Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread

#37408 Aug 19, 6:30pm
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you have an automatic GTS with Any type of intake... Im thinking about getting the Injen CAI because I hear so much good stuff about it here. =) And AEM doesnt make an auto GTS intake right? Cuz I like the sound of that bypass valve. So if anyone here has an auto GTS with an intake, i would really appreciate it if you posted pics here, and i wanted to know what the big dif was between auto and manual as far as intake, because AEM doesnt make one for auto..and i wondered what was so different under the hood as far as intake. Thanks everyone.

I have an AUTO GTS and have the Injen CAI. I had no problems installing it that would be due to it being an Auto. I really don't think there's much of a difference. I purchased mine used from a guy with a 6 speed manual.

Why settle for a lesser evil, Cthulhu awaits....

Blue MnM
2003 Toyota Celica
Blue MnM
2003 Toyota Celica
AEM makes one for the GTS auto coz i have it make sure that you order the gen 2 because thats the one that was made for BOTH auto and manual thumbsup heres a link to a previous post with pics of AEM gen 2 intake with the baypass valve attached to it click here

Last edited by tru_Asiatik_Pride; Aug 19, 2003 9:51pm.

I was also wondering what is the maintainance like on it??? When I took out my butterfly valve, and had it off for a while, whenever i started up the car when it was cold, i could floor it,and it would be giong like 5 mph... does anything to this effect happen with the CAI? Thanks

the dude
2002 Toyota Celica GT
the dude
2002 Toyota Celica GT
never had any problems like that w/ mine. gotta AEM CAI on my gt 5-speed. It'll be pretty loud when your car is warming up, (pipey sounding) but it dies off once your engine is properly heated. thumbsup

Originally Posted by TimBaaah
I was also wondering what is the maintainance like on it??? When I took out my butterfly valve, and had it off for a while, whenever i started up the car when it was cold, i could floor it,and it would be giong like 5 mph... does anything to this effect happen with the CAI? Thanks
I had that problem too with my bfly valve removed. I haven't had that issue with the Injen CAI in. Maitenence is minimal, just clean your air filter every so often. Its a reusuable air filter.

Jae
2001 Toyota Celica
2001 Toyota Celica
i have auto gts
and i do have injen cai
if you want the sound go for it, it sounds like nothing else in the world. And you get some hp at the top end.
But you gotta remember, you lose some torque at the low end, and auto gts has lack of torque at the low end.
So i think over all performance of the cai isn't that good for auto gts. Trust me i have it, and i wish i had got either short ram, or blitz air cleaner. There is more i want to say about injen cai, go head e-mail me at jkonquer34@aol.com

Jae
2001 Toyota Celica
2001 Toyota Celica
and guys just let you know for everybody, 6 speed and auto is totally different thing. Its like night and day for performance wise. And yeah you will have that problem with starting your car when its cold, with the injen cai. just warm it up like couple mins , you will be fine

Last edited by Jae; Aug 20, 2003 7:34pm.

2002 Toyota Celica
2002 Toyota Celica
If losing low end torque is an issue, get a drop-in element, like K&N or TRD filter element.

the butterfly is mostly there for niose reduction on the GTS, plus, it chokes the motor a bit at low revs to keep it a little torqier at low revs.

I'm still thinking of going with either a short-ram intake or stock intake with TRD filter element. the Exhaust work will free up the most HP in the long run. may go CAI, but hydrolocking is an issue out by me, maybe just use it when racing, and short-ram for daily driving.

You can always open the butterfly and cork the tube; see if you like how it performs with an open butterfly. if so, just get an intake. if lack of torque down low bothers you, get a drop-in element.

it's all up to the driver in the end.

I honestly do not feel a loss in low end Torque with the Injen CAI. It may dyno that way officially, but I can still launch failry well. If your that conscerned then do a break stand type launch smile
When lift hits it can literally yank my steering wheel to the right or left a bit. Its a beast with the Injen CAI and TRD Exhaust. I can't imagine with headers too smile