Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

There are no instructions in TOYOTA's maintenance manual to bleed brake lines that I know of.

Due to persistent problems with air in brake lines after a complete bleed, I suggest the bro not to bleed out the system completely at one time, but pump out whatever old fluid in the reservoir you can and refill, then bleed out 1 or 2 ozs from each line each time you open up the brakes. After 2 bleeds, the system will be full of new brake fluid without risking adding air into the brake lines.

The GTS brake lines are cross fed. The correct sequence is REAR LEFT, FRONT RIGHT, REAR RIGHT and FRONT LEFT ( driver).

I can bleed brakes by myself by jacking up the tire 1 at a time, idling the engine to power the brake pump, pump the brake 5 times then hold down the brake pedal with a stick against the seat, then get to the brake line to bleed. Repeat pumping and bleeding each line 2 or 3 times to make sure no air is left. Repeat with other tires per sequence above.

GTS' brakes are smooth, grabbing linear, powerful, predictable, better than MBZ top of the line S600 or PORSCHE 911.

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
Hi,

Just got a new to me 2000 GTS with ABS/AT and I am having a problem with the pedal.
I just installed all new calipers, rotors and pads. LR was seized to the disc (still had some pad) and RR was metal to metal with hyper extended piston.
I can't even believe this guy was still driving the car.

I did a quick bleed on the caliper lines as I replaced them initially. I ended up using 5 bottles of DOT3 with a helper for the pedal. Fluid is completely new. Master is pretty new. I bench bled it and got 1 bubble on 1 output.
PO said brakes were always sketchy. ABS module is all that is left of original system. Hoses seem good with no bulges or leaks.
Hard lines are fairly clean and I see no leaks.

I saw that the sequence you use is different than my usual with other vehicles RR, LR, RF, LF. Can you tell me which output on the master is which?

The ABS module is really a concern for me as I'd like to use a tool to autobleed the ABS so I can see if the pump works properly and also see if I have any wheel sensor issues. I would spend $250 or so to get the right tool. I think this is what I may need.

I have done dozens of older car brakes, several with ABS and this one has me stumped. A couple local guys agree I may have a bubble in the ABS.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
H

88 VW Cabby, 82 280zx, 88 K1500, DD 07 Saab 9-3 2.0T

Rieter

The GTS brake lines are cross fed. The correct sequence is REAR LEFT, FRONT RIGHT, REAR RIGHT and FRONT LEFT ( driver). This cross feed bleeding sequence is documented in Honda's maintenance manuals for new Accords and Civics.

Not familiar with the ABS output lines, but this bleeding sequence had the ABS working like well. ABS would modulate the cylinders with the slightest tires skidding.

What does that mean "The GTS brake lines are cross fed" ? I tried looking up what it means and nothing comes up. It's not mentioned in any of the service manuals or online for that matter. I need to bleed my brakes and now more confused on the order to do it.