Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Ok, so it's time for me to renew my VA state inspection before the end of the month. So I go out today to get it taken care of. Most shops are too busy to take me in, and one turned me away because it was too risky to my car to drive it into the shop, being that my car sits lower and with a kit on it. They have a steep incline to get into the work bay. So I happen upon a shop that has time and takes me in. Here's where the weirdness begins.

Dude comes out, "You know it's illegal in VA to lower your car."

I'm thinking he's joking, so I play along, "That means that about 90% of the cars like mine are driving around illegally."

He says, "No, 100%. I'm serious."

I was blown away! He says that in VA it's illegal to alter your front suspension AT ALL. Never heard of that before. I have TRD coilovers that are sitting 1.5" lower all around. It's not like I chopped the factory springs. Luckily, he didn't slap me with a REJECTION sticker or make me pay anything. Now I'm confused to high hell. Has this ever happened to anyone? And here I am worried that my car will fail because of my HIDs and those weren't even an issue.

I know if I take it to a dealer, they'll surely fail me for the lights. So that's why I'm sticking to the mom & pop shops that might not know the laws regarding HIDs. Now it looks like I have two things to worry about.

[Linked Image]
"Everything that has a beginning, has an end."
-The Oracle

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
that's dumb. I've been to VA numerous of times, and they have some of the nicest imports out there...WHICH WERE LOWERED...and some almost hitting the ground. Weird.

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
That's what I said. He was just like, "They were lucky to get passed."

I always thought the law was that if your car has been lowered, then it had to be at least a certain height off the ground. Something like 4 inches of ground clearance. I have half a mind to raise my coilovers for the time being.

[Linked Image]
-The Oracle

ECelica Staff
2003 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2003 Toyota Celica
I'd have him pull out a copy of the vehicle code and show you were it states the before you take that word as final

"Be kind to animals... Hug a Hockey Player!"
AFLAC!!!

2001 Toyota & Acura Celica GTS
2001 Toyota & Acura Celica GTS
so what now he's got a list of height measurements for about every car that is made & also a measuring stick?
i think he's being an asshole. I do know it has to be really really low not to pass though..

Originally Posted by CRBN BLU
Ok, so it's time for me to renew my VA state inspection before the end of the month. So I go out today to get it taken care of. Most shops are too busy to take me in, and one turned me away because it was too risky to my car to drive it into the shop, being that my car sits lower and with a kit on it. They have a steep incline to get into the work bay. So I happen upon a shop that has time and takes me in. Here's where the weirdness begins.

Dude comes out, "You know it's illegal in VA to lower your car."

I'm thinking he's joking, so I play along, "That means that about 90% of the cars like mine are driving around illegally."

He says, "No, 100%. I'm serious."

I was blown away! He says that in VA it's illegal to alter your front suspension AT ALL. Never heard of that before. I have TRD coilovers that are sitting 1.5" lower all around. It's not like I chopped the factory springs. Luckily, he didn't slap me with a REJECTION sticker or make me pay anything. Now I'm confused to high hell. Has this ever happened to anyone? And here I am worried that my car will fail because of my HIDs and those weren't even an issue.

I know if I take it to a dealer, they'll surely fail me for the lights. So that's why I'm sticking to the mom & pop shops that might not know the laws regarding HIDs. Now it looks like I have two things to worry about.

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
here ya go dude!!!!
A. The steering and suspension systems installed and utilized on vehicles have evolved to where many different suspension systems are being designed, developed and employed on vehicles. To properly inspect the steering and suspension on vehicles, it may be necessary for the inspection to be made in accordance with manufacturer's recommended procedures in addition to meeting any requirements outlined in this regulation.

B. Inspect for and reject if:

1. Any modification has been made that affects normal functioning of the shock absorbers. The inspector should operate the vehicle when in doubt. (If there is no evidence of the convolutions (coils) of the spring hitting one another, one pair (2) of nonmetallic coil spring stabilizers may be present in each of a vehicle's front coil springs, provided the installation of the stabilizers does not cause the springs to be higher than their original height.)

