Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to celicahobby, actually I've been looking at Celica stuff through here but just now created at account! Very nice site. I have an 02 GT-S Automatic at 157k miles. I want to start off by saying that I am not too knowledgeable when it comes to the specifics of an engine so any illustrations of parts to be discussed will be much appreciated.

The car runs fine but ever since I switched my cold air intake to a short ram intake, about three months ago this problem happen about 5 times: I would start the car, it starts but then turn off if I don't press on the throttle to keep it alive. After 5 mins of playing with throttle on neutral to keep it running, it would stay on but would be way below 1k RPM, and it would constantly bounce at 500 to 1k (at a rate of once per second) basically trying to keep itself running rather than zero-ing out and turning off.

This is actually how I would drive it, a mix of drive and neutral as if I leave it on drive, the car would turn off if I stop. So I drive it normally and when I approach a stop light/sign, I would throw it in neutral so it goes it's bouncing idle thing. While this is happening, I do notice a loss in power, it takes a long time for it to reach 50, and the sound isn't the same (aftermarket exhaust). This problem would continue while driving but twice out of the five times it happened, the problem disappears before I get to my destination.

Here are a couple of photos:
[Linked Image from s8.postimg.org] [postimg.org]

[Linked Image from s8.postimg.org]
[postimg.org]

Also, today changed my spark plugs, as it was suggested by a friend of mine; we noticed a hairline crack on the stem of one of igniter packs (I believe that's what he referred to them as, the part that goes on top of the spark plug). Since we just changed the spark plugs, I was advised to see if the CEL for misfire turns on once again and if so, it may be the igniter pack rather than the spark plugs triggering that code. Lastly, I noticed that (reference 3rd photo), there is a missing plug that sits in between the throttle and air filter, very front of the engine on the right side. So we found a plug to cover it. Could that be the cause of the other evaporation-related CEL's or that has nothing to do with it? Thank you in advance!!! -AJ

When I click photo 3, a different photo comes up, here it is once again