Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Hi Guys, my first post on here so I'm a newbie to this forum.
I've just bought a pair of welcome door projector LED's, for my U.K registered Celica, the doors don't have any kind of lighting on them at the moment that lights up when the doors open & was wondering where do I get the feed from so that the lights light up when the courtesy light comes on ?, I'm pretty good with electrics & not started to take a look yet, but wanted the info so I can be sure to finish the job without delays, any help really appreciated, cheers, Tony

2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
I would probably wire it to the dome light (after the switch if possible) that way you can control whether it comes on or not when you open the door and so it isn't on after you shut the door.

By 'Dome light' do you mean the courtesy light between. The visors ? If so that was my plan, but do the wires run into the passenger & drivers side kick panels where I can take a feed for them into the doors ? Cheers Tony

2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
From what I've researched, you can run your positive wire through the fuse for the dome (or courtesy) light to each of your doors, but you will have to run the negative wire from the switch of the courtesy light to make sure the lights shut off when they are supposed to. I'll leave a link to the thread where I found the information, but they recommend you replace the light between the sun visors with an LED before adding any more lights. http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=319504

Hope this helps
~Mike

Cheers Mike, so my understanding of this is that the gradual dimming of the Dome light is controlled through the ground wire rather than the live feed ? Is that correct ? Cheers Tony

Last edited by Jinxy1965; Sep 13, 2017 12:05am.

2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
That's my understanding, you could check by powering the lights through the fuse and holding the ground to your frame or another known ground just to check, but if it is through the ground you'll have to run the wire from the dome light smirk

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike for your reply, I spent around 3 hours yesterday on the car trying to logically think it all through with an illuminated electrical tester etc & I came away at the end of the day still scratching my head, ive never been able to grasp the concept of switched earths, probably because I think too logically :-) I.e normally Red = Live & Black = Earth/Ground ,anyway I have enlisted the help of an Auto electrician friend who's willing to do it for me providing I can put the projectors in the doors & run the cable into the cabin via the door trunking, small price to pay as that I have no problem doing, plus it'll be cheaper for me. I was going to use the hole saw to put a hole in the bottom of the actual door until I saw a boxed in section to the rear of the inner door panel which seems like an obvious place to put the light units, so I'm going to go with this. I will try & post a picture when its done, your help has been valuable to me thank you, even if you were the only one kind enough to comment, cheers, Tony

2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
Anytime man, I'm really interested to see how it turns out (I might do this to my celica someday). If you ever have any more projects that you need help on I've enjoyed discussing this and I'd be glad to try to help.

Best of luck, Cheers
Mike

Cheers Mike really appreciated, so far I've managed to get the projectors fixed into in each door and feed the extended wires through the rubber trunking from the door to the body ( that was a real pain in the a** !!) just waiting for an Auto electrician friend of mine to come round and do the hard wiring then I should be all set, will post pics when it's done 👍👍👍