Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

How I was able to stop the excessive oil consumption on my 00 GT
First a little history.

Back in November I decided to get a used car that got decent mileage. My Tacoma double cab 4x v6 is a pig. I always like the Celica so I started looking around and found a clean GT at a dealer in Huntington beach. I went down and drove it and bought it. It used 3/4 qt of oil on the 130 mile trip home. I was pissed :walker: But I had bought it "as is" so I decided to make the best of it. I did a lot of research (much of it on this site) and did multiple things to clean up the rings.
B-12 = Berrymann B-12 Chemtool. MMO = Marvel Mystery Oil.
Seafoam = Seafoam Green Solvent
Disclaimer.
I'm not telling you that you should do this to your car! The following is what I did to my own car at my own risk. I'm not responsible if you damage your car or burn your house / garage down. NEVER PUT ANY SOLVENT INTO A WARM CRANKCASE! Berryman B-12 is highly flammable, has a very low boiling point and NOT recommended for the crankcase. Be sure the engine is cool and put the oil cap on, ensure the pcv valve is working correctly so the fumes go into the intake as the engine warms up. I donct know if B-12 will attack and damage your seals and gaskets. Again, Itcs your risk. If you put fluid into the plug holes and turn the engine over it will spray everywhere possibly causing a fire or getting on your skin and eyes. If the plugs are in it may hydro-lock the engine and could do serious damage to your engine (bent rods). I put the car in gear and gently pushed it to turn the engine over (Ignition off). I did not drive the car with b-12 in the crankcase. Just let it idle.

Here is what I did and my perceived result
1. Seafoam in the intake I wasnct impressed
2. B12 in the intake Still no noticeable result
3. B12 in the cylinders via the plug holes overnight, then blown thru the rings with a leak down gauge followed by 30 min run at 1k rpm. OMG! The oil was clean and now it is black! Fresh oil change (Castrol GTX 10-30 High Mileage) and a Qt of MMO in the crankcase. Drove to Vegas and burned a qt in 250 miles. Topped up with Castrol GTX 10-30 High Mileage and drove home used 0 oil.
4. Kept an eye on it and drove 700 more miles with intermittent consumption, dumped half a can on B-12 in the crankcase and idled it for 20 min and changed the oil again.
5. At 1200 miles on this oil change, I had used 1/2 qt of oil. I B-12ed it again. The oil was light brown and came out black again (carbon and gum from combustion and neglected oil changes. I'll update but I have seen a significant improvement in consumption.

I have probably spent $125 on oil changes and additives and will likely change the oil whenever it begins to turn brown for the life of the car.

sounds good. keep up the update. thanks

JJ3
I actually had this issue with a previous car and lucky me,my 02 gt 5spd has this thirsty for oil problem as well. Some guys have all the luck eh...and I bought it aware there was some issue but it is a bit more than a small issue,enough of a problem I always keep a quart in the back seat. It isnt real bad yet but I need to adress the problem,and last summer I emailed Eric Hsu at Import Tuner mag,if you dont know,this guy knows his stuff. He responded to my issue of blowin smoke/drinking oil and covered the probable task of replacing the rings which is what my last car required,the response is in the october of 2012 issue in case anybody out there has it. And much like my last car it is not an easy job and one that I am leaning strongly towrd letting a professional tackle even tho it will cost mabye half a kidney. In the end this is something that should be handled by a pro even tho I really want to do it myself. As for the creative try above by Weezy for a quick and cheap fix,I am definately curious how this plays out but these tend to have unhappy endings but as somebody that will have to have this repair done again on another car i own I would love for there to be a cheap trick,but I have a hard time bein optimistic,but hey,ya never know...?

I'm super late like 18 years by my new 02 gt auto. Its a handle down so I dgaf. I had a 86 supra auto pos, 87 turbo targa 5 speed that got its life cut too short, a 93 sc300 that went threw 2 tranny s because snow drive in the northeast until the engine popped at 260×××, 98 4cyc camry handmedown that i killed in 3wks and now that I'm older this toyota just kept coming to call my name. I got with 174970.front driver shock and spring eqss replaced by my uncle. He had the other shock but no spring..so I change it and had to cut both downloads because they put Allen holes for what the f...both ran me 50..dont judge me .the spring was broke on the passenger so I just cut the driver same legnth..cross my finger...the exhaust was loud at the manifold and the resonator..I replaced the cat and resonator 200. She had 4 codes when I got last months.0171, 0440 441 446. I guess the exhaust took care of the lean code.check 3 codes left. This whole time the belt squeak..the brakes in the rear drum hisses. I'm like wth.i bleed the power steering..blah..I bleed the brakes blah..broke the bleeder on the last driver side...tried to tap it out then just tapped out and paid 60 for a new caliper...replied but before the passenger cyclinder sprung and leaked but I said fuck it earlier and didn't replace it..finished bleeding 1 round and I still heard hissing from driver side...inspect and braked then fluid came out mf...replaced shoes first, bleed, replaced left then right and right got stuck with bolt and cyclinder...f it.. cut it at the metal line and new bolt and rented flare tool..bleed and fine....took the muffler off at 3 codes after erasing it 1 then all 4 came back...did a cheap cai so my tiny tube to the intake wasn't plugged for a while..fast forward to today...muffler still off because of the canister and vsv ..didn't replace them..just banged on the switch to work and I like the sounds she makes no muffler...so new shocks up front. New shoes in the rear. New links in the front. New cai. New cat and res. New valve gasket. Just finished intake manifold gasket and throttle..I'm gonna change the oil n filter and plugs and coil after I marvel mmo because the intake manifold was filthy likely leaking..I wanna know how I should go about it..mmo in the engine and gas tank? Or soak in the spark plug gap..? Or all three...I'm not trying to do 2 oil changes back to back..I'm confident I could rip apart the engine and replace the rings but I don't wanna spend too much more yet..o yea headlights and tail lights..fogs...it came with the package..wing fogs sunroof...blah...I've been reading a lot and I finally decided to ask for all advice ..I'll post pics upon request.