Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#445011 Apr 18, 8:30am
2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
Ive gotten a few nicks in the paint job on my hood thanks to the idiots that carry rocks in the back of pickup trucks angry. One has gone past the primer and has started to rust, any suggestions on fixing this myself or is it basically something i gotta run into a shop for? any help would be apprecaited

thanks

M

April Fools
2000 Toyota Celica
April Fools
2000 Toyota Celica
if it wasn't starting to rust i would say to just take a paintbrush and fill in the hole with primer and paint.. but i dunno about the rust... don't think you want to be painting over that...

but for future reference... back waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off from those trucks carrying rocks... even if they're going SUPER slow it's better than getting chips in your car... same goes for if you get behind a rollback with wrecked cars on it... i don't care how careful they are about tieing things down... stuff can fly off... my dad told me to NEVER stay behind one of those...

shamelessly addicted to ecelica
[Linked Image]

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
it was a pickup truck and i didnt realize it was hauling pebbles until i starting hearing "TINKS" on my windshield and then i back way off but by then the damage was done:( nothing i could do i pretty much got blindsided by it cause i couldent see what the truck was carring hauling butt down the freeway. but thanks for the tip i suppose i could do that on the spots that arent past the primer yet.

M

Yoda Master
Yoda Master
i say, if the rust isn't in like right smack dab in the center of the hood, then sand it down the prime and paint it, toyota sells touch up paint

or you could think of this as a blessing in disguise and buy a carbon fiber hood thumbsup

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
its not in the middle but its close frown

Yoda Master
Yoda Master
maybe you can get a small sanding thing and sand it out then use touch up paint.
try post a pic so we can get a better idea of where it's at

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
okay heres a picture i took of the rusted spot
1953579847-Celica Hood 002.jpg

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
while im at it is there anything i can do about this... been riding with it basically since i bought it... some idiot backed up into my door while i was parked ... hasent been too bad but does get annoying
1953579852-Celica Hood 010.jpg

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
The best thing to do about rust is to completely get rid of it using a pen knife and just sort of scrape it out. It may look like your scratching up the metal but since your filling it in and bringing it flush the little extra you pulled off won't matter. But it will get the rust out and prevent it from getting worse underneath your fix.

2005 Toyota Tacoma XRunner
Originally Posted by Maniak
Ive gotten a few nicks in the paint job on my hood thanks to the idiots that carry rocks in the back of pickup trucks angry. One has gone past the primer and has started to rust, any suggestions on fixing this myself or is it basically something i gotta run into a shop for? any help would be apprecaited

thanks

M
Get one of these
http://www.autovisuals.com/index.asp
they got every color you can imagine..I got one for my 05 XRunner and color matches perfect..I fixeda few chips on my hood and i really have a hard time finding where they where before...it works nice

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
So if i scraped out the rust do i touch up the primer then paint it with the new coat or do i just paint strait away over the metal?

thanks for the help guys:)

Yoda Master
Yoda Master
Originally Posted by Vaqusis
The best thing to do about rust is to completely get rid of it using a pen knife and just sort of scrape it out. It may look like your scratching up the metal but since your filling it in and bringing it flush the little extra you pulled off won't matter. But it will get the rust out and prevent it from getting worse underneath your fix.

i was gonna say that, and for the dent, you can buy pop-a-dent, it's only like $20 and works for not so big dents. should work for yours

Yoda Master
Yoda Master
Originally Posted by 05XRunner
Originally Posted by Maniak

thanks

M
Get one of these
they got every color you can imagine..I got one for my 05 XRunner and color matches perfect..I fixeda few chips on my hood and i really have a hard time finding where they where before...it works nice
got any discount codes grin

M [/quote]
Get one of these
they got every color you can imagine..I got one for my 05 XRunner and color matches perfect..I fixeda few chips on my hood and i really have a hard time finding where they where before...it works nice [/quote]
got any discount codes grin [/quote]

Sorry no...I paid 16.99 for it
I also got the toyota factory touch up paint from toyota and the color didnt even match...WTF how can toyota mess up their own color...LOL the Autovisual pen was a perfect match to my speedway blue..plus its easy cause the tip is hard and not a brush so you can dab the chip and just layer it and you cant even see it..Unlike using a brush wich makes a mess