New Reply
Print Thread
WeezinGeezer
WeezinGeezer Feb 4, 12:26am - #449146 

Ridgecrest California
1ZZ oil consumption fixed for $125.00

How I was able to stop the excessive oil consumption on my 00 GT
First a little history.

Back in November I decided to get a used car that got decent mileage. My Tacoma double cab 4x v6 is a pig. I always like the Celica so I started looking around and found a clean GT at a dealer in Huntington beach. I went down and drove it and bought it. It used 3/4 qt of oil on the 130 mile trip home. I was pissed :walker: But I had bought it "as is" so I decided to make the best of it. I did a lot of research (much of it on this site) and did multiple things to clean up the rings.
B-12 = Berrymann B-12 Chemtool. MMO = Marvel Mystery Oil.
Seafoam = Seafoam Green Solvent
Disclaimer.
I'm not telling you that you should do this to your car! The following is what I did to my own car at my own risk. I'm not responsible if you damage your car or burn your house / garage down. NEVER PUT ANY SOLVENT INTO A WARM CRANKCASE! Berryman B-12 is highly flammable, has a very low boiling point and NOT recommended for the crankcase. Be sure the engine is cool and put the oil cap on, ensure the pcv valve is working correctly so the fumes go into the Intake as the engine warms up. I donct know if B-12 will attack and damage your seals and gaskets. Again, Itcs your risk. If you put fluid into the plug holes and turn the engine over it will spray everywhere possibly causing a fire or getting on your skin and eyes. If the plugs are in it may hydro-lock the engine and could do serious damage to your engine (bent rods). I put the car in gear and gently pushed it to turn the engine over (Ignition off). I did not drive the car with b-12 in the crankcase. Just let it idle.

Here is what I did and my perceived result
1. Seafoam in the Intake I wasnct impressed
2. B12 in the Intake Still no noticeable result
3. B12 in the cylinders via the plug holes overnight, then blown thru the rings with a leak down gauge followed by 30 min run at 1k rpm. OMG! The oil was clean and now it is black! Fresh oil change (Castrol GTX 10-30 High Mileage) and a Qt of MMO in the crankcase. Drove to Vegas and burned a qt in 250 miles. Topped up with Castrol GTX 10-30 High Mileage and drove home used 0 oil.
4. Kept an eye on it and drove 700 more miles with intermittent consumption, dumped half a can on B-12 in the crankcase and idled it for 20 min and changed the oil again.
5. At 1200 miles on this oil change, I had used 1/2 qt of oil. I B-12ed it again. The oil was light brown and came out black again (carbon and gum from combustion and neglected oil changes. I'll update but I have seen a significant improvement in consumption.

I have probably spent $125 on oil changes and additives and will likely change the oil whenever it begins to turn brown for the life of the car.
Alexswi
Alexswi Feb 4, 7:43am - #449147 

CA
sounds good. keep up the update. thanks
JJ3
JJ3 Feb 28, 8:25am - #449193 

Wadsworth Ohio
I actually had this issue with a previous car and lucky me,my 02 gt 5spd has this thirsty for oil problem as well. Some guys have all the luck eh...and I bought it aware there was some issue but it is a bit more than a small issue,enough of a problem I always keep a quart in the back seat. It isnt real bad yet but I need to adress the problem,and last summer I emailed Eric Hsu at Import Tuner mag,if you dont know,this guy knows his stuff. He responded to my issue of blowin smoke/drinking oil and covered the probable task of replacing the rings which is what my last car required,the response is in the october of 2012 issue in case anybody out there has it. And much like my last car it is not an easy job and one that I am leaning strongly towrd letting a professional tackle even tho it will cost mabye half a kidney. In the end this is something that should be handled by a pro even tho I really want to do it myself. As for the creative try above by Weezy for a quick and cheap fix,I am definately curious how this plays out but these tend to have unhappy endings but as somebody that will have to have this repair done again on another car i own I would love for there to be a cheap trick,but I have a hard time bein optimistic,but hey,ya never know...?