Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Hi everyone,

Just joined the forums, I'l be buying my first celica in few months, but I ran into a dilemma...

I checked pretty much every used car markets I could find accessible to me, and I ran into only one celica (atm) that sounds good. It's 2005 gt (t23). The car was used mainly for business purposes, the guy is first owner, kept everything done in official toyota repair place here in my country, visibly, the car is almost spotless (you can see he took good care of it), and about 10.000km ago, he had engine redone (again, in official toyota shop)... And this is where my dilemma starts. I did quite some research about celica, and I know about oil problems they have up to 2002', which is why I decided to go for 2003'+. When I saw that he had engine redone, just out of curiosity I asked him hows the oil usage even tho its 2005'. He said it uses about 200-300g of oil per change (about every 5000-6000km). But it sounds "fishy" to me that it uses that much oil, and that he had engine redone so close to the moment of him putting it up for sale (he says he's selling it due to business reasons requiring larger vehicle). Which is why I'm coming to you for advice since you guys ether have or had celica.

The price he is asking is well above average, but taking into account price for redone engine, the state its in, its year and mileage (163.000km), the price is adequate. Considering the high price and the fact that I plan on investing right from the start at least 2000e+ into it, I'm afraid of buying it like this due to risk of it having some serious oil problems (now or in the future). So, my question is:
Is 200-300g of oil usage per change something "normal" for celica of this year make (I remember kinda getting a feeling of celicas using a bit more oil by default over time while I was researching them), or is this car a potential oil disaster (typical for up to 2002' models)?

Ty for your answers.

2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
2002 Toyota Celica GT-S
The 2003+ models shouldn't have any oil consumption problems so that shouldn't be a problem with your celica. The earlier celicas could burn up to a quart per week if driven enough. Being that the engine was just redone that should be a pretty safe purchase, especially with as low of miles as it has on it