Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#449181 Feb 20, 12:35pm
hey quick question does anyone know if there is a diffrence in acceleration because of how many gears there are? my car has 4 gears its an automatic and its a gts.. i figured since it has less gears it takes longer to accelerate because they are bigger gears i guess? and a 6 speed would be faster because they are smaller gears yet have more for low rpms? im asking because my car is slow as hell lol..

JJ3
To start,automatics,they tend to be slow as hell,there is a lot of lost power. The reason it is a 4spd auto is because it is meant for fuel economy,it may be a spoty model but an automatic is made for highway cruising and getting the most mpg's,not racing around a track. To validate your thinking,yep a 6 spd has tighter ratios enabling much much quicker acceleration but usually that 6th gear is meant for the highway and a low rpm cruising speed,but you will go thru 1 2 and 3 real quick. You line up against a 6spd version of your ride with the same mods and it will blow you away,but,you will spend a lot less money at the pump going to and from grandmas house. So,as an older guy now at 38 I can say this...kids,if ya want to go fast,do not get an automatic,and do not get one thinking you will swap in a manual because the time,energy and cost will make that dream never come true.