So I'm sure many of you have seen the name "Hass Auto" popping up every now and then throughout these forums. They are well known to the other users of the 1zzfe engine...the MR2. They have been producing kits for a few years now for the MR2 and have received great satisfaction from their customer service and high quality products that they produce. Jay Hass has been building turbo kits for a longggg time now and his main fabricator, Jon Volk may have had the first boosted 1zzfe on his MR2 and is still holds one of the top 1/4 mile times among the 1zzfe community.
Anyways, I had spoken to them about a yr and some ago about potentially creating a custom turbo kit for me and potentially being sponsored by them. They had just moved into their new building and were very hectic so that plan kind of got pushed aside and I went ahead and bought the SF kit. While I had the SF kit, aerowilson I believe had posted about Hass making a manifold and other goodies for the 1zzfe. I went to their page and saw that they were making custom injectors for our cars. I was upgrading my fuel system and had already bought the PFC, fuel pump, datalogit, and was searching for injectors so I contacted him about them.
One thing lead to another and I decided to sell my SF kit in order for Hass Auto to take my car and prototype a kit on it. Me and Hass Auto worked together to try and solve every problem that has occurred in the past to boosted celica owners. Me, being a previous SF kit owner had 1st hand knowledge of some of the problems I had to overcome. I also took my knowledge of different problems from these boards and relayed them to Jay in hopes that they could build the perfect kit for the celica.
Well, the kit is coming out perfect so far! Some of the main features of the kit that were worked on to solve boosted celica problems are the following.
1. A brace for the turbo manifold is being created as we speak. Everyone knows that the stress and heavy manifold causes most people to have an exhaust leak.
2. A flexpipe will be included on the downpipe. Just like their MR2 kit, they believe no kit should come without a flexpipe.
3. The intercooler piping will be beaded at the end to prevent piping from blowing off under boost. To secure the intercooler piping even further, they will be using T-Clamps and 4 ply nomex couplers. I know first hand that 2 pipes on the SF kit seemed to enjoy blowing off on me. I also noticed that many people on this board think their turbo is dead because they feel no boost...then finally figure out an intercooler pipe came off.
4. Fitment issues. On the SF Kit, I had two problems with fitment that I had to work with. We tried to make a fitment issue a non issue. On the SF kit, it seemed as if the piping ran dangerously close sometimes to the pulley. Also, piping didn't run around the frame of the car going to the intercooler flush, you kind of had to jam it in around there. As you can see in the pics below, the pipes will smoothly go around the black parts that stick out going to the intercooler with plenty of clearance room to work with.
5. Gaskets, I think 3...(one for the head to manifold, one for the turbine inlet, and a discharge gasket.
6. It will include EVERYTHING needed to get your car up and running, and when I say everything I mean everything. It will include a new Oil Filter
(K&N or Mobil 1), 1 step colder spark plugs, tube of rtv sealant for the oil pan, zip ties, electrical connectors, etc. It will also include a Boost Gauge!!
Other big features of this kit are
1. It will be using a REAL garrett GT dual ball bearing turbo. They tried different ones on my car and the latest one on right now is the GT2871. I am not sure if that is the final turbo that will be included.
2. Stainless Steal tubular thick walled manifold.
3. Blackstone high density intercooler core with cast alluminum end tanks.
There will be many many options available for the kit also which I will most likely go into once I find out more details.
I know they made a fuel rail for the car, and I believe the kit will include upgraded injectors (380cc). I am not sure if these are options or will be included in the kit. I think if anything, the injectors will be included, but the fuel rail will be an option.
The kit will come with an e-manage. Jay Hass is one of the best tuners when it comes to the E-Manage, ask any MR2 boosting with his maps.
I will post more when I have more define details of what will be included in the kit. At this time though, the car is still being tweaked on. My car has been there since the very beg of Jan, and they have been working to perfect it since. Right now I believe it will be dyno tuned at the end of this week, the taken apart one last time to be tweaked a lil more and powdercoated/jet coated.
Oh, and the price will be around $3895-$3995. Not sure when it finally go into production...hence why this is just a sneak peak.
I have included some pics from the production stages of the kit. I remind you, these are work in progress pics and not how the final kit will look
. The final kit will look much shinier, welds will be smooth and bling bling factor will go up...haha:chuckles:
Any questions you have, post them and I will try to answer them, but once again. I don't have all the details to the kit and things in this post may change, but that's everything to my knowledge at the time. Hope you guys enjoy this as much as I do!!
Oh, and one more thing...lets not make this into a turbo kit argument please. If i said anything that makes you feel I downed another kit (which I hope you don't feel since I know both the other kits are impressive in their own ways), please PM me, and if I feel that I really did down another kit not on purpose, I will edit my post. Thanks!
This is an example of their jet coating which will be an option available also.