Shock absorbers in fully extended or compressed position when vehicle is stationary will not function normally.

2. The front end suspension has been modified by the use of lift blocks (a lift block is defined as any solid piece of wood, metal, or other material placed between and separating the vehicle's front axle and the springs). This does not prohibit the use of shims that may be necessary to correct front end alignment.

3. Any modification has been made to the front end suspension which reduces turning radius, bypasses safety components of original steering mechanism or if there is any lateral movement between the axle and frame.

4. Any modification has been made to the suspension to cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the ground or expose the fuel tank to damage from collision.

Reject the vehicle if it has been modified by any means so as to raise its body more than three inches above the manufacturer's attachment points or the frame rail (exclude original manufacturer's spacers, washers or bushings when measuring).

5. Any modification has been made to cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operating conditions.

6. A motor vehicle has a repair kit or preventive maintenance kit installed on a tie rod end, idler arm, ball joint, or any other part of the vehicle's steering gear.

NOTE: The repair kit or preventive maintenance kit usually consists of a small coil spring and a plastic cap that is placed over the bolt stud of the component and held in place by a retaining nut. There is nothing in this paragraph that prohibits the replacement of parts or components of a motor vehicle's steering gear in order to correct deficiencies in the steering gear.

7. When checked visually, the wheels appear to be out of line or an axle is bent.

8. Any vehicle that shimmies or wanders up to the legal speed limit.

9. Rack and pinion steering bellows (boot) is defective or missing. Do not inspect CV boots.

10. Power steering is defective and affects adequate steering of the vehicle or power steering fluid in reservoir is below operating level.

NOTE: If the vehicle is equipped with power steering, the engine must be operating during testing.

11. Power steering belts do not have sufficient tension or are frayed or missing. The serpentine v-ribbed belt is more common versus the old v-drive belt and should only be rejected if a chunk of the ribbing is missing or a deep cut or crack exposes the inner fabric of the belt. (Do not reject for the many little surface cracks that appear in the ribs or back.)

12. Any modification has been made to any part of the steering or suspension system that affects proper steering or suspension or any part of the original suspension system has been disconnected.

NOTE: "All thread rod material" shall not be used as U-bolts in the suspension system.

Vehicles registered as street rods may substitute any part of the original suspension system provided the components are installed in accordance with the component manufacturers' specifications.

13. Any modification or replacement has been made to the steering wheel that affects proper steering. The steering wheel shall be rejected if the outside diameter is less than 13 inches unless original factory equipment.

14. Steering column has any absence or looseness of bolts or positioning parts, resulting in motion of the steering column from its normal position.

15. A spring is broken, sagging or misaligned, shackles are worn or loose, or if air springs are collapsed.

16. Vehicles designed for shock absorbers or cross stabilizer links if any are disconnected or broken, bent, loose or do not function properly.

17. Any front or rear axle or suspension positioning parts are cracked, broken, loose, worn, bent or missing resulting in shifting of an axle from its normal position. Any control arm or suspension positioning part using bushings for control, support and normal functioning is missing, deteriorated or damaged.

NOTE: All rear suspension parts including but not limited to control arms (upper and lower ball joints, radius or torque arms, stabilizer bars, and trailing arms) shall not have any damage or noticeable play when checked with hand pressure.

18. A MacPherson strut installed on a motor vehicle is broken, bent, loose or does not function properly.

NOTE: Do not reject a shock absorber or MacPherson strut unless there is evidence of leakage that causes the device not to function properly.

19. King pin play. If vehicle is equipped with king pins, first eliminate all wheel bearing movement by applying service brake. With front end lifted as illustrated for inspecting wheel bearings (Figure C), grasp the tire at the top and bottom and attempt to move in and out to detect looseness. Measure the movement at the top or bottom of the tire at the outer circumference.

