Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
I just bought ludz's 18 inch m-6's and I wanna polish it cause it has oxidization on it. ( thanx ludz grin) The problem is the chrome lip contains some type of clear coat on it. I cant polish it until I strip it off. It can come off, but not easily.. how can I remove the coating easily without sanding it or scratching the chrome? Or if I sand it then polish it, would the scratches still be there? does n e one k now what Im talkin bout? please help cry

ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
i'm not sure...but i do know...DO NOT SAND UR RIM!!!!!!! thumbsdown

ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
OK listen I used to polish wheels for a livin here are the steps and precautions. If the clear coat is not that bad sand it lightly with a 2000 grit with water then polish it out with polishing compound. If the clear coat is really bad then you will need to take these extreme steps.

You will need about a gallon of aircraft stripper *CAUTION* this stuff is very caustic and it will burn holes in yer flesh, You will also need access to a pressure washer, a few paint brushes, some good rubber gloves, a can of wd-40. And you'll need a good aluminum polish.

Are the wheel centers painted or powder coated? If they are... then be extremely careful to mask off where the rim outer meets the wheel centers and the centers also because if you get that stuff on any thing but where your working you are screwed.

If the entire wheel is polished and cleared you'll have to strip the whole thing.

1 Apply the stripper and let it set until the clear coat yellows and starts to bubble at that time hit it with the pressure (repeat if neccesary).

2 The finish will look really dull (your gonna think you messed up but don't sweat it) get yer polish and rub the work until the desired sheen is achieved

3 Spray the polished area with the wd-40 and rub it in (it breaks up the polish residue)

4 Wash the wheel with soap and water, dry it and there you go.

(do one wheel at a time)

Any questions pm me.

"They don't make no seatbelt for the mind. So I can't buckle up for this ride!"

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
good lookin out, great info man! im gonna start on that 2-night after work. 2000grit right? I hope I wont have to use that aircraft stripper. sounds really complicated. I dont think i'll have to though cause I can chip lil pieces off with my fingernails. Im just worried about scratchin the rim. its ony the lip and the inner part that i need to scrap. thanx a lot I really appreciate it thumbsup i'll let you know what happen. wave

oh yea, whats the best polish to use n.e way?

ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I use PRO R-50 aluminum and mag polish. Use very little pressure when sanding and scrape off or chip what you can. If you dont get all that clear off your gonna have a hell of a time polishing if it were me I'd strip them.

You might try hitting them with the pressure washer before you do anything I've seen 90% of a wheels clear coat just blast right off.

"They don't make no seatbelt for the mind. So I can't buckle up for this ride!"

ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
CID is the MAN! goodjob goodtimes thumbsup

[Linked Image]