Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#42230 Sep 4, 11:29am
2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
Is it true that a shield can protect your CAI from hydrolock? Also if hydrolock happens what can you do to fix your car?

[Linked Image]

ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
ECelica Staff
2004 GMC Canyon Z-71
u can get the heat shield but its not gonna stop everything...it helps a little...

And if you get hydrolock...Kiss ur engine good bye wave grin

Nole-hater
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Nole-hater
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Also, a water shield will block some of the air coming into the filter which will take away from the hp gains. If you are really worried about hydrolock, get a short ram, or dont drive through 1' deep puddles grin

[Linked Image]
In case you didn't notice its good to be a Florida Gator. Noles Suck.

2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
Im just not ganna drive in the rain i guess will use moms car and let the celi sit in the garage why risk it

[Linked Image]

Mean Old Hag
2001 Toyota Celica GT
Mean Old Hag
2001 Toyota Celica GT
Ok now I have an Injen CAI and I drive my car in the rain "all the time"...actually it is raining today. I had my CAI installed for about 3 months before I even put the heat/splash shield on...and I do not have a problem...

Just dont drive your car through a huge puddle at 35 Mph. slow down when you see a Big puddle cause you dont want to *submerge your filter in water. If you do Submerge your filter in water you will Hydrolock...its rare but does happen and if this does happen ...Bye Bye engine wave- your lookin at like $1000 minimun to replace ur engine... But I wouldnt worry about it..

Drive slow in the ran (speed limit) and dont go bustin through huge puddle like your drivin in a truck!

* (Submerge=flood, drench, completely underwater)

Some of the ugliest things took the longest time to make
And some of the easiest habits are the hardest one's to break!!!

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
i have a cai and when it rains i put duct tape over the slots in the wheel well. its a lot more protection than a sheild is, and when its nice out you just take off the tape and you dont have to deal with hp loss. its also a lot cheaper. thumbsup

a kid told me that celicas handle like crap... i laughed

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
what about a bypass valve?? are they 100% effective?

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by BakerGT
what about a bypass valve?? are they 100% effective?

well, nothing is completely effective in this case (some individuals STILL experienced hydrolock with a stock airbox). it IS better than the splash guard or k&n drycharger (it's a mesh cover that goes over any existing cone filter) but you will lose a little performance.

2000 Black Gts 6-Speed
Flux Capacitor With Di-Lithium Crystals

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
how does a short ram compare to a CAI with a bypass valve, performance wise?

2002 Toyota Celica GT
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by fastceli2001
i have a cai and when it rains i put duct tape over the slots in the wheel well. its a lot more protection than a sheild is, and when its nice out you just take off the tape and you dont have to deal with hp loss. its also a lot cheaper. thumbsup

Do you have any pics of that, to know exactly how you do it

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by StoneSour
Originally Posted by fastceli2001

Do you have any pics of that, to know exactly how you do it

Install: Watershield for CAI

For anyone with a cold air intake, you have or should have realized the risk involved with having your air filter so close to the ground and near the elements. The CAIs currently available for the Celica have the filter in the same location. Here is a way to make a watershield that will keep most of the moisture you encounter away from your filter.

You will need:

A plastic sign (approx 2' x 2') available anywhere garage sale signs are sold

4 - 1.5" bolts with matching nut

8 - 1" diameter washer that will not slide over nut or bolt head

Wire Ties

Black spray paint

Here is what you are trying to make. See how the sign is held to the fender well from the inside and the bolts are passed through the holes in the fender well to secure the barrier to the fender well liner? It's about that simple to do. Pull the plastic pins that hold the liner up so you have room to reach inside. Cut the sign so that it covers all the holes but still fits easily. Then poke the holes through the sign and bolt it to the fender well liner with the bolts and washers. Notice I am missing a bolt...make sure the nuts are tight! I used a few wire ties to secure the sign while I bolted it in. These also add a little stability to the barrier. Paint the sign and bolts black so that it is not easily visible.

You might also notice that I used a scrap piece of the sign to cover up where I cut too much liner away when installing the CAI. This helps keep the engine bay cleaner.

154537-DSCN1329[1].jpg

[Linked Image]
It's not just your imagination...
Your day really does go by twice as fast while on EverythingCelica.com

2000 Toyota Celica GTS
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
Also depends on your filter. I nearly hydolocked my car with a cheap Filter. The Injen on is on there noew and it works with no problems. I also have the shiled. I got mine on EBay for $20. I think it was worth it. It keeps 2/3 of the filter from getting splashed on.

2003 Toyota Celica GT
2003 Toyota Celica GT
wow this got one of those post it things i feel special grin

[Linked Image]

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
cheap but perfect fit universal heat shield/splash guard for $19.00 here: 2KRacing.com [2kracing.com]

2000 Black Gts 6-Speed

Poopy head
2004 Kia Sorento EX AWD (demo
Poopy head
2004 Kia Sorento EX AWD (demo
Thanks for pinning the thread!

