a new speedo like none you have ever seen. along with other concepts you probably haven't even considered.

So this is what i need. I need to know what kind a signal the tach and speedo sensors send to the ECU. (ie: pulse, staight voltage... and so on) i need to know exactly what the volatges are. if i could find the schematic for an aftermarket tach i could probably pull it off. but any help anyone can provide will be great. the project is geared more towarded MT celicas, mainly the GT at first, but all it will require is a quick reprogram for the GTS. it will also work in a Auto Celica, but will be more Eye candy than a useful tool. i know this is all very vauge, but it is all i can give (i have to find a way to make money some way) i will also looking for people to "beta" test the product in the end, but that is a way off. thanks for your help

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
no takers?

2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
I just dont think any of us have messed with it or simply dont know... sorry

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
still, i will find the info i need, then develop the electronics... anyone near daytona want to test in in a few months?

2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
You know if you told everyone what it is you're trying to do, we could probably tell you how to do it, or if it's even possible, besides w/ the technical questions your asking I doubt anyone else will try and accoplish what your doing without an install guide, but nevertheless, goodluck thumbsup

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
'i already had most of it done, i just have to interface with the car. i will say this:

RACING DIGITAL HUD... interprate how you will

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
If you consider SC close, I'll test it. A HUD would be a nice feature, depending on what kind of readings it's going to show. Has potential also. You might be able to switch between speedo and air/fuel or something like that. Anyway, lemme know if ya need a test dummy.

[Linked Image]

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by XxMerlinxX
If you consider SC close, I'll test it. A HUD would be a nice feature, depending on what kind of readings it's going to show. Has potential also. You might be able to switch between speedo and air/fuel or something like that. Anyway, lemme know if ya need a test dummy.

EXACTLY! finally someone gets the point. where ya from? lets chat, it will take me a while to get this up and running the way i want it to, but since you are the first person to talk to me about it, PM me, i tell ya some more details.

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I live in Ft.Lauderdale, that's like 2-3 hrs from you in Daytona, if you're trying to make like a Digital tach and Spedometer, that's pretty cool! I'd love something like that, along with that digital fuel gauge we already have in celicas. And once i have the digital climate control that'll top it off, that is, IF that's what you're trying to accomplish. but as you said, you're looking for beta testers so if you want, I'm willing. I'll be your gineua pig

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I'm up for a test run, but i'm in NJ. As far as i'm getting from you, the design will give me a more exact reading from my speedometer and tach, and i'd love to have that, though i'm not sure on what comes out of the ecu to tell u. If you have some kind of voltage meter, you can hook it up to the ecu on the right wire and get what you are looking for.

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
With an OBD2 connector,a laptop, and the right software you can get every reading the ecu puts out...there is even free software on the net and guides to build your own OBD2 connector.

That is what i was gonna run mine off of...I would have full access to a digital tach,fuel/air,CEL codes and all...my idea was just for fun and I would never disregard the access to all those readings.

You could also connect this to a Palm or just about any other device with a serial connection.

I amdit it would be nice to have a device that connects without any other hardware...you might look into some of these freeware OBD2 softwares some are open source.

Hope that helps and good luck.

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
i may, but i think i will need the source code for the programs more than the programs themselves.

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
i did see one or two that were open source with complete source code avaliable...i think it was written in c/c#

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
thanks, if you come across any links, please let me know. i think you might have solved my biggest design problem.

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Tychs are based on difference operational amplifiers. like this. [allaboutcircuits.com] But I think modern cars put everything though computers that are non-standard embedded systems.

MAKE YOUR TIME