Reject vehicle if measured movement at top or bottom of tire is greater than:

Wheel Size: 16 inches or less - 1/4 inch

17 to 18 inches - 3/8 inch

over 18 inches - 1/2 incH

For Steering and suspension, see Virginia Administrative Code print product.

20. Wheel bearing/steering linkage.

a. Lifting techniques vary for measuring wheel bearing movement. On vehicles with coil spring or torsion bar on lower support arm-hoist at frame (Figure A). On vehicles with coil spring on upper support arm-hoist at lower support arm (Figure B). On front wheel drive vehicles, the inspector must consult manufacturer's lifting information.

b. Front wheel bearings on rear wheel drive vehicles or rear wheel bearings on front wheel drive vehicles-With vehicle lifted properly, grasp tire at top and bottom, rock in and out and record movement. Wheel bearing looseness is detected by the relative movement between the brake drum or disc and the braking plate or splash shield. CAUTION: If air suspension vehicles are hoisted via body support area, air spring damage may occur if the air suspension switch is not turned off. Reject vehicle if relative movement between drum and backing plate (disc and splash shield) is more than 1/8 inch measured at the outer circumference of the tire.

c. Reject vehicle if any wheel bearing is excessively worn or not properly adjusted; any cotter key or other locking device is missing or inoperative.

21. Steering linkage play. First eliminate all wheel bearing movement by applying service brake. With vehicle lifted as shown in diagram and wheels in straight ahead position, grasp front and rear of tire and attempt to move assembly right and left without moving the steering gear. Reject vehicle if measured movement at front or rear of tire is greater than:

Wheel Size: 16 inches or less - 1/4 inch (6.5mm)

17 to 18 inches - 3/8 inch (9.5mm)

Over 18 inches - 1/2 inch (13mm)

a. Reject vehicle if there is noticeable play at any point in the steering mechanism except General Motors products. On General Motors products, reject vehicle if play exceeds factory specifications.

b. Reject vehicle if the steering mechanism is unusually tight or binding when turning the steering wheel completely to the left or right or the steering mechanism will not turn in both directions stop to stop.

c. Reject vehicle if the steering stops have been removed or adjusted in so that steering radius is reduced.

22. Steering lash/travel. For vehicles equipped with power steering, the engine must be running and the fluid level, belt tension and condition must be adequate before testing.

a. With road wheels in straight ahead position, turn steering wheel until motion can be detected at the front road wheels. Align a reference mark on the steering wheel with a mark on a ruler and slowly turn steering wheel in the opposite direction until motion can again be detected at the front road wheel (see diagram). Measure lash at steering wheel. Special lash-checking instruments may be used to measure free play in inches or degrees. Such instruments should always be mounted and used according to the manufacturer's instructions. Reject vehicle if steering wheel movement exceeds:

Power 2 inches

Manual 3 inches

Rack & Pinion (Power or Manual) 0.4 inch see note

b. Reject vehicle if inspection reveals excessive wear and/or looseness in any ball stud, end assembly, pivot point, mechanical linkage and/or if steering gear box has any loose or missing bolts, or excessive wear, and/or looseness is found at any other location in the steering that adversely affects the steering of the vehicle.

NOTE: No play is permissible for Volkswagen and Audi vehicles consult respective manufacturer's specifications.

23. Steering lash/travel; trucks.

a. Before inspection the vehicle must be placed on a smooth, dry, level surface. For vehicles equipped with power steering, the engine must be running and the fluid level, belt tension and condition must be adequate before testing.

b. With road wheels in straight ahead position, turn steering wheel until motion can be detected at the front road wheels. Align a reference mark on steering wheel with a mark on a ruler and slowly turn steering wheel in the opposite direction until motion can be detected at the front road wheel. Measure lash at steering wheel. Special lash-checking instruments are also available, measuring free play in inches or degrees. Such instruments should always be mounted and used according to the manufacturer's instructions. With vehicle raised, visually inspect steering linkage, ball studs, tie rod end socket assemblies and all pivot points.

