Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Hello all,

Can anyone help me to shed any light on how to check a Denso Coil pack for a 2001 Toyota Celica VVTi?

A bit of background to my problem. My back-box on my exhaust was blowing and before I got chance to get it fixed my car started with a Cylinder 1 Misfire, diagnosed with and ODBII scanner. I got the back-box fixed at a garage L260 - it needed replacing BUT this still seemed expensive but I was not in a position to shop around as the car was really struggling and I needed it.

The replacement of the back-box did not solve the problem (as I now know after researching). I replaced the spark plugs as they were due to be changed and looked like they needed changing. This did not fix the problem BUT the ODBII scanner now reported that the misfire was on cylinder 3. At this point it occurred to me that I had not taken much notice of which coil pack went on which spark plug, so this immediately suggested that the coil pack was the problem. Sure enough I changed the suspected faulty coil pack from 3 to Cylinder 2, cleared the CEL and now the ODBII scanner is saying that the misfire is on Cylinder 2.

As I was not 100% certain that this was the issue I bought a used replacement coil pack from eBay for 10% of the price a new one would have cost me BUT this has not solved the problem. After more switching of the coil packs it still suggests that this is the problem and that the replacement coil is also faulty BUT I don't know how to check this? I have seen tutorials the web on how to check a coil pack with a multimeter BUT they dont seem to be for the same type of coil pack used on this car.

Can anyone tell me how to check the coil pack OR suggest any other thoughts on possible issues?

Thanks in advance
dazmaul

Update:

After playing around and considering whether to buy a brand new coil pack. I moved the suspected faulty coil to Cylinder 1 and the ODBII reader is displaying the P0302 error code - for Cylinder 2 still.

So it can't be the coil in my opinion.

I am thinking that it might be the valve cover gasket that needs replacing?

Does anyone have any opinions on what else could be causing the misfire? OR steps on how to diagnose what is causing the misfire?

Pulling my hair out!

Im having the same issue with my 01 Celica gt automatic. Haven't figured it out myself yet. Best of luck.

Try spraying all electrical contacts in connectors into the coil at cyl 2 with contact cleaner, even blowing debris out with compressed air or brush them.

If that does not work, look for any damages to the ignition wire to cyl 2 and repair them.

Aftermarket coils with so-called life-time warranties usually die after 3000 to 5000 miles.

This RK PREMIUM coil costs only about $30 and lasted 1 year so far:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/rk_premium?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Good luck

This RK_PREMIUM coil is now about $16 with life-time warranty. Mine lasted over 1 year so far.

There is also a BOSCH -JAPAN coil for about $20 with 1-year warranty. I will order this BOSCH to see if it's any good.

Originally Posted by CAPTAINSOLO
This RK PREMIUM coil costs only about $30 and lasted 1 year so far:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/rk_premium?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Good luck