Here's another option that was posted awhile back:

Taken from http://www.ivtecdaily.com/rsx/mods/cai.html

K & N DryCharger
There is a lot of paranoia related to cold air intakes. The thought of destroying one's engine, sends chills up most car people's spines. In my constant browsing of the message forums over at Clubrsx, I saw a post about some kind of cover for keeping the mud out of air filters on dirt bikes. So I started researching air filter covers and discovered K&N (the air filter on the DC CAI is K&N) makes a whole bunch of different filter covers. After looking though what they had available, I determined that the "DryCharger" would protect against water the best. Here is some information from K&N's site on the DryCharger:

The Drycharger is a silicone treated, polyester wrap that is made to cover your K&N Personal Watercraft Flame Arrestor. These DryChargers, which are similar to the K&N Prechargers, contain uniform micron sized openings that allow optimum air flow. Yet, due to the DryChargers silicone treated polyester wrap, the amount of water that reaches the flame arrestor is limited. The Drycharger uses a sewn in elastic opening to securely fasten it to the flame arrestor. Now you won't be hung out to dry after submerging your PWC.

I found out that the K&N Typhoon Intake for the RSX uses a RX-4870 filter. Assuming the DC CAI uses a similarly sized filter, I could use this filter's dimensions to figure out which DryCharger to buy. The RX-4870 filter has the following dimensions:
Inside Diameter: 2 3/4 inches
Filter Base Diameter: 6 inches
Filter Top Diameter: 5 inches
Filter Length: 6 1/2 inches

Using this information, I determined I should use a Round Tapered shaped DryCharger, K&N item number RF-1037DK (black). This cover officially fits the RF-1037 and 57-9012 filters, but also has the following dimensions:
Base Diameter: 6 1/2 inches
Top Diameter: 5 inches
Length: 6 1/2 inches

more info on K&N Precharger wraps: http://www.knfilters.com/wraps.htm

More info on K&N Drychargers: http://www.knfilters.com/marine/pwaccessories.htm

Results of RSX DC Sports CAI with DryCharger:
...I also removed the DryCharger since winter is over and the spring showers seem to be passing. There was a fair amount of dirt and water stains on the outside of the DryCharger, but the filter on the inside looked brand new. After removing the DryCharger I noticed there was more power starting at about 4000 rpms. How much power is debatable, but enough to "feel" which leads me to believe the DryCharger is more restrictive then I first thought. I am planning on re-installing it in the fall again, since I think the extra protection it provides in the winter is worth a couple ponies.

[Linked Image from ivtecdaily.com]

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
INJEN's Splash Guard / Heat Shield...

166734-screen.jpg

[Linked Image]

ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Admin
2001 Toyota Celica GT
166736-screen.jpg

[Linked Image]

2000 Toyota Celica
2000 Toyota Celica
wow, the injen shield is really nice compared to my generic one but for $19 bucks it does it's job

2000 Black Gts 6-Speed

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
i just wanted to share my experience today with everyone. i had my aem cai installed about 3 weeks ago and i was real worried about hydrolock as im sure many of you are. i read all the threads about it and everything. well today was the first day it rained since i had it installed and i was soo scared something might happen. i dont have the splash guard, i dont have the bypass valve, its installed how it comes. anyways i took fastceli2001's advice and taped those slots up in my wheel well with some masking tape. it takes me half an hour to get to school so i was driving in the rain for a good while and it was POURING. i thought the school would close early but it didnt. anyways, i drove slower than usual since it was raining and all, and also cause i was scared my engine would hydrolock. before i knew it, i was at school and my car was still running fine. i tried my best to avoid puddles but its hard to miss all of them. i recomend this advice to everyone. carry some tape arround with you everywhere you go, and its easy to remove. if its raining before you get a chance to put it on and your car is already otuside, slowley drive it to a place that is covered and apply the tape. i dont think hydrolock is that big of a problem now that ive successful driven in hard rain but then again, drive carefully and avoid deep puddles or rivers smile ok im done now. thx guys!

2003 Toyota Celica
2003 Toyota Celica
i have something i bought at walmart over my slots in the wheel well..its a black sheet of foamy like material that has adhesive on it already..works great..looks even better

MEOW!

2001 Toyota Celica
2001 Toyota Celica
Can you please post some pics of the thing you got from walmart.

Blue MnM
2003 Toyota Celica
Blue MnM
2003 Toyota Celica
Originally Posted by lv_boy
Can you please post some pics of the thing you got from walmart.
smile thumbsup

2001 Toyota Celica GT
2001 Toyota Celica GT
I HAVE A CAI AND I DROVE FROM TX TO CAL . IT POURED DOWN RAIN FOR ABOUT 4 HOURS AND I HAVE YET TO HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH MY ENGINE. IWAS ALSO FOLLOWING MY BUDDY WHO OWNS A MOTORSPORT CO. HE SAID THE WAY THE INTAKE IS DESINED, IT'S HARDER 4 THE WATER TO MAKE IT'D WAY TO THE ENGINE BECAUSE OF THE TWIST IN THE PIPING