NOTE: On vehicles with power steering, engine must be running.

c. Reject vehicle if steering wheel movement exceeds:

Steering Wheel Size and Lash

Manual Steering Power Steering

16 inches or 4-1/2 inches (11.5 cm) 16 inches or 2 inches (5.1 cm)

less less

18 inches 4-3/4 inches (12.0 cm) 18 inches 2-1/4 inches (5.4
cm)

20 inche 5-1/4 inches (13.5 cm) 20 inches 2-1/2 inches (6.4
cm)

22 inches 5-3/4 inches (14.5 cm) 22 inches 2-3/4 inches (7.0
cm)

d. Reject vehicle if inspection reveals excessive wear and/or looseness in any ball stud, end assembly, pivot point, mechanical linkage and/or if steering gear box has any loose or missing bolts, or excessive wear, and/or looseness is found at any other location in the steering that adversely affects the steering of the vehicle.

24. Ball joint wear (front and rear). There is a trend among U.S. automobile manufacturers toward the use of "wear-indicating" ball joints. Many vehicles on the road, however, do not have wear-indicating ball joints. The inspection of both types will be discussed. With the broadening use of rear suspension ball joints, their inspection shall be made in accordance with manufacturer's recommended procedures. Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4 illustrate the proper hoisting for checking most ball joints. On late model vehicles, it may be necessary to check for both horizontal and vertical movement. Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4 illustrate the proper hoisting for checking ball joints.

a. NOTE: To check ball joint wear on vehicles when the spring is supported on the upper control arm or when the spring is a part of a MacPherson strut or wear in any other type suspension not using ball joints when the front wheels are suspended on a solid axle, the vehicle must be hoisted as shown in Figure 1 or 2.

b. NOTE: Upper control arm must be stabilized in normal load carrying position by means of an upper control or other support tool to insure ball joint is in unloaded position.

c. NOTE: To check ball joint wear on vehicles not listed in above referred to section and diagram or tables when the spring is supported on the lower control arm; and to check the kingpin wear in any other type suspension not previously described when the wheels are independently suspended, the vehicle must be hoisted as shown in Figure 3 or 4.

25. Ball joints without wear indicators (front and rear).

a. Reject vehicle if there is noticeable play in the lower ball joint when hoisted as in Figures 1 or 2, or in the upper ball joint when hoisted as in Figures 3 or 4.

b. Reject vehicle if there is lateral movement in either front wheel in excess of 1/4 inch measured at the outside of the tire up to and including a 16-inch wheel; or in excess of 3/8 inch when the wheel is over 16 inches. This check must be made by grasping the tire at the extreme top and bottom and moving the wheel laterally across the surface. If play is noted, accurate measurement must be made by using the block test or with an accurate measuring device. No rejection should be made unless the specified tolerances are exceeded.

26. Ball joints with wear indicators. Support vehicle with ball joints loaded (in normal driving attitude). Wipe grease fitting and checking surface free of dirt and grease. Determine if checking surface extends beyond the surface of the ball joint cover.

Reject vehicle if checking surface is flush with or inside the cover surface.

27. American Motors Pacer (only). Position vehicle on level surface. Remove lubrication plug from lower ball joint. Check lower ball joint clearance by inserting stiff wire or thin rod into lubrication plug hole until it contacts ball stud. Accurately mark rod with knife or scriber where it aligned with outer edge of plug hole. Distance from ball stud to outer edge of plug hole is ball joint clearance. Measure distance from mark to end of rod. (Anything less than 7/16 inch is acceptable.)

Reject vehicle if distance measured is 7/16 inch or more.

28. Chrysler frontally driven vehicles (lower only). With the weight of the vehicle resting on the road wheels, grasp the grease fitting as shown below and attempt to move fitting. No mechanical assistance or added force is necessary.

