Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#4283 Feb 19, 4:25am
anyone own an air/fuel controller? if so, is it worth buying after getting intake, or is it a rip off? also, can it be used in conjunction with a boost controller if a turbo is installed later? thanks grin

//2k3 zephBlue celica

you can get a few hp from it if tuned correctly, which i havent done yet. i plan on going to the dyno next month to see where my cars stands and get that tuned. only problem is that the computer resets it so once you get it right, you'll have to jot down the settings and put them in again when you want to. its easy but a hassle

with my s-afc i gained 8 hp and bout 7 ft-lbs of torque all around. i gained 30 ft-lbs of torque at 3000 rpm.

17 Enkei RS6 w/ Paradas, Rod Millen intake, TRD exhaust, Eibach Sportline Springs, clear corners, UR crank pulley, ACT Clutch, your girlfriend in the passenger seat.

they only got like 2 on a wrx on one of the tests i've seen. but i havent really searched. what settings did you use??

2003 Toyota Celica
2003 Toyota Celica
8 hp?! im impressed! do you have dyno sheets? im thinking of getting one soon but i dont know if it's going to be worth it..and there's an Apex garage sale this coming march 7th..there should be a lot of cheap items for sale..one more thing, i heard split second a/f controllers are better than apex's..so, i dont know..guess, i have to do my research grin

ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
ECelica Staff
2001 Toyota Celica GTS
I'm going to get one as soon as my exhaust project is finished grin

hmmm... i dn't know if it's worth it for 300 bucks. i was expecting a bigger gain.

//2k3 zephBlue celica

glitch #4290 Feb 20, 10:22pm
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
no its not worth it because S-AFC is RPM based and only has 2 loads (high and low throttle) for adjustments. Thats not enough adjustments for the ECU to believe everything is normal, once it detects abnormality it will readjust air/fuel curve to become stock settings again which negates all the settings you entered. This has been proven by me at Church motorsports, incase if you do not know this place they were interviewed by The Wallstreet Journal when they were doing a very informative interview in import racing which proves they know their $hit.
The Split Second I have is great but you have to get the FTC1-E model because this unit has partial throttle settings also. This unit not only can tune by rpm it also have more than 50 loads you can tune on. in easy to understand langauge loads means how much pressure you give your gas pedal more pressure more load. If dyno tuned correctly the ECU will not know anything is different from when it came out of the factory, but will retain the better air/fuel curve allow you to have more HP.

[ 02-20-2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Mike Lu ]

#4291 Feb 21, 12:07am
thanks mike, i really appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me smile

so would you say the split second one would be worth buying for a naturally aspirated celica?

//2k3 zephBlue celica

glitch #4292 Feb 21, 12:13am
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
yes but it is going to take awhile to have the dyno guy tune it right, if you do not have much mods and you will only see a few HP gains like <15HP I do not recommand it because you will spend a lot of money on tuning for only 15HP gain. However if you already got all the engine mods you know you want on the car and you want to squeeze extra few HP out of engine on the setup this is the only way to go I say go for it.
Now if you have the 3ZZ kit and you want to maximize the setup I would definately recommand this, you will see significant gains with this unit matched to 3ZZ kit. This is purely speculation but it is based upon data that supports this guess...

#4293 Feb 21, 12:26am
thanks again... does the 3zz kit require racing fuel because of high compression? and also, how the hell did they accomplish this? aren't the bore specs different on the 2zz head and 1zz block? sorry if this is a stupid question, i just dn't get it.

//2k3 zephBlue celica

glitch #4294 Feb 21, 11:05am
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
They replace bunch of stuff on the engine for the 3ZZ mod, but it looks like it will never reach U.S. shores. It does require 100 Octane fuel which no state in U.S. redily available at pump station... The other way to go is going boost like turbo or super charger, but there are no kits for this only custom job right now.
Neways to let you know how much its going to cost to tune this thing... tuning shops charges average $100+ a hour, for N/A applications it may take around a hour for boosted application around 4 to dial in perfect.