Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 144
trikdcelica
Member
trikdcelica Mar 8, 12:10am - #413257 

Member
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 144
Corner, Al
Does anybody actually KNOW about an ECU UPGRADE?

DOES ANYBODY ACTUALLY KNOW ABOUT AN ECU UPGRADE? EVERYONE ACTS LIKE THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKIN ABOUT, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHO TO BELIEVE. I HEAR SOME PEOPLE SAY THEY WORK. THEN YOU GOT OTHERS THAT SAY THEY DON'T WORK. BOTH SIDES CLAIM THAT THEY KNOW FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. IS THERE LIKE AN EXPERT ON THIS TOPIC? IF YOU REALLY THINK YOU KNOW... ANSWER THE QUESTION. CUZ I DON'T HAVE A CLUE...LIKE MOST OF THE PEOPLE WHO ARE WRITING ABOUT THIS TOPIC. thumbsup
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 89
Jaques
Member
Jaques Mar 8, 12:19am - #413258 
2001 Silver Toyota Celica
Member
2001 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 89
as of now..no chips work for the DBW Celicas ('03 - '05) I believe. The best chip out there is the Apexi PF-C. It's a fully customizable ECU replacement. A Piggyback chip will not work on the celicas ECU, as after awhile the stock ecu knows somethings up, and makes any changes go away. Even though JET makes chips that work for other cars, it does NOT work for the celica.
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 538
zugzug12
Senior Member
zugzug12 Mar 8, 12:21am - #413259 

Senior Member

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 538
OKC,OK
Originally Posted by Jaques
as of now..no chips work for the DBW Celicas ('03 - '05) I believe. The best chip out there is the Apexi PF-C. It's a fully customizable ECU replacement. A Piggyback chip will not work on the celicas ECU, as after awhile the stock ecu knows somethings up, and makes any changes go away. Even though JET makes chips that work for other cars, it does NOT work for the celica.


I believe GReddy has us covered in 03-05's. smile

"I will be merciful.........and quick!"
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 144
trikdcelica
Member
trikdcelica Mar 8, 12:26am - #413260 

Member
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 144
Corner, Al
SO THEY WORK FOR '00-'02 THEN? OR NOT??? IF SO WHAT IS THE BEST UPGRADE? HAS ANYONE HAD IT ON A DYNO, OR HAVE PROOF THEY WORK?
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 89
Jaques
Member
Jaques Mar 8, 12:29am - #413261 
2001 Silver Toyota Celica
Member
2001 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 89
turn caps locks off please..it looks dumb and hurts our eyes...
if you want a chip that is PROVEN to work, get the Apexi PF-C. It's expensive, but worth it if you want a chip.
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,096
Eman
Black Sheep
Eman Mar 8, 12:30am - #413262 

Black Sheep
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,096
818, CA
grin
1953516640-MISC14.gif

Ima TuRD fa life
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 538
zugzug12
Senior Member
zugzug12 Mar 8, 12:33am - #413263 

Senior Member

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 538
OKC,OK
Originally Posted by trikdcelica
SO THEY WORK FOR '00-'02 THEN? OR NOT??? IF SO WHAT IS THE BEST UPGRADE? HAS ANYONE HAD IT ON A DYNO, OR HAVE PROOF THEY WORK?


Hang in there, GReddy is gonna EM me some facts and hopefully product #s. I'm lookin too!!!!!!!! I'm pretty sure they already have for yurs! thumbsup

"I will be merciful.........and quick!"
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 89
Jaques
Member
Jaques Mar 8, 12:36am - #413264 
2001 Silver Toyota Celica
Member
2001 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 89
Originally Posted by zugzug12
Originally Posted by trikdcelica
SO THEY WORK FOR '00-'02 THEN? OR NOT??? IF SO WHAT IS THE BEST UPGRADE? HAS ANYONE HAD IT ON A DYNO, OR HAVE PROOF THEY WORK?


Hang in there, GReddy is gonna EM me some facts and hopefully product #s. I'm lookin too!!!!!!!! I'm pretty sure they already have for yurs! thumbsup

This is a convo I had with someone from monkeywrenchracing

me: Do you know if the Apexi-PFC will ever be
compatible with the DriveByWire celicas?

him: Unlikely but there may be other solutions in the near future.
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,376
QTRMLR_1
Specialist
QTRMLR_1 Mar 8, 2:01am - #413265 

Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,376
Los Angeles, CA
as of NOW:

what works:

All years standard or auto:
Piggyback:
GReddy e-manage
Split Second PSC1, FTC1

For '00-'02 standard tranny:
Standalone:
Apexi PowerFC

there may be a special auto version of PowerFC from BrashBoy in Japan.

