Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
drilled/slotted both? #366272 Jan 5, 4:49pm Jan 5, 4:49pm
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,230
Massachusetts
FloydianSlip6 OP
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica
FloydianSlip6 OP
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,230
Massachusetts
drilled/slotted both?
Looking for new rotors but don't have money for a full brake system upgrade, here's what I'm looking at... I have a silver car so I'm leaning towards the rotras:

http://www.hopupracing.com/rofrslrotoce.html

http://www.hopupracing.com/brfrcrropato.html

need to get around corrosion as I live on the ocean.

...go

Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: FloydianSlip6] #366273 Jan 5, 4:56pm Jan 5, 4:56pm
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,139
Woodland Hills, CA
ct
C'mon & hit me!
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
ct
C'mon & hit me!
2000 Toyota Celica GTS

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,139
Woodland Hills, CA
slotted thumbsup

i wouldn't get drilled unless they were casted


Originally posted by SKOOF:
yoru such a clown, i wish you lived in nyc, i would love to just give you the beating that youve probably never gotten in your life.
Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: ct] #366274 Jan 5, 5:30pm Jan 5, 5:30pm
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 982
Bellflower, CA
2002 Red Toyota Celica GT
Kim
GOD
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Kim
2002 Red Toyota Celica GT
GOD
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 982
Bellflower, CA
^ what he said.


[Linked Image]
Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: Kim] #366275 Jan 5, 9:02pm Jan 5, 9:02pm
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,982
San Diego, CA
Zero
Furi Kuri
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Zero
Furi Kuri
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,982
San Diego, CA
Slotted, i dont trust drilled, unless like CT said "they were casted." thumbsup


I've mastered the art of the After Image Technique.
Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: Zero] #366276 Jan 5, 11:43pm Jan 5, 11:43pm
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,873
Washington
cycocelica
daman
2000 Toyota Celica GT
cycocelica
daman
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,873
Washington
slotted

Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: cycocelica] #366277 Jan 6, 7:49am Jan 6, 7:49am
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,373
ATL GA
AZZKIKR
SHO - NUFF
2003 Toyota Celica GT
AZZKIKR
SHO - NUFF
2003 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,373
ATL GA
rotora slotted rotors www.motorgroove.com just over $100 for the fronts

Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: AZZKIKR] #366278 Jan 6, 8:06am Jan 6, 8:06am
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
it just depends on what you want.

drilled cools the brakes faster which means 'brake fade' takes longer.

slotted rotors stop your car faster (which is obviously good) but also eat up your brake pads a lot faster (which isnt so good).

getting both slotted and drilled isn't recommended because it reduces the strength of the rotor and it is susceptible to warping after continuous hard braking.

personally, i think the advantages of stopping a foot or two shorter with slotted rotors outweighs the negatives of buying brake pads more often. i've been in a few very close calls where just a couple of inches kept me from getting into a fender bender. stuff happens. and if you do rear-end someone, that right there will cost more than an entire liftime of brake pads.

you can also choose to use a softer tire when trying to slow your car down faster. more tread blocks make for betting stopping in the dry. tires with grooves through the threadblocks and contain a good amount of silica are very good for wet driving.

Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: Speed4TheNeed] #366279 Jan 6, 8:11am Jan 6, 8:11am
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,337
Pittsburgh, PA
celicadragon
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica
celicadragon
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,337
Pittsburgh, PA
so go slotted...no drilling unless its an all out race car and you can afford to replace rotors and pads all the time


respect the gt-s
Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: celicadragon] #366280 Jan 6, 8:17am Jan 6, 8:17am
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
to sum up what i said in my last post:

drilled holds virtually no advantage for a person unless they are very hard on the brakes or race their car competitively (such as autox)

slotted does hold an advantage for any person because it has the ability to grip the pads better...which will stop the car at slightly shorter distance (every little bit helps) but pads will need to be replaced more frequently.

if you are fine with the way your car stops now..just get oem-style rotors. the celica IS very light as it is and that is a tremendous help when trying to get to 0 mph. if you only want slotted or drilled (or both) because of the looks..i suggest you don't do it. (unless you show your car)

Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: Speed4TheNeed] #366281 Jan 6, 12:53pm Jan 6, 12:53pm
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,230
Massachusetts
FloydianSlip6 OP
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica
FloydianSlip6 OP
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,230
Massachusetts
I want better stopping power firstly, and I plan to build it to a show car so I want em to look nice as well. I think slotted is the way to go thumbsup thanks for all your help. How often would you say I'd be replacing the pads? What's the best pads to get?

Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: AZZKIKR] #366282 Jan 6, 2:35pm Jan 6, 2:35pm
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,139
Woodland Hills, CA
ct
C'mon & hit me!
2000 Toyota Celica GTS
ct
C'mon & hit me!
2000 Toyota Celica GTS

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,139
Woodland Hills, CA
Originally Posted by AZZKIKR
rotora slotted rotors www.motorgroove.com just over $100 for the fronts


wow..not bad...127 for the front and 99 for the rears!! thumbsup


Originally posted by SKOOF:
yoru such a clown, i wish you lived in nyc, i would love to just give you the beating that youve probably never gotten in your life.
Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: ct] #366283 Jan 6, 4:15pm Jan 6, 4:15pm
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,982
San Diego, CA
Zero
Furi Kuri
2002 Toyota Celica GT
Zero
Furi Kuri
2002 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,982
San Diego, CA
that is a bitchin' price thumbsup


I've mastered the art of the After Image Technique.
Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: Zero] #366284 Jan 6, 6:43pm Jan 6, 6:43pm
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 802
WI
Live42day
Senior Member
2004 Toyota Celica GT
Live42day
Senior Member
2004 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 802
WI
I had my eyes on the AEM Big rotor kit that keeps the oe caliper. Would that be a bad choice since they are both slotted and drilled? I'm doing more show than racing, but it's still a summer daily driver.


Originally posted by RICOGT:
i wanted to get the vac gauge because it constantly moves. more of a race feel i think
Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: Live42day] #366285 Jan 7, 9:35am Jan 7, 9:35am
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,373
ATL GA
AZZKIKR
SHO - NUFF
2003 Toyota Celica GT
AZZKIKR
SHO - NUFF
2003 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,373
ATL GA
most people advise against the AEM big brake rotor kit as they don't see a performance increase at ALL

Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: AZZKIKR] #366286 Jan 7, 4:08pm Jan 7, 4:08pm
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,230
Massachusetts
FloydianSlip6 OP
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica
FloydianSlip6 OP
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,230
Massachusetts
^ that's what I hear also

Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: FloydianSlip6] #366287 Jan 7, 6:19pm Jan 7, 6:19pm
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 802
WI
Live42day
Senior Member
2004 Toyota Celica GT
Live42day
Senior Member
2004 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 802
WI
^^ Good to know guys, Thanks! thumbsup


Originally posted by RICOGT:
i wanted to get the vac gauge because it constantly moves. more of a race feel i think
Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: Live42day] #366288 Jan 7, 9:35pm Jan 7, 9:35pm
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,227
New Jersey
H
hephaestus
Specialist
hephaestus
H
Specialist

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,227
New Jersey
AEM big brake kit is useless and a waste of money even for show.
I have the same slotted rotors as AZZKIKR and upgraded pads.
I figured I needed new pads so why not upgrade. I also figured that newer more aggressive pads will ruin my stock rotors more quickly. So I upgraded to new slotted rotors also (the GB) and everything is sound.
I have seen no more wear or brake dust because of the slots on both the rotors and pads.

Slotted rotors won't eat up a pad. That's a "misnomer" so to speak. There's no proof on that.
The slots dissipate brake pad dust, heat, and gasses which most or all pads now don't give off.


My tires are stickier rated at AA for traction and A for heat and are at 280 tread wear.
Much better than stock tires so I can stop on a dime and have once since I had everything installed.

Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: hephaestus] #366289 Jan 7, 10:03pm Jan 7, 10:03pm
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,230
Massachusetts
FloydianSlip6 OP
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica
FloydianSlip6 OP
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,230
Massachusetts
^ what pads you got?

Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: FloydianSlip6] #366290 Jan 7, 10:45pm Jan 7, 10:45pm
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,227
New Jersey
H
hephaestus
Specialist
hephaestus
H
Specialist

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,227
New Jersey
I have Project Mu NS as stated in the Axxis Ultimate thread.

Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: hephaestus] #366291 Jan 8, 10:18am Jan 8, 10:18am
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 864
Florida
UFCELI
Nole-hater
2000 Toyota Celica GT
UFCELI
Nole-hater
2000 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 864
Florida
So would it be bad to use oem pads with slotted rotors?


[Linked Image]
In case you didn't notice its good to be a Florida Gator. Noles Suck.

Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: Live42day] #366292 Jan 8, 12:22pm Jan 8, 12:22pm
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica
Speed4TheNeed
Caleb
2000 Toyota Celica

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 6,372
New Orleans, LA
Originally Posted by Live42day
I had my eyes on the AEM Big rotor kit that keeps the oe caliper. Would that be a bad choice since they are both slotted and drilled? I'm doing more show than racing, but it's still a summer daily driver.


as some people have already said...it's basically an aesthetic mod.

you don't really stop much shorter, but you won't stop longer either. it's pretty much an aesthetic mod. one thing the kit DOES do though is decrease brake fade...and does it very well. for the first 80% of pressure applied, it is greater than stock. that means when trying to slow down (but not completely stop) you will stop faster with the same amount of pressure applied on the brakes than in the stock setup. so it FEELS like your stopping distance is shortened because you can FEEL how well the brakes are slowing you down initially. and the last 20% of stopping pressure is less than stock, so that the stopping distance is shortened enough to justify the price. hopefully you got what i mean by this..if not feel free to shoot me a PM and i'll try explaining it better thumbsup

but to give AEM credit though...you don't WANT a big-brake kit that makes you stop much shorter. the reason is that because the big-brake kit only deals with the front-rotors. meanwhile, the rear rotors are untouched. as i said earlier about the first 80% being greater than stock--what do you think the rear is doing?? NOTHING AT ALL. this is because the rear brakes are designed to only give so much pressure to avoid swerving when you brake..but since the front brakes are now stopping harder the rears are basically just sitting there--which puts more stopping requirements on the front brakes (big brakes). this added strain on the front means the front brakes stop slower than they would have...which evens the playing feild with the stock brakes.

but anyway, in anything less than a total stop--big brake kits are decent. but it doesnt take a genius to figure out that total stopping distance is the only real thing that matters in braking.

Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: Speed4TheNeed] #366293 Jan 8, 1:24pm Jan 8, 1:24pm
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 802
WI
Live42day
Senior Member
2004 Toyota Celica GT
Live42day
Senior Member
2004 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 802
WI
Very well explained Caleb. Makes total sense. thumbsup


Originally posted by RICOGT:
i wanted to get the vac gauge because it constantly moves. more of a race feel i think
Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: Live42day] #366294 Jan 8, 2:10pm Jan 8, 2:10pm
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,230
Massachusetts
FloydianSlip6 OP
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica
FloydianSlip6 OP
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,230
Massachusetts
^^ There is one company that makes a big brake kit for the celi front and rear but the shit costs A LOT. That's why I'd rather just get new rotors all around and maybe a prettier caliper.

Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: FloydianSlip6] #366295 Jan 8, 4:11pm Jan 8, 4:11pm
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 802
WI
Live42day
Senior Member
2004 Toyota Celica GT
Live42day
Senior Member
2004 Toyota Celica GT

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 802
WI
Originally Posted by FloydianSlip6
^^ There is one company that makes a big brake kit for the celi front and rear but the shit costs A LOT. That's why I'd rather just get new rotors all around and maybe a prettier caliper.


Let me know how that turns out for ya. I was going to get the AEM but after reading the above I changed my mind.


Originally posted by RICOGT:
i wanted to get the vac gauge because it constantly moves. more of a race feel i think
Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: Live42day] #366296 Jan 8, 5:55pm Jan 8, 5:55pm
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,230
Massachusetts
FloydianSlip6 OP
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica
FloydianSlip6 OP
Specialist
2002 Toyota Celica

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,230
Massachusetts
i will tongue thumbsup

Re: drilled/slotted both? [Re: Speed4TheNeed] #366297 Jan 9, 6:44pm Jan 9, 6:44pm
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,227
New Jersey
H
hephaestus
Specialist
hephaestus
H
Specialist

