Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#45172 Sep 16, 12:06pm
2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
I brought my 2000 GTS to the dealer to get the lift bolt replaced and in the process, they told me that my ignition coils were bent / arced. Has anyone experienced this problem and what replacement coils did you use? I am thinking of getting performance coils instead of the OEM Toyota coils. Any suggestions?

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
I do not konw how you can 'bend' an ignition coil. They may have been pulling your chain. Someone else back me up on this cause something sounds a little fishy.

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
yea get a second opinion

2001 Toyota Celica
2001 Toyota Celica
Yeah I had the same problem. After the run around I found out in order to replace the lift bolts all the coils were removed. I told the dealer that who ever removed them bent them. They replaced them free. Have had no problems.

2002 NIssan Altima 2.5S
2002 NIssan Altima 2.5S
I had one of my coils arch out on me but that was because I drive like a psycho and plus I have a backpressure problem and when it miss fired it arched my coil..I changed the plugs and it fixed it. idunno tell the dealer to go F-themselves!!! [Linked Image from celica.net]

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by celicababe00
I had one of my coils arch out on me but that was because I drive like a psycho and plus I have a backpressure problem and when it miss fired it arched my coil..I changed the plugs and it fixed it. idunno tell the dealer to go F-themselves!!! [Linked Image from celica.net]

This doesn't make since. Do you guys know this, or are the dealers telling you this? A coil is just an electric 'chip' type thing that receives info on when to fire the plug, and there is a rubber boot that the electric charge goes through. You cannot bend this. And changing your plugs won't rebend it back to normal if something was bent.
Maybe I'm just out of the loop and don't know what I'm talking about. But if someone can verify this from personal experience, not just from what the dealer says, please do. I used to be a mechanic and I've taken out the coils when I put my header on. Maybe they are different for the GTS than the GT, I don't know. Ahhh, school plus this is making my head hurt confused

ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
Originally Posted by Grand-Touring-Dan
Originally Posted by celicababe00

This doesn't make since. Do you guys know this, or are the dealers telling you this? A coil is just an electric 'chip' type thing that receives info on when to fire the plug, and there is a rubber boot that the electric charge goes through. You cannot bend this. And changing your plugs won't rebend it back to normal if something was bent.
Maybe I'm just out of the loop and don't know what I'm talking about. But if someone can verify this from personal experience, not just from what the dealer says, please do. I used to be a mechanic and I've taken out the coils when I put my header on. Maybe they are different for the GTS than the GT, I don't know. Ahhh, school plus this is making my head hurt confused

Nooo Dan ur definitely right? Someone is BSing u...Take it somewhere else confused

TeaQBD #45179 Sep 17, 11:26am
2002 NIssan Altima 2.5S
2002 NIssan Altima 2.5S
Mine was the actual boot that was arcing! It had a hole in it from backfiring. I took it out and it was all burnt to hell. The coils are the black boxces ontop but you have to buy the whol entire assembly when somthing breaks. If you call the dealership they call the whole thing a coil. I know what a coil is most likly they are telling him the boots are bad. But they dont recognize it as 2 seperate pieces. I should have added that I replaced the coil and the plugs and it fixed it. I was in a bit of a hurry bcuz it was lunch time sorry!

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Quote:
[b][i]idunno tell the dealer to go F-themselves!!! [Linked Image from celica.net] [/quote]

thumbsup

The coils also cost ~$80 a piece right (4*80 = $320 plus tax). What do you guys think?

TeaQBD #45181 Sep 17, 12:27pm
2002 NIssan Altima 2.5S
2002 NIssan Altima 2.5S
I would take them out and look at them yourself..If they look straight and they dont look all burned to sh*t then Iwould just check your plugs while they are out and tell the dealer to go F-themselves.