Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I have already purchased an AEM alternator pulley for my celica and happened to stumble upon the Unorthodox webpage. They have crank pulleys that weigh almost three lbs less than the stock one on my gt. My only concern is that it removes the harmonic balancer on the pulley (hence the new one weighing so much less). If I decided to get the Unorthodox then I couldn't use my AEM pulley because the Unorthodox crank pulleys are already smaller in size and would already be reducing the rotation of all my accessories. But my concern is, would I take a chance of decreasing my engine life for this upgrade. Does anyone have experience using these?

Poopy head
2004 Kia Sorento EX AWD (demo
Poopy head
I wish I had the answer for you. I know on the RSX that using an UR crank pulley DOES NOT involve messing with the torsional dampener (harmonic balancer). So MY car is safe...send an email to UR's sales department to get an official answer- I know they don't supply a crank pulley for a car if it means removing the torsional dampener.

05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
the AEM will not decrease your engine life...
the Unorthodox idk...

SUBARU TECNICA INTERNATIONAL

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
On the Unorthodox website they say that it won't hurt anything, but on the AEM website they say they don't do it because if it didn't matter removing it then car manufacturers wouldn't have put one on the car. I hate conflicting info.

Poopy head
Poopy head
talk with a UR sales rep and see if they give you specific info on your car.

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I will call them in the next hour. I will post what they say.

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I just got off the phone with them. The guy told me that there should be no long term effects especially on a four cylinder. He said that I should see an increase from 7-9 horsepower at the wheels with the undersized crank pulley and the stock size(but lighter) alternator pulley. A set would run me about $250.00. So does anyone want an AEM alternator pulley (new in the box) for a 2000-02 gt?

King of the Hill
2003 Toyota Celica GT
King of the Hill
2003 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by redracer311
I just got off the phone with them. The guy told me that there should be no long term effects especially on a four cylinder. He said that I should see an increase from 7-9 horsepower at the wheels with the undersized crank pulley and the stock size(but lighter) alternator pulley. A set would run me about $250.00. So does anyone want an AEM alternator pulley (new in the box) for a 2000-02 gt?

it wont work on 2003?

05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
05 WRB
2005 Subaru WRX STi
Originally Posted by IcEd blUe

it wont work on 2003?

no it will.

SUBARU TECNICA INTERNATIONAL

King of the Hill
2003 Toyota Celica GT
King of the Hill
2003 Toyota Celica GT
Originally Posted by VSGTS14

it wont work on 2003?

no it will.

iiin that case

hey red racer i'll take it off your hands

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
I don't see why it wouldn't work on at 03. I don't think they changed anything under the hood. My box just said to 02 probably because the 03 wasn't out yet when they made it...who knows. But yeah, you can have it. I paid 88.00 shipped but if you want it for 65.00 then you can have it. Its red by the way. Now just so you know I have never sold anything before so do you know the best way to go about it?

King of the Hill
2003 Toyota Celica GT
King of the Hill
2003 Toyota Celica GT
oh nevermind i was hoping it was blue or silver since my cars blue

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Yeah, besides if you put a red pulley on a blue car then you are commiting a fassion Faux Pas(pronounced FO-PA) and that just wouln't be acceptable here in the forum. If anyone else is interested in buying it my e-mail is [email]larose76@juno.com.[/email]

ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
ECelica Staff
2002 Toyota Celica GT
its hard to believe Unorthodox has crank pulley, why does AEM dont have one in the first place?

[Linked Image]

King of the Hill
2003 Toyota Celica GT
King of the Hill
2003 Toyota Celica GT

so will there be problems at all?? because im leaning toward unorthodox more than AEM now

ct
C'mon & hit me!
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
C'mon & hit me!
2000 Toyota Celica GTS

so will there be problems at all?? because im leaning toward unorthodox more than AEM now

just do a search at newcelica.ord...and i promise you you will lean back to AEM...the URs have more hp yes but i read at least a few articles that have people getting their engines f'ed up...and UR's response "maybe you didn't put it in correctlt"...now where could you find an "authorized UR installation place"???

King of the Hill
2003 Toyota Celica GT
King of the Hill
2003 Toyota Celica GT
GO AEM!!!

lol

2000 Toyota Celica GT
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Hey, it's me again. I did read several articles about Removing the torsion vibration balancing...yada yada. Bottom line is you will get more horsepower from weight reduction but you will hinder long term reliability. I will put my AEM on this weekend and will let you guys know about the stereo situation. Thanks for all the info.

Hey, it's me again. I did read several articles about Removing the torsion vibration balancing...yada yada. Bottom line is you will get more horsepower from weight reduction but you will hinder long term reliability. I will put my AEM on this weekend and will let you guys know about the stereo situation. Thanks for all the info.

There is a lot of rumors floating around about this so I thought I would attempt to clear them up.

First of all ONLY one celica had problems with the UR kit on his celica, and his engine died due to OIL starvation, because his motor burned a lot of oil and he didn't check it and boom it died. The engine failure was not related to the UR pulleys.

Second, any modification will decrease the life of your engine, you cant add more hp and expect the same motor to last just as long, more HP=more wear and tear.

Thirdly, You MUST install a crank pulley properly, with the correct torque settings, and run the correct belt, and improper installation will cause failure of the pulley and or engine. This install is only for the mechanically inclined.

fourthly, the crank pulley from UR for the GT and GTS celicas are identical, the waterpump pulley is only available for the GTS, the alternator pulley is identical also for both motors.

Fifthly C-one makes a crank pulley and sells it for about 180 USD, and it comes with the belt.

There have been no reported problems with either pulley.

I've had mine on for close to 3K miles and I haven't experienced any problems.

peace

Controlled Inertia
President
8.831 @ 79.8 mph (best 1/8 new motor 12/02/04)
2.007 (best 60')
All motor

ct
C'mon & hit me!
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
C'mon & hit me!
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
Originally Posted by Illusive

There is a lot of rumors floating around about this so I thought I would attempt to clear them up.

First of all ONLY one celica had problems with the UR kit on his celica, and his engine died due to OIL starvation, because his motor burned a lot of oil and he didn't check it and boom it died. The engine failure was not related to the UR pulleys.

peace

I'VE READ MORE THAN JUST ONE...THERE IS A FEW. CHECK NEWCELICA.ORG UNDER PERFORMANCE MODS AND DO A SEARCH. SINCE ur PULLIES GIVE OUT MORE hp I WANTRED THEM SO BAD...BUT AFTER MUCH RESEARCH AND SPEAKING TO A FEW PEOPLE WHO RACE AT THE TRACK...I DECIDED NOT TO GET ONE. I AM GLAD THAT YOURS IS WORKING PROPERLY BUT THERE HAS BEEN MORE THAN ONE INCIDENT...oh crap...i'm all caps. sorry this message did not mean to have a negative undertone to it thumbsup