-----------------------------------
what may be available in the future:
HydraEMS
AEM EMS (pnp)

I get my kicks on EC.
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 538
zugzug12
Senior Member
zugzug12 Mar 8, 2:05am - #413266 

Senior Member

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 538
OKC,OK
Thanx very much QTRMLR_1, great news. thumbsup

"I will be merciful.........and quick!"
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 82
jeiger
Member
jeiger Mar 8, 3:30am - #413267 

Member
2001 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 82
Northern Virginia
I briefly asked MWR about the possibility of using a PFC in an auto celica. Their reply:

Sure. We need a car to use for testing. Would you like to volunteer?

Celicas are hard to come by in the Detroit area- especially autos. We've
never had one available for development.

[Linked Image]
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 538
zugzug12
Senior Member
zugzug12 Mar 8, 4:03am - #413268 

Senior Member

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 538
OKC,OK
Originally Posted by jeiger
I briefly asked MWR about the possibility of using a PFC in an auto celica. Their reply:

Sure. We need a car to use for testing. Would you like to volunteer?

Celicas are hard to come by in the Detroit area- especially autos. We've
never had one available for development.


Can't believe nobody's taken U up on that! confused

"I will be merciful.........and quick!"
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 82
jeiger
Member
jeiger Mar 8, 5:15am - #413269 

Member
2001 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 82
Northern Virginia
Not me, MWR.

I just asked them if brashboy can make a PFC work on an auto, why couldn't they.

They replied that they could with a test car.

I'd love to take them up on it, but I'm too far away.

[Linked Image]
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,242
Lucky_317
Specialist
Lucky_317 Mar 12, 2:57am - #413270 

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,242
Fontana, CA
there is also the HKS fcon but it's very rare. and tuning shops will charge you up the wazoo to tune it. Unlike the power fc you can't simply hook it to a lap top and tune it yourself.

YES, the power fc works great (2000 - 2002 models only)
nobody knows how it will do on an auto cause to my knowledge it hasnt been done on any of the forums.

the Power FC is not a "chip" it's a full standalone unit which means it completely replaces the stock ecu.

you can order the datalogit throught MWR and tune it yourself or you can pay an autorized shop to tune it for you. the gains will highly depend on who is tuning it.

if you search there have been some great threads made talking about the benefits of the power fc. I'm not about to re-type everything I've said 100 x before smile

Best 60' 1.959 best 1/4 - 13.7 @ 101mph
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,304
SLVCELI
Specialist
SLVCELI Mar 12, 3:12am - #413271 
2002 Liquid Silver Metall Toyota Celica GT
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,304
West Chester, Ohio
Originally Posted by Lucky_317
there is also the HKS fcon but it's very rare. and tuning shops will charge you up the wazoo to tune it. Unlike the power fc you can't simply hook it to a lap top and tune it yourself.

YES, the power fc works great (2000 - 2002 models only)
nobody knows how it will do on an auto cause to my knowledge it hasnt been done on any of the forums.

the Power FC is not a "chip" it's a full standalone unit which means it completely replaces the stock ecu.

you can order the datalogit throught MWR and tune it yourself or you can pay an autorized shop to tune it for you. the gains will highly depend on who is tuning it.

if you search there have been some great threads made talking about the benefits of the power fc. I'm not about to re-type everything I've said 100 x before smile


I will add that the powerfc supposedly works on every year of the gt since they dont have dbw (or correct me). Also someone on here said that Monkey Wrench Racing was willing to get the powerfc to work on a auto for anyone who would give them their car for a little while.

[Linked Image]
BETWEEN WHO YOU ARE AND WHO YOU COULD BE
BETWEEN HOW IT IS AND HOW IT SHOULD BE
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,242
Lucky_317
Specialist
Lucky_317 Mar 12, 9:17am - #413272 

Specialist
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,242
Fontana, CA
^^ yes, with the GT it works on all years.

Best 60' 1.959 best 1/4 - 13.7 @ 101mph
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
3_Dads
New Member
3_Dads Oct 16, 1:04pm - #449654 
2004 Silver/Black Toyota Celica TTR
New Member
2004 Toyota Celica TTR

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 3
Australia
ok, so I'm seeing a lot of 'No '04 and up' here... I have the '04 TTR Model, so what are my options here?

Funny how I started out by looking for an ECU Diagnostic cable and program (If it exists, please do let me know) to looking for a replacement ECU with positive pressure support.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated
Join the conversation - Register now or Sign in to add your comment


Moderated by  isaac 

Customize Your Toyota CelicaPrivacy Policy · About · Contact
CelicaHobby.com is an independent Toyota Celica enthusiast website. CelicaHobby.com is not sponsored by or affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. in any way. The Toyota and Celica names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
© CelicaHobby.com, 2001-2016