Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

Hey Everyone,

I could really use all your help guys smile I have a 2000 Toyota Celica GTS manual and after it warms up it begins to bog, idle rough and even stall. The car even shakes (the tachometer is jumping up and down at a range of 100-500 rpm) when slightly pushing on the gas petal, or when im decelerating. Even when I give it a lot of gas it still hesitates and is kinda jerky (hum cant think of a better word to use). When Im at a light I have to rev the engine to prevent it from stalling. I just installed a new mass air sensor and the issue persists. I also added premium 91 octane fuel and the problem has not gotten better... All of these issues ONLY occur AFTER I have been driving for 10-15 minutes (when the temp gauge ticks up two notches) and does not go away until i stop and let the car cool down for an hour. Please help smile

Thank you ALL!

I had a similar problem with my 2004 celica gts, it could be the vacumm swithching purge valve (attachs to the air box, not the one by the gas tank). Non of the auto parts stores in America have this item, if they do, that means they only sell you the one by the gas tank. Ask Toyota dealer to order it from japan. The part costs about $100 including tax, shipment. Hope this will be another way to solve your problem. Auto parts store will have the one called "vacumm switching valve" make sure you don't buy the wrong stuff. type in google images "celica purge valve" and take that picture to toyota dealer. It takes 1 minutes to install this thing buy yourself

Thanks for the info. So i started researching the purge valve and it seems I had the blue connector plugged into the purge valve instead of the black one (and i read that the black one is the right connector... the problem is... the black connector was just dangling, and for the life of me I cannot seem to figure out where the blue one should connect to, see pic below) My thoughts were perhaps its no longer used because of the CAI thats installed? I doubt this is the only problem, but if it is just a connector issue, i dont want to waste any more time with something so simple.

As i stated before, the car runs great initially, but AFTER its warmed up, it gets really jerky when i lightly hit the gas petal or take my foot off the gas petal, plus the car stalls when in idle.

[Linked Image from lh6.googleusercontent.com]

[Linked Image from lh4.googleusercontent.com]

So it won't hurt the car is the blue one is bt connected to anything?