"The shift boot (vinyl or leather) is supported close to the knob by a plastic piece on the shifter assembly."
How do you remove the little plastic piece that keeps the boot close to the knob?
1. After unscrewing the knob, does the plastic piece simply slip off?
2. The chrome plastic ring--it is attached to the boot, right?
3. Does the chrome plastic ring interfere with the removal of the "plastic piece" that keeps the boot close to the knob?
1. The white plastic piece does just slip off after the knob and boot are removed.
2. The chrome plastic piece is attached to the boot, but can be removed by turning the boot inside out and snipping a zip tie, or untwisting a wire wrapped around the inside of the boot.
3. The chrome plastic piece won't interfere with the plastic piece.
To remove the boot on a 7th gen Celica, just squeeze the ring around the base of the boot and it comes up through the console.
Take a look at this page, there is an install manual for our shifters which could help you out, just scroll down the page a bit and you'll see the link:http://www.twmperformance.com/shortshifters/toyotashortshifters/celicashortshifters.htm
I hope this helps,