Reject vehicle if grease fitting shows any movement.

29. Ball joints; light trucks. There is a trend among U.S. automobile manufacturers toward the use of "wear-indicating" ball joints on light trucks. Many vehicles on the road, however, do not have wear indicating ball joints. The inspection of both types will be discussed.

30. Ball joint wear; light trucks. Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4 illustrate the proper hoisting for checking ball joints.

a. NOTE: To check ball joint wear on vehicles when the spring is supported on the upper control arm or when the spring is a part of a MacPherson strut or wear in any other type suspension not using ball joints when the front wheels are suspended on a solid axle, the vehicle must be hoisted as shown in Figure 1 or 2.

b. NOTE: Upper control arm must be stabilized in normal load carrying position by means of an upper control or other support tool to insure ball joint is in unloaded position.

c. NOTE: To check ball joint wear on vehicles not listed in previously referred to sections, and diagrams or tables when the spring is supported on the lower control arm; and to check the king pin wear in any other type suspension not previously described when the wheels are independently suspended, the vehicle must be hoisted as shown in Figure 3 or 4.

31. Vehicles without wear indicator ball joint; light trucks.

a. Reject vehicle if there is noticeable play in the lower ball joint when hoisted as in Figures 1 or 2, or in the upper ball joint when hoisted as in Figures 3 or 4 above.

b. Reject vehicle if there is lateral movement in either front wheel in excess of 1/4 inch measured at the outside of the tire up to and including a 16 inch wheel; or in excess of 3/8 inch when the wheel is over 16 inches. This check must be made by grasping the tire at the extreme top and bottom and moving the wheel laterally across the surface. If play is noted, accurate measurement must be made by using the block test or with an accurate measuring device. No rejection should be made unless the specified tolerances are exceeded.

32. Ball joints with wear indicators; light trucks. Support vehicle with ball joints loaded (in normal driving attitude). Wipe grease fitting and checking surface free of dirt and grease. Determine if checking surface extends beyond the surface of the ball joint cover.

Reject vehicle if checking surface is flush with or inside the cover surface.

Statutory Authority

46.2-1165 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR545-01-07 11, eff. May 1, 1990; amended, Virginia Register Volume 10, Issue 8, eff. February 9, 1994; Volume 12, Issue 21, eff. August 7, 1996.

Amended, Virginia Register Volume 21, Issue 4, eff. September 22, 2004.

Effect of Amendment

The Sept. 22, 2004 amendment made substantial changes to the text. See the Virginia Register for the former text.

wet cars and fast dreams

CF Connoisseur
2004 Toyota Celica
CF Connoisseur
2004 Toyota Celica
wow that sucks you guys need ot get inspected. thank god for crazy florida redneck laws wink

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
^^ That's amazing!!

yourock yourock

Where did you find that? I've been trying to find it online for 20 minutes.

[Linked Image]
-The Oracle

ECelica Staff
2003 Toyota Celica
ECelica Staff
2003 Toyota Celica
here is the exact code regarding suspension modifactions froms VA's code site:

46.2-1063. Alteration of suspension system; bumper height limits; raising body above frame rail.

No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a passenger motor vehicle if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, are not within the range of fourteen inches to twenty-two inches above the ground. Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, the range of bumper heights for motor vehicles bearing street rod license plates issued pursuant to 46.2-747 shall be nine to twenty-two inches.

No vehicle shall be modified to cause the vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the ground, expose the fuel tank to damage from collision, or cause the wheels to come in contact with the body under normal operation. No part of the original suspension system of a motor vehicle shall be disconnected to defeat the safe operation of its suspension system. However, nothing contained in this section shall prevent the installation of heavy duty equipment, including shock absorbers and overload springs. Nothing contained in this section shall prohibit the driving on a public highway of a motor vehicle with normal wear to the suspension system if such normal wear does not adversely affect the control of the vehicle.

