Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

200 Toyota Celica GTS
200 Toyota Celica GTS
I have a 2000 GTS with 83k on the dash. I recently took a trip and had left my car parked behind a friend's apartment. After five days of it sitting, I finally drove it yesterday. Right off the bat I could tell something was up. Getting started in 1st was weird, like it didn't want to go. 1st through 3rd gear all seemed a bit odd to me, but I drove it home on the highway (for about 20 min) and it seemed fine, although I just had a bad feeling about it. I got off at my exit and stopped at the light, which is at a slight incline, let my foot off the brake and sure enough the car held. At this point it was obvious, something is wrong with my brakes. When I finally parked it (no more than 30 minutes driving the car total yesterday) I went all around the car looking at the brake calipers to try and figure out what was wrong. After very carefully touching the rotors and calipers to check their temperatures I determined that the driver's side front brake caliper is slightly seized. The car drives, but it will hold on a slight incline. If on flat ground I can still move the car with my foot (sitting in driver's seat, door open, pushing with left foot), albeit slightly more effort is needed compared to normal, so it seems it's only "slightly seized". I have a few questions about all of this:

1. Does the e-brake just engage the disc brakes?
2. If yes for number one, does it engage just the rear disc brakes, or all four wheels' brakes?
3. What's the easiest way for me to free my brake/caliper?

My biggest concern is that it's a part of the e-brake system, because then I have no idea what to do, and I'll probably need to take it to a shop. I'm very picky about who works on my car; I have a mechanic in my hometown about 2 hours away that does all the work on all my cars. I really don't want to drive it that far to fix this (and I don't trust any mechanic in my city), so I'm hoping there's something I can do, even if it's a temp fix, just so I can drive it a few hundred more miles before I permanently fix for it.

200 Toyota Celica GTS
200 Toyota Celica GTS
Update

Sorry for the double post.

After more research it seems the front brakes are not involved with the e brake mechanisms. This is good as it tells me the issue is more contained (at least I think it's good), and probably just related to the calipers or the pads themselves; possibly the rotor? Anyway...

I took the wheel off today and it definitely looks like the pads are touching the rotor. Unfortunately I don't have the tools to take it down and further, but I think I can borrow some from a friend. Assuming I can get the calipers off, does anyone have any ideas as to what I might need to do/what the problem might be?
20170427_200228~2.jpg 20170427_200208~2.jpg