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,227
New Jersey
Originally Posted by Speed4TheNeed
Originally Posted by Live42day
I had my eyes on the AEM Big rotor kit that keeps the oe caliper. Would that be a bad choice since they are both slotted and drilled? I'm doing more show than racing, but it's still a summer daily driver.


as some people have already said...it's basically an aesthetic mod.

you don't really stop much shorter, but you won't stop longer either. it's pretty much an aesthetic mod. one thing the kit DOES do though is decrease brake fade...and does it very well. for the first 80% of pressure applied, it is greater than stock. that means when trying to slow down (but not completely stop) you will stop faster with the same amount of pressure applied on the brakes than in the stock setup. so it FEELS like your stopping distance is shortened because you can FEEL how well the brakes are slowing you down initially. and the last 20% of stopping pressure is less than stock, so that the stopping distance is shortened enough to justify the price. hopefully you got what i mean by this..if not feel free to shoot me a PM and i'll try explaining it better thumbsup

but to give AEM credit though...you don't WANT a big-brake kit that makes you stop much shorter. the reason is that because the big-brake kit only deals with the front-rotors. meanwhile, the rear rotors are untouched. as i said earlier about the first 80% being greater than stock--what do you think the rear is doing?? NOTHING AT ALL. this is because the rear brakes are designed to only give so much pressure to avoid swerving when you brake..but since the front brakes are now stopping harder the rears are basically just sitting there--which puts more stopping requirements on the front brakes (big brakes). this added strain on the front means the front brakes stop slower than they would have...which evens the playing feild with the stock brakes.

but anyway, in anything less than a total stop--big brake kits are decent. but it doesnt take a genius to figure out that total stopping distance is the only real thing that matters in braking.


Thanks for the explanation I learn something new everyday.
All or most big brake kits for the Celica are for the front only. New 4 pistons or above calipers (if you can get custom), rotors, pads, SS brake lines, and brake fluid. Those same companies will sell you a better rear pad and rotor or even an upgrade caliper in the rear if need be (not that I ever heard of that for a Celica). They will figure in the whole front/rear and front to rear brake bias and come up with something that will work.
The AEM is a big rotor kit that doesn't do anything, but add weight, relocate the stock caliper, and give good looks.
I will almost write that stock pads and stock rotors with SS brake lines and better fluid will give the same results or better.
Just upgrading the pads and or rotors is more than enough and possibly overkill. The SS brake lines will help knockout the fade and so will the brake fluid. A great addition to any brake system.
I have heard, and I don't know if it's true, that most true big brake upgrades like TRD, Stoptech, Brembo, etc. will actually make you lose time 0-60 and the 1/4 mile or HP.

Like you said previously Speed4TheNeed, tires also make a very important part of braking.

Join the conversation - Register Now or Log In to add your comment


Moderated by  isaac 

Member Spotlight
xmangt1
xmangt1
2000 Toyota Celica GT
Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,587
Joined: July 2003
Thanks: This Website, Anyone Who Makes A Celica Look Good & my boy EXPEDI 1
Random: Too many to thank...XPEDI1,Isaac,Drivers Image,APC,AC,ABT Electronics,Kenwood...list goes on & on...
Show All Member Profiles 
Recent Topics
Resurrecting a 2000 GT automatic.
by cosmo64. 10/19/2017 1:19 PM
APR strut bar brace for 2000 GTS
by TweakMaster. 10/15/2017 8:02 PM
Help with vacuum hose
by Chaos. 10/15/2017 6:07 PM
My 2000 GTS
by TweakMaster. 10/14/2017 6:29 PM
Replaced bad MAF. Now getting p0300/p1300 CEL codes. HELP!
by Bblee1989. 10/14/2017 4:34 PM
What kind of rim is this?
by mariahjordan. 10/10/2017 8:05 PM
Changed Headlight but so Dimm
by smsih. 10/10/2017 2:55 PM
Anyone know this remote unlock key? trying to ID it!
by kieronboz. 10/04/2017 2:36 AM
Customize Your Toyota Celica Privacy Policy · About · Contact
Privacy Policy · About · Contact
CelicaHobby.com is an independent Toyota Celica enthusiast website. CelicaHobby.com is not sponsored by or affiliated with Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. in any way. The Toyota and Celica names and logos are trademarks owned by Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc.
© CelicaHobby.com, 2001-2017
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Snapshot build 20171020)