Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
Hi,

I have a T Sport with 135k on it, it drives fine and the CEL light is not on. However in 6 th gear if you roll on acceleration at about 40 mph it pings like crazy till it reaches 2300 rpm. It's done this a bit for a long time but it seems worse recently. The car burns no oil and seems fine in all other respects.

I try to avoid driving in this region but clearly something is wrong does anyone know how to diagnose what this issue is. It has always been serviced by Toyota so should have the right plugs etc.

I run on premium fuel either Shell V Power or BP Ultimax so it should not be the octain rating.

I see in diesel cars this is often the ERG valve, is that a likely issues in the
Celica ?

I have tried some injector cleaner as it's simple to try but it didn't help which is not much of a supprize as V Power should do that anyway.

Many thanks,
Andy

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
Since no one seems to have any suggestions. I looked a bit further the Celica does not seem to have an ERG it uses clean air injection to control emissions instead. This seems to be working correctly.

I disconnected the knock sensor to see if it was working. The car through a CEL and went into limp mode so the knock sensor is definitely working.

I tested the output of the knock sensor with an oscilloscope, the signal matches the response shown in the manual so it seems to be operating correctly.

I reconnected the sensor and bleated the CEL by resetting the ECU. The car works as before but the pinking noise is still present at 2000 to 2300 rpm. I can only assume that it is knocking despite full retard as the knock sensor is working or the noise just sounds like knocking and is actually something else.

I can't think of anything that would make this noise just under load, if it was timing chain or aux belt tensioner surely it would do it whatever the load. The only other possibility I can think of us the injectors as they would be enriching the mixture in this situation, but there are lots of situations where this would happen so why would it only rattle at 2000 rpm.

Andy

Looks like you are way overdriving the engine in 6 th gear if you roll on acceleration at about 40 mph it pings like crazy till it reaches 2300 rpm. The engine knocking is to be expected.

The 2ZZ engine on 6th gear should be run at or above 3000 RPM which should drive the car at 70 to 80 MPH.