No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a truck if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, do not fall within the limits specified herein for its gross vehicle weight rating category. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,500 pounds or less shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,501 pounds to 7,500 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 29 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches. The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 7,501 pounds to 15,000 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 31 inches. Bumper height limitations contained in this section shall not apply to trucks with gross vehicle weight ratings in excess of 15,000 pounds. For the purpose of this section, "truck" includes pickup and panel trucks, and "gross vehicle weight ratings" means manufacturer's gross vehicle weight ratings established for that vehicle as indicated by a number, plate, sticker, decal, or other device affixed to the vehicle by its manufacturer.

In the absence of bumpers, and in cases where bumper heights have been lowered, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the frame rail. However, if bumper heights have been raised, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the main horizontal bumper bar.

No vehicle shall be operated on a public highway if it has been modified by any means so as to raise its body more than three inches, in addition to any manufacturer's spacers and bushings, above the vehicle's frame rail or manufacturer's attachment points on the frame rail.

This section shall not apply to specially designed or modified motor vehicles when driven off the public highways in races and similar events. Such motor vehicles may be lawfully towed on the highways of the Commonwealth.

(1973, c. 498, 46.1-282.1; 1978, c. 605; 1980, c. 342; 1986, c. 570; 1989, c. 727; 1991, c. 688; 1992, c. 864; 1993, c. 73.)

"Be kind to animals... Hug a Hockey Player!"
AFLAC!!!

Daaaaaaaaaamn! I'm gonna be in trouble, cause they do whats called "on-the-road
-inspections" here in Okieland. They pull U over and inspect! Be my luck to get a GOOBER! thumbsup

"I will be merciful.........and quick!"

2low2slow
2002 Toyota Celica GT
2low2slow
2002 Toyota Celica GT
i passed my utah inspection and my car is fricken low with the body kit, but when i was gettin an oil change the mechanic asked me if i was the legal height to get into the bay. idk guess it doesnt affect me

[Linked Image]
A boats a boat, but the mystery box could be anything....Even a boat!

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica
Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica
eek thats a long reply..

[Linked Image]

2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
Lets hear it for ALberta Canada, and no inspections. Man my winterbeater's exhaust is so had, if I don't drive, I basically get gassed inside my car.

waaaaahoooo! LOL

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
I've had the same problem in Northern VA. They ask me if the car is lowered and i just say no. If the springs arent cut they normally wont say anything further. Plus you need to find a "hook up". With me its $50 and i pass so long as nothings really wrong with the car like blad tires or something.

man, indiana doesnt have laws like that. laws like that are just straight up stupid.

man, indiana doesnt have laws like that. laws like that are just straight up stupid.

rem
Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica GT
fuck im gonna be in trouble too... i have a local shop here that just does inspections without lookin at the car.. just signs the papers.. lol but now that im moving to VA beach.. i wont have a shop that will do that... ah this blows

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by rem
fuck im gonna be in trouble too... i have a local shop here that just does inspections without lookin at the car.. just signs the papers.. lol but now that im moving to VA beach.. i wont have a shop that will do that... ah this blows

I finally got someone to do it. He did the basic job: make sure all my lights came on, horn worked, etc. Didn't go into too much detail. He didn't comment on my HIDs or the fact that the car had been lowered. So if you need someone, and you don't mind driving up to Hampton, I can hook you up.

[Linked Image]
-The Oracle

note, this is also the state trying to pass laws for "wearing pants to low" ie. if your boxers are showing you get a $50 fine. This was not geared towards the woman and not sure if it ever passed in congress but i know the bill was sent

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by Shadow_GTS
note, this is also the state trying to pass laws for "wearing pants to low" ie. if your boxers are showing you get a $50 fine. This was not geared towards the woman and not sure if it ever passed in congress but i know the bill was sent

ohboy Yeah, my lawmakers are embarrassing. It made us look like a bunch of idiots. It'll never get passed.

[Linked Image]
-The Oracle