Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Hey guys, complete wiring newbie here.
To try and keep this simple I'm trying to figure out if I can install a second-hand 2din dnx5120 HU with gps without cutting in to my factory harnesses(if that's even possible). My main goal is to keep the factory amp(don't mind bypassing if it's the only route possible) and factory speakers since they seem to do their job quite well with the factory HU atleast... I'm all about keeping it as clean as possible incase I suddenly need to switch back to my factory HU.

Basically all I know is behind my factory HU is 1 white plug and 2 weird rca-aux hybrid-like looking plugs. And behind the glove box is our 00-02 rage-inducing amp..haven't looked back there myself yet but I hear that there's a big plug(biggest of 3?) back there which is what I THINK is my speaker harness. From what I heard this is the plug I need a harness plug adapter to bypass the amp without cutting into factory harnesses.

I've read through comments and threads and heard there's a Isuzu rodeo harness that may plug and play to my speaker harness which I could then fish the other end back up to my HU mount area and wire that straight in to the dnx5120's 22 pin power plug harness to utilize the HU's built in amp. Does that sound like it would work or make sense? And what/where and what year is this Isuzu rodeo harness and plug adapter from?!? Is the Scosche TA(I could be mistaken here) series I've read about on the forums a similar mod?

Amp related: what are these ressistors and filter-things I've read about on the forums for the amp so speakers and tweeters(I think) keep their quality. I believes it's related high output aftermarket HUs produce? I'll try to link the thread or find what they're called if nobody knows/remembers.

I've also heard of the metra 70-8113 adapter which instead utilize the external factory amp and speakers (though I hear it makes the back speakers and bass and quality in 00-02 models intermittent. Anyone know why?). from what I can see in pics it only has 4 rca plugs and like 6-8 wires when my dnx HU harness plug has 6rca port, 18 wires and 22 pins? So I don't understand how it would even power up the dnx HU or atleast all the accessories. Am I missing somthing here? (I'm a newbie remember?).

Thanks for reading the thread. Maybe we can drop all our advice and related links here so we can finally figure out a clean way to hook these head units up!

Anyone know what this does?schosche ta03b:
http://www.scosche.com/2000-up-toyota-interface

Anyone with knowledge of 00-02 premium Audio have any experience with the scosche TA02 TA03 and 04? Which is most compatible between 00-02 premium audio plugs/harnesses?
IMG_0203.PNG IMG_0205.PNG IMG_0204.PNG

Pics attached are all from the factory/stock unit. Trying to figure out how I can upload a pic of the back of my DNX5120 (files too big) to see if any of you guys could work your magic and help me figure out how it's gonna work. (First time doing this). I did come across some helpful images on good old googz but can't copy links because it won't let do it on my phone. "Kenwood dnx5120 wiring" images 2 and 3.

Anyone have any links to 00-02 gts audio wiring labels /diagrams? Trying to figure out which wires do what on my factory HU plug/harness and how the audio system works in general. Sorry for bombarding the thread with comments.

Here's the wiring info for the dnx5120:
IMG_0208.PNG

Last edited by MJ00GTS; Apr 17, 